The Legend known as ... The Game Plan ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Oh look another 'Des is over the hill' thread poorly disguised as a probing question conundrum.

The Game plan is sound but the cattle are not. If you don't have the quality you don't stand a chance.

The 6 again game has left us behind excuses are all BS. Our roster is unfortunately too thin to get the job done once the superstars fall over.

I used to laugh when people like Paul kent went on about our roster being too thin to legitimatly challenge for the top prize. Unfortunately they were correct.

Since 2014 we have relied on bad boy signings that other clubs let go and journey men who come cheep.

Des was able to get them up last year but with tommy - DW and MF all out for most of the season the replacement players just don't stack up. Oh and before you start on about youth thats not the golden ticket either.

Good news is that the 'old boss man' will get another crack again next year with a roster he's at least had a hand in building.

Hit the nail on the head there in my opinion.

It's a modern day term but they don't call it "the spine" for nothing.
3/4 of our spine has been missing for most of the year at varying intervals, the one left has to try to carry the can. When we had 2 or 3 playing consistently we could more than compete and the rest of the team could play with a bit of confidence.
Add in our centres missing here and there forcing a bench backrower to cover and it all gets a bit much, starting props injured, concussed, suspended also at different times.

All these factors compound to where we are now as well a few players out of form.

I'm willing to bet that if you took Gutho and Moses out of Parra for a decent length of the season they wouldn't be where they are now, same as Cleary and Api @ the Panthers.
The Storm had Munster, Smith and Hughes out and couldn't win no matter how well Pap played.
The Raiders have only Hodgson missing from their spine long term.

Our game plan last few weeks has been Des's attempt to introduce Taoism.
However like most novices to the Tao, he has misinterpreted We-Wei to mean action by inaction, this is not correct.
It's more about not fighting against the stream, but guiding your way down river.

its good having a lot of sex isn't it

Thanks for that .. I love a balanced opinion ...
Ha Ha, I knew you would. Trent send's me off balance :drunk: and just to confirm my numb nuts opinion about him, he definitely had no structure or gameplan. Des has one at the moment, It is the wrong one for us, but unfortunately a lot of our crucial position players can't execute it.

Don't go to the Bulldogs we need someone here to keep us honest @;)

Last edited:
I rate Des as a coach but in my opinion his game plan is the area he needs to improve in. Not when it works and is executed correctly but when it doesn't.

We have knocked over the chooks and eels (twice) and fallen short by 2-4 points several times.

What Des needs to change is his attitude to failure. You cannot achieve continuous improvement or high performance without performance measures. When the team or an individual dont hit them it SHOULD be next man up (forget age, you are in the top 30 you are next man up).

Unfortunately Des seems to think that giving the same players a go again the following week who knocked on 3 times or missed 8 tackles is the go. It isnt. It signals to the whole team there is no consequence for failing to do your job. Performing under pressure is part of thos job description. If you can't perform well enough to keep the bloke below you in the pecking order out of the side you don't deserve your spot.

Coaches when they get this right end up with a selection headache. That's a bloody good sign they have got a high performamce culture in place.

Example Bennits rabbits. 2 qld origin players are out in lowe and gagai. Brings in an uncapped masters and let's sirro jr play. What happens when the qlders return. Selection headache. What does this create. Competition from Training to the paddock.

We don't have this. Infact this year we have the opposite. Cust and Ola both had mom games and were dropped the following week. This is an absolutely horrific selection policy.

Anyway, I think the up and in d is dead and needs changing. In terms of game plans and tactics Des has this in spades. He has to improve on developing a high performance culture under adversity and it all starts with getting team selections right. He has not. I would argue Garrick went to **** after he was played out of position at fb vs St. merge. Funa at fb was a train wreck last week.

Rugby leagues unwritten rules you are only as strong as your weakest link and you dont weaken one position to strengthen another.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2