The Good, The Bad and The Ugly report - WCC

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
I wasn't going to bother with a GB&U report for a non NRL game that's basically a glorified trial game, but given the loss and completely misleading scoreline it's important to set the facts straight before the doomsayers lose the plot.

THE GOOD:
1st half:
Very little field position in the first half, it was an age before we even had one decent attacking set in their 20. Despite all this and a rampant excited Leeds coming at us the score was still only 6-0 down for some time. We worked a good right side move into their corner and Brett simply had to dummy and he was a dead certainty to score. Instead he unselfishly decided to attempt a corner pass to Wolfman but it was ill timed and they took a 90 metre intercept to score. Unlucky.

Despite then having to battle and even more rampant Leeds with a 12-0 lead Foran found a perfect inside ball for Brett to score under the posts and peg it back to 12-6. A late half cross field kick out to Wolfie's wing and their winger Hall out leapt him to score. We go to the break trailing 16-6 having basically no decent time in their 20.

2nd half:
We come out looking better and start building a solid platform to mount a win. DCE scores a neat try and we only trail 16-12. The match feels like it's ours to take and everybody is working hard to get better field position. Suddenly our rusty bike is finding better gears and players who seemed quiet in the first half are now looking ominous. Foran, DCE, Watmough and T Rex all look likely to cause damage.

With about 8 minutes to go you can feel a Manly try and a sapping moment for Leeds as we hit the lead for the first time and take the match. Everyone can see it, even the mind numbingly grating bores Hemmings and Stevenson in the commentary box. A dangerous bomb goes up and Webb spills it cold. A Manly scrum 15 out would be a massive opportunity to win the game, but the referee Klein says it was knocked backwards. Really? POOR DECISION NO.1

Minutes later T-Rex is penalised for a high shot but the replay shows it's a love tap on the shoulder. POOR DECISION NO. 2

Minutes later again Leeds attack out wide and score in the corner to win the game. But the replays shows it was a blatant forward pass. POOR DECISION NO. 3

3 critical decisions in the space of a few minutes and it's game over. Leeds score a last minute pin ball try to give them a totally flattering and misleading scoreline of 26-12.

Plenty of good for mine - we were right in it until 3 unlucky decisions in a row in the crucial last minutes changed the entire match - our halves showed they will be a handful again in 2012 - we suffered no injuries of note whatsoever - we won't be getting carried away like we did in 08/09 celebrating - and we can come home safely and focus on the real deal of March 4.

Joey Johns added it was a tough night against a determined Leeds and we were not only right in the match but more importantly we will be right up there in the top 4 for 2012.

THE BAD:
A few sloppy attacking efforts at times but what would anyone expect after 5 months? Is it just me or do a couple of our boys look a little overweight? Glenn Stewart included.

THE UGLY:
3 dreadful referee decision in the final 7 minutes decided the game and handed Leeds a very flattering score line.

In summary:
- our first game for 5 months (you can't count a 31 player reserve grade trial v Sharks)
- 98% of crowd passionate vocal Leeds supporters
- 3 unlucky ref decisions in final 7 mins
- excellent stats of 83% completion, only 8 missed tackles, and only 7 errors underlining a very misleading score
- no injuries to carry home

Sure it was a disappointing result, but let's not lose any sleep over this one folks, we will be fine come March when it really matters.

excellent write up again. This year once I get the new front-end up again, lets do these as articles rather than forum posts and really feature them on the site. Sound good to you?

Poor decision # 2

T-Rex who's 6'6" grabs hold of Burrows who's 3'6" and virtually takes him hand over chest. Very unlucky by T-Rex who cops a penalty.
Unfortunately for Tony, when he gets penalised (and this not the first time), goes back into his shell for a while, feeling very upset he's let down his team.

Great post cf2.

Agree with all said,
TRex a bit wide for me.
Choc King Foran and Jamie Good
Glenn,Kite and matai quiet
DCE good in spurts
Snake good with being great
Wolf looked rusty,
Joes hard work missed
Was oldfield out there?
Too late for Bruer

Great to have cf2 back - excellent report as always.

I was thinking the same thing about a few of our forwards looking a little dare I say beefy - but then again Gorgeous George for one is always beefy!

Did Oldfield touch the ball in the entire game? Couldn't have been many times. Perhaps it was just much more a right side game given Matai was pretty quiet too.

All up totally agree with cf2 those 3 decisions were critical - we looked like scoring for 18-16 but 5 mins later it's 26-12 over and out.

Leeds worked hard but they weren't that good!

Nice summary.
For me it was a very scrappy match, with neither side anywhere near 10-metres in defence. We tried hard, and certainly could have won it.
My observations:
Oldfield needs to get more involved. I think he only touched the ball three times.
Lussick needs to curb the illegalities or else he will end up just another JWH. I like his aggression, but it needs to be tempered.
We need more variations on the 5th tackle. It was a kick every time, most of which were poor.
Buhrer needs more game time.
Wolfman's return was promising. Great to see.
We may do it tough in the first few rounds of the NRL, but our overall class will shine through and we'll be a premiership threat again this season.

