The lack of wrestle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

double hoops

First Grader
In 2018 the wrestle gives such an advantage around the ruck.

Especially in the forwards. As a team we have to be one of the worst at putting the opposition players on their back in defense, and with the ball finding our stomach.

The Titans forwards just gave our boys a lesson in this area today, and the advantage they got within the rule by getting a quick play of the ball, over our slow as sets. It killed us.

Way more work on the BJJ mat needed.

I am not sure every club gives this part of the game, the same degree of attention, or allocate the same amount of time to their BJJ coach to hone players skills.

Sadly in the current day, winning the wrestle is the difference between earning the right to deprive a team a quick play of the ball, and having a set defence or being on the back foot, and out of position around the ruck.

It is a double edged sword. Your at a disadvantage if you can't find your stomach with the ball. Your at a further disadvantage if you can't stop the opposition finding their stomach.

Not saying I agree with this rule.

But as long as the refs give the defender more time to lay on the player if they roll the bloke with the ball on his back.

That we really suck at it, is bloody hurting.

So, are you telling me the Tigers are good wrestlers?
What about the wrestling champions, the Storm. How are they going this year?
Advocating that we need more wrestling in our sport is like advising Trump he needs more hairspray.

We get penalised if we hang on any more than 2 seconds
Titans were averaging 3 -4 second each tackle
2 sets of rules

This is the problem, all subjective and the refs can easily decide what is or is not a penalty and could blow a penalty every set.

This sort of penalty needs to be 6 again from a tap start to reduce the influence of the NRL oops I mean refs on a game

Sorry to rebirth this thread on game day but it remains an issue and a weakness in our own team. I caught about a 20 minutes chunk (second half maybe) of Storm v Raiders and Melbourne are not only up to their old tricks they have gone to another level. Almost every raiders runner was expertly twisted onto their backs. Raiders at times tried to do likewise but not with a great deal of success. It meant that on every play the ball Storm had an extra half-to-one second advantage in reforming their line, and if you think that doesn't add up to a huge advantage in the modern game then go back to sleep!
Injuries etc can turn everything upside down but Storm are my early premiership favourites, because Bellamy trains them to wrestle. A plus for us is that at times Hasler has found ways to counter him over the years.

@SeaEagleRock8 I posted this in the “other games” thread... you’re spot on...

“Jesus but the Purple Scum are good at controlling the ruck speed. If you watch them, they hold a player up until juuuuuust before the “held” call, locking him up with a minimum of two tacklers and ensuring he can’t offload, then a third player topples them all.. effectively they ground the man after the held call, have gained time enough to get back onside, then gain a few more seconds by dropping him late with two players on top. They have plenty of time to get the markers set, the line set and the third man in back to the line, and they do it with ease because they time their actions so well.

It’s not cheating, but it’s a damn clever use of the ruck rules and understanding of exactly how they are policed..”

@SeaEagleRock8 I posted this in the “other games” thread... you’re spot on...

“Jesus but the Purple Scum are good at controlling the ruck speed. If you watch them, they hold a player up until juuuuuust before the “held” call, locking him up with a minimum of two tacklers and ensuring he can’t offload, then a third player topples them all.. effectively they ground the man after the held call, have gained time enough to get back onside, then gain a few more seconds by dropping him late with two players on top. They have plenty of time to get the markers set, the line set and the third man in back to the line, and they do it with ease because they time their actions so well.

It’s not cheating, but it’s a damn clever use of the ruck rules and understanding of exactly how they are policed..”
It is NOT in the spirit of the game & is not how Rugby League was intended to be played. They are purple scum, the filth of the NRL.

It is NOT in the spirit of the game & is not how Rugby League was intended to be played. They are purple scum, the filth of the NRL.

That they are, but it makes them bloody successful.

I thought with the loss of Gronk and Studs First they’d be well back in the pack , nup, probably favourites already and I’d say this is exactly the reason why they are so successful!!

If you get away with it and get winning results its fair game - 100% spot on needed and think Hasler showed some of this though lost last week

That they are, but it makes them bloody successful.

I thought with the loss of Gronk and Studs First they’d be well back in the pack , nup, probably favourites already and I’d say this is exactly the reason why they are so successful!!
Melb are just more professional and disciplined in all the fundamentals of the game, basically they just do what others do but better and done with intelligence.(is that not the end goal all teams strive for)

Discipline,structure,professionalism,smarts and good scouting keeps the Storm performing at a level that always challenges the top 4, Hasler almost mirrored the Storm in these areas also.

I've been hounding people here for over a decade that there is more to Melb's performances than the simplistic "oh the purple scum cheat the cap or dominate the wrestle"----you have to admire and respect what Bellamy has achieved.

Manly purchased Storm players to up the level of performance to win Haslers first GF, Roosters did the same and won a GF instantly, QLD benefited for a decade----from the Mid 2000's to now really has been for the most part the Bellamy era in shaping the game and professionalism.

The way the Storm polished up and made boring second man plays effective in the early part of his career, now for the last few years pushing the Storm to move away from second man plays and more risky face balls and offloads---even more wide spread face balls from Dummy half----Cam Smith is still trying to improve his ball delivery and passing strengths from the ground---especially with his sharpness out of dummy half not what it used to be.

100% agree mate.. it’s legal: but dirty.

Which is pretty much the best way to describe the Purple Scum in general lol

Sorry to rebirth this thread on game day but it remains an issue and a weakness in our own team. I caught about a 20 minutes chunk (second half maybe) of Storm v Raiders and Melbourne are not only up to their old tricks they have gone to another level. Almost every raiders runner was expertly twisted onto their backs. Raiders at times tried to do likewise but not with a great deal of success. It meant that on every play the ball Storm had an extra half-to-one second advantage in reforming their line, and if you think that doesn't add up to a huge advantage in the modern game then go back to sleep!
Injuries etc can turn everything upside down but Storm are my early premiership favourites, because Bellamy trains them to wrestle. A plus for us is that at times Hasler has found ways to counter him over the years.
And there is more to come, Hasler and Bellamy will love the reduced emphasis on penalty counts, Hasler is smiling all over again.

We were up there with Melbourne in the wrestle during the Hasler era - I suspect we will be again in 12-18 months time.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8