The Haumole Bible.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Manly forward reportedly lands lucrative mid-year pay bump​

The 24-year-old is contracted until the end of 2025.​

MITCH KEATING
EDITOR | MAY 9, 2023 - 4:22PM
Manly forward Haumole Olakau'atu has reportedly earned a $200,000 pay bump thanks to his form that has him in the frame for an Origin debut for New South Wales.
Olakau'atu extended his contract with the Sea Eagles late last year during his World Cup campaign with Tonga, with Manly prolonging the back-rower's tenure for a further season to see Olakau'atu penned until the end of the 2025 season.

The 24-year-old's blistering start to 2023 has seen the Guildford native emerge as a potential debutant for the Blues in Adelaide later this month, while the Sea Eagles have moved to hand their exciting forward an immediate pay rise given his value to Anthony Seibold.
According to The Sydney Morning Herald, Manly will hand Olakau'atu close to $200,000 on top of his current contract as they look to satisfy their try-scoring second-rower amid plans to retain him for the long haul.

It is understood that the Sea Eagles have been able to afford the wiggle room following a swap deal that saw Viliami Fifita and Alec Tuitavake depart the club while veteran forward Aaron Woods made the move from St George Illawarra to Manly.

The pay increase is expected to have Olakau'atu among the pay grade of the league's best-performing second-rowers of 2023, with the Tongan international in line to pocket more should he secure a New South Wales jumper in the coming weeks.

Olakau'atu has gained the backing of his peers and coaches to be part of Brad Fittler's squad for Game 1 of the 2023 Origin Series, with Seibold praising his young forward's start to the year.
"I think he's had a really positive start to the season," Seibold last month.
"I'm biased, but he's played 80 minutes I think every week and I think he's had a really good start to the season, so I feel like there's some maturity to his game. I feel as though he's certainly given himself an opportunity to be in the conversation.

"Hopefully, the selectors consider him, but I would never tell another coach who they should or shouldn't pick."
Olakau'atu has played nine games for the Sea Eagles in 2023, scoring five tries and averaging over 130 metres.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont understand why this isn't done with an extension.

Rather than just give him 400k as an act of goodwill and hope that helps. Say 'Well offer you an extra 200k these next two seasons but we add a year on the deal at 700k or whatever it is in 2026'

Last edited:
You saw Haumole run onto the ball at pace more often when Foran played at 7 during Origin last year.

Why? Foran (and also Schuster and Glenn Stewart) ran to the line, straightened, drew defenders then gave early ball to the outside players. Not complex, but the outside players understood what was happening and it allowed them to do their job.

DCE causes indecision when he has the ball in hand. He runs across field looking for a gap himself first, then when that option closes, he either passes it to someone now standing flat-footed, or stops, changes direction and does something different. In this time the support runners have had to stop their run because they have had to second-guess what DCE is doing and react to it.

This is not a groundbreaking observation because it has happened since 2011. The difference being that back then it was Glenn Stewart opening up the space on the right of the field and it was often DCE being a support runner (not the other way around).
With all due respect those 2 games were against The Tigers ( 16th ) and Warriors (15th) . We had 56% of possession in both matches . Aloiai ran for 226M V Tigers and scored a try. Haumole played 68min and 58 min in those 2 games.

Don't get me wrong, I agree totally he needs to run onto the ball a lot harder.

It's no coincidence that Fifita at the Titans is hitting peak consistent form playing outside Foz.

A half should play direct and dig in, and marshall his runners. Such a shame Haumole plays outside DCE

Not up for origin, game needs consistency, he comes in and out of games.

Not the lone soldier with a poor game today.

He is almost always DCE's go to on that side of the field. Sharks know it and he was marked heavily, but he still looked more dangerous than most of our side out there.

Wasn't at his best today, but imagine the experience of being around or in the Origin team, I feel it'd take him to another level. It's hard to be amazing in this team. But, his lack of passing may drive Koula to Rugby union.

Was heavily marked today.

Fitzgibbon is a smart coach.

Nothing wrong with Haumoles effort 14 runs for 131 metres and 28 tackles.
Just saying he had 14 runs doesn’t tell the story. He basically WALKS into the defence each time. Compare and contrast him to Nikora (or any of the sharks players actually) and tell me he’s putting in 100% effort. No where near it. He’s not even close to origin standard.

You could put the 4 on his back doesnt get involved like he should goes missing on the edges when he should come in and give the team some hard yards up the middle instead of making turbo do it and when he does eventually run hes flat footed and has minimal impact outwide

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4