The Manly challenge was the boost George Rose needed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MELBOURNE Storm recruit George Rose says the thought of facing Manly in the opening round was the “boost” he needed to survive Craig Bellamy’s torturous pre-season campaign.

The opportunity to meet his former side in Round 1 served as motivation as he adjusted to his new home and a pre-season regime that included a hellish pre-Christmas training camp.

Read More

MELBOURNE Storm recruit George Rose says the thought of facing Manly in the opening round was the “boost” he needed to survive Craig Bellamy’s torturous pre-season campaign.

The opportunity to meet his former side in Round 1 served as motivation as he adjusted to his new home and a pre-season regime that included a hellish pre-Christmas training camp.

But in Rose’s darkest moments — which included thoughts of telling Bellamy where to go and jumping on the first flight back to Sydney — the big man would remember what he was working towards.

“It was halfway through the pre-season and I remember someone called me to say we’ve got Manly in Round 1,” Rose said.

“It was a good boost actually.

“I’ve had a bit of banter with some of the Manly boys, so if I’m a part of it I will look forward to playing against them.

“I may as well get it out of the way in Round 1 otherwise I will be stewing on it all year.”

Rose has been pushing hard to be part of Bellamy’s 17-man team for Saturday night’s clash with the Sea Eagles.

He is a strong chance to meet his former side despite the strong competitions for spots in Melbourne’s forward pack this season.

With Manly’s forward stocks a tad thin for the season opener, the potential impact of Rose off the bench should see him given the nod.

The big front-rower is a cult hero and was a much loved figure at Brookvale Oval for many years.

But Rose expects a different kind of reaction coming back in a Storm jersey.

“They’re pretty passionate fans there (at Manly),” Rose said.

“I won’t expect t a cheer — I’ll expect boos.

“It’s part of that club’s history as well — you don’t support the opposition and I think it is the same here.”

Rose joined Melbourne after playing in Manly’s grand final loss to the Sydney Roosters last year.

The prop played a big role in securing a grand final spot for the Sea Eagles.

He helped turn the game in Manly’s favour with his impact off the bench in the side’s preliminary final against South Sydney.

But the grand final defeat remains a sore topic.

“You play with the intent to win the grand final every year,” Rose said.

“To go so close last year hurt — I felt we were in a position to win that game.

“It wasn’t to be and it is the same here at Melbourne — they were pretty disappointed with how they finished the season.

“It’s good to come down here and know I’m part of a team that is working hard after what happened last year because I’m the same.”

Nick Smart

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/first-round-manly-challenge-boost-melbourne-recruit-george-rose-needed-to-get-through-preseason/story-fn2mcuj6-1226842943495

Jethro said:

Read More

He is a funny bugger Gorgeous George. I bet Bellamy couldn't wait to get his hands on our George. Lol

Gotta love George. But I hope we have sufficient forwards left to smash him good and proper, along with his newfound southern mates.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4