This game reminded me of the loss in 2011 to Melbourne in the first round. We showed enough to look like a threat come the pointy end then and will do so in 2012. Don't forget the last time we won the WCC we came 9th the following season (Melbourne were docked the entire season's points). I thought Wolfie was very good. Sound under the high ball and ran it back strongly. Oldfield didn't get any real game time, and the game was gone when he came on. Where was Joe? I agree Lussick needs to get the penalties out of his game and Kingy just needs more game time. Hell, remember we haven't played together for three months and this was two weeks into the season for Leeds, and they played well. You can't dismiss the need to play real games in conditioning. Trials just don't do it. What the game really showed in that Klein is below standard in the refs ranks. How come he got the gig?

DSM5 said:
This game reminded me of the loss in 2011 to Melbourne in the first round. We showed enough to look like a threat come the pointy end then and will do so in 2012. Don't forget the last time we won the WCC we came 9th the following season (Melbourne were docked the entire season's points). I thought Wolfie was very good. Sound under the high ball and ran it back strongly. Oldfield didn't get any real game time, and the game was gone when he came on. Where was Joe? I agree Lussick needs to get the penalties out of his game and Kingy just needs more game time. Hell, remember we haven't played together for three months and this was two weeks into the season for Leeds, and they played well. You can't dismiss the need to play real games in conditioning. Trials just don't do it. What the game really showed in that Klein is below standard in the refs ranks. How come he got the gig?

We came 5th in 09 tiger.

How was the leagues club did your many fans turn up to meet you ;)

Nice summary.

A 'good' is no injuries or suspensions.

An even better is this was three trial matches rolled into one. It could prove to be a great preparation for the opening weeks of the NRL.

On those three ref decisions that you clearly spotted. I am amazed how little things can swing momentum and then the scoreline. We didnt do it at the other of the field, though. Anyway,the promoters got their result.

A bad is a couple of errors by snake, a pass let intercepted, and a try dissalowing nudge.

Thats footy.

Agree Weev.

The Brett push was a bit unlucky though - they were both contesting the ball and then Brett sort of instinctively pushed his hands out rather than purposely thinking he wanted to knock the guy over.

The good news is that mistakes from Brett are a rare thing to worry about!

Nice read, someone with a level head actually watching the game and not the scoreline. Too many people are ready to start throwing stones.

I noticed G Stewart looked over weight as well, I even commented on it during the game.
T-rex looked stronger then ever, predicting a big year from him.

First try was a forward pass too.

Just before half time blatant knock on not called on Leeds and ended with that cross kick try.

I think NRL teams in attack are going to target Matai & Oldfield down that side. Everywhere else looked solid.

I wonder if they could switch wolf to matai's Side and have oldfield next to Jamie.

Not a bad idea - Matai great as he is tends to hog the ball A LOT - so perhaps Oldfield will blossom more outside Jamie.

Great write up.

I feel that bascially the first half was our first warm up for 2012. The second half was much better. Foz, T rex and killer all played great footy. gift and dce were a bit quiet, but this there first full game.The ref decisions did cost us, but unfortunently that is all too common in this great game.

It was a great warm up opportunity to play a good side, who have already begun their 2012 campaign, in very unfamiliar conditions and environment. Manly showed some promise, and it gives our boys 2 weeks to oil some of the squeaks. (big squeak being the wings)

I think we will grow as the season goes on.

Look sorry to be harsh but Oldfield to me is not up to this standard, Defensively very ordinary. Ben Farrar to me has the goods for the wing tall good under high ball and good out of dummy half.
Lussick has the goods agressive and mongrel. Foran looked good but our kicking game was shocking but to be fair the ref somehow did not see the blokes leaving early on the 6th to tackle daly:s
We need more variety in attack everyone now is aware foran on the left, daly on the right mix it up. Trex should be used as a decoy to a 2nd man to snake we 4 defenders are attacking him this is something all teams will do this season. Buhrer needs more game time.
This said Burrow, Sinfield and Hall all world class players, Hall could fill the flank for us.

The simple fact of the matter is, if Manly had more than 20 minutes under their belts they would've whacked Leeds by plenty.

I know the boys really wanted to win, but our preparation is geared for round 1 of the premiership. If they really planned to win do you think they would've gone in with such a light prep? It was a good hit out and we've come away with no injuries.

Now bring on the premiership.

Poor decision #4. Before the other 3 poor decisions Peacock gives away another penalty after Klein had warned the Leeds captain that any more rubbish penalties and someone will sit down and he doesn't sin bin anyone. Pissweak performance he lost control or rather still didn't have the balls to carry through and do what he should have.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6