The great Norm Provan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

R.I.P

Rugby league’s 13th Immortal, Norm Provan, has died aged 88.

The second-rower known as Sticks played 256 matches for the then-St George Dragons and was a key part of the side who won an astonishing 11 straight premierships between 1956 and 1966.

Never saw him play but a true giant of the game, in every way. Quite an iconic figure in rugby league for sure.

My neighbour took me to the 1965 grand final, I was 14, he was a member and I had to pretend I was his son so I could get in to the members stand with him and one of his other sons ... I don't remember much other than saints beating the bunnies and that his fb holden had red and white ribbons .... I didn't care too much, I was already a Sea Eagles fan .... but RIP to an immortal and a decent human being.

If I were an immortal I’d be looking over my shoulder, there is clearly a “curse” on them. At least 4 are now dead.

RIP Norm Provan

As a player he had arguably the single best record in Australian (Sydney) premiership history. Fully deserving of being an Immortal (though IMO it should have happened much earlier than it did) and of being depicted (with Arthur Summons) on the NRL's Premiership Trophy.

Condolences to the Provan family and Norm's friends.

I'm sick of hearing the complaints about the brookvale turf. Have you seen the photos of that 1963 grand final? The SCG looks like a boggy pig pen.

1950s-rex-mossop-tackled-by-norm-provan.jpg

Well very sad to read that no one from the nrl bothered to attend his funeral, understandably it was in qld so difficult for many to attend but 2 on the commission and annesley all live in qld. Wayne Bennett attended but not as a representative of the nrl. Would hate to think how much annesley gets paid for doing diddly squat, he is the nrl 2IC and absolutely should have been there. That is pretty poor form.

I swear I saw him being walked around in a pram not so long ago, and looked fine. Sad to hear the news.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4