The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly report - rd 24 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
A trip to the nations capital for the first time in 5 years was the chance to seal the lid on our coveted top 4 position. All we needed to do was overcome 17 Canberra players and their Fox Sports support crew.

by CF2

Read More

A trip to the nations capital for the first time in 5 years was the chance to seal the lid on our coveted top 4 position. All we needed to do was overcome 17 Canberra players and their Fox Sports support crew.

by CF2

Player ratings:
Peter Hiku: A late inclusion to cover for the "injured" Brett, played with all the experience of a seasoned first grader on a busy day in both attack and defence. What a super sub.
Jorge Taufau: Says nothing, demolishes opposition tacklers, scores tries. Thank you Jorge.
Steve Matai: Notably missed in the first 10 of the second half while in the bin, but picked up where he left off once back on with another strong performance.
Jamie Lyon: As the seasons go by you kind of shudder quietly when you consider what we'll do once he retires. Never missed a beat all day, and seemed to be hitting the sweet spot on those conversions too with less arc and more Maloney 'arrow' style.
David Williams: Keep eating the raw stuff Wolfie, another fine display.
Kieran Foran: Some deft passes and inches from a late try in a very sound game.
Daly Cherry-Evans: MOM performance, brilliant kicking, had a hand in just about everything. Let's hope these silly rumours go away, he needs to be a Sea Eagle for life.
Glenn Stewart: Strong game in the continual build back to his best.
Justin Horo: Solid performance as always on the left edge.
Anthony Watmough: How does he keep playing with these injuries? Another tough as nails hit out. Can't wait to see him run the tank at the Storm next week.
Brenton Lawrence: Never stopped all day with 16 powerful hits ups and 130 odd metres.
Matt Ballin: The machine always working of course but not needing to bust himself today with just 30 tackles, and a rare well deserved early mark.
George Rose: Not sure I would have started George but he never lets us down when he gets a spell.

Bench:
Jamie Buhrer: Worked hard and right on the spot to collect a perfect Foran ball to score in the first half. The apparent extra bulk seems to be helping too.
Richie Fa-aoso: No frills tough effort.
David Gower: I get the strong feeling Gower has a lot more to offer than the limited opportunities to date have allowed.
James Hasson: Solid in a short stint.

THE GOOD:
The start. Blowing them away for a fast 24-0 lead ensured we could slide back to 2nd gear for the rest of the day. A very smart day at the office given the size of next weeks effort needed.

THE BAD:
1. Some slightly sloppy defence in the 2nd half, but really nothing we didn't have in complete control at all times.
2. Brett White. Seriously what a complete goose claiming a try and pumping his fist like it was dead certain when in fact Hiku had clearly taken the ball off him (and got back into the field of play). That sort of stuff starts to head into the cheating category but fortunately we have technology.

THE UGLY:
The Fox commentary team.

Gasnier kicked it off with his pre match Canberra prediction (I mean seriously would anybody but a true Manly hater have picked Canberra?), then he continued the pain all day with his mind numbing one eyed analysis prompting a mate to text me "Is Gasnier on the Canberra pay roll?".

Then of course the true Manly hater boring Ben Ikin banged on and on about Canberra this and Canberra that all day. The two outstanding highlights being:
1. Taufua puts on a superb fend to score a great try Ikin says "well I feel sorry for Sandor Earl". Huh? Why Ben?
2. Heading for a safely controlled Manly win Ikin further laments "In fairness to the Raiders they have come out and played with a stack of character in this 2nd forty, started well, they tried to stay with the Sea Eagles, but unfortunately the class of this Manly side just shone out". Unfortunately? Huh? No go on Ben tell us Ben why it's so unfortunate.

Seriously Fox Sports that was plain embarrassing, particularly when there's so many WAY better commentators available out there. But I guess it could be worse, at least they get the names right, unlike poor old Morrow and Ryan on ABC radio fumbling the lid of the thermos as they announce the Manly captain Graham Eadie has gone over for his second try.

SUMMARY:
A very smart, measured performance against willing opposition and a genuine rookie superstar in Milford. Todays agenda was three fold: win smart in 2nd gear, no injuries, and leave plenty of fuel for Melbourne next week. Mission accomplished. Who knows if Brett Stewart and Brent Kite were genuinely injured but I'm tipping the word "rested" may have been involved, and if so an even wiser move.

And now to the Battle of Brookvale 2013. Can't wait to see whinging Smith and his band of wrestling, grappling mates in gods country for a Sat night roast. Let's show them we mean business.

Commentators choose a word to use as a 'filler'.

Teenagers use 'like'.
Footballers use many.... 'week in, week out' etc

Gasnier uses "I think" .... something he obviously doesn't do.
Ben Ikin uses "I feel sorry for"

It's just their mouths engage before brain catches up.

That was a danger game for sure with Furner sacked,bullet out etc.Seem to be a few people whinging about defence etc but I thought that was a very good performance by our boys under a fair bit of pressure and a lopsided pinky count.Scoring points without bullet is a great sign.

That was a danger game for sure with Furner sacked,bullet out etc.Seem to be a few people whinging about defence etc but I thought that was a very good performance by our boys under a fair bit of pressure and a lopsided pinky count.Scoring points without bullet is a great sign.

I listened to 2GB, (I dodge ABC)
The "Big Marn" was really talking Manly up, as was Moore & Roach, & saying how poor Canberras effort was given their situation.

wedgetail eagle said:
I listened to 2GB, (I dodge ABC)
The "Big Marn" was really talking Manly up, as was Moore & Roach, & saying how poor Canberras effort was given their situation.

Ben Ikin trying to defend S(h)andor Earl's attempted tackle of Taufua was the most ridiculous piece of commentary I've heard in may a year.

Shoe1 said:
That fend and run by taufua was pure mid 90s hoppa! Wow.

My first ...sorry second thought was of ex bronco Steve Renouf!

He could time the fend perfectly just as the opposing player took the last step in and was slightly off balance....bang! Then he'd take off.

What about Matty's bullet pass for Choc's try - now that was GOOD :angel:

I like the fact that Manly is rarely credited with the win - keeps us plodding along to the top without the added scrutiny :cool:

Ikin is a log, how he gets to co-host a show on Fox is beyond me
we played in second gear once we got to a solid lead and cf2 is right - keeping petrol in the tank to whack storm next Saturday
bring that one on
hope someone, like Tafua, runs over Slater like T Rex did (about the only good thing he did in all matches btw)

Still think we got robbed for a 30-0 lead when Hiku went over & the Raiders defender picked the wrong Manly player & then fell over. Cummins then penalised Manly without a replay. Then the pinksters spent the next 60 minutes giving Raiders a hand.

They certainly did their best to keep the score blowing out - we were up 3 to 2 from memory then got whacked 7 to 1......

DSM5 said:
Wolfie ran in again, dammit. Why doesn't he have more faith in Jamie

But the agony, Wolfie was shattered and collapsed, lamenting another lapse in defending his outside opponent.:(

However, he is making huge runs and his value still outweighs his lapses. And what about his ball and all try saver in the 27th minute:angel:

I'm sure that he is working overtime on getting back to his defensive reads at the beginning of this year:angel:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4