The face you make…

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Royal Soup

First Grader
The face you make when you’ve just been smashed!

This is what’s wrong with this club

Attachments

• IMG_6806.jpeg
    IMG_6806.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 54
Yep, I agree x 100. I know these blokes are all "elite professional athletes" and I would barely qualify as an amateur walker, but if I had just had my nose rubbed in it publicly, on something I am supposedly an elite professional at, and made to look like a fool.....well I wouldn't respond by practically hugging and kissing the guy who just made me into a dope.

I can't understand the mindset, not just as a fan but as a person. Boys, you just got smashed and exposed for losers and incompetent fools - does that not matter to you?

Yep, I agree x 100. I know these blokes are all "elite professional athletes" and I would barely qualify as an amateur walker, but if I had just had my nose rubbed in it publicly, on something I am supposedly an elite professional at, and made to look like a fool.....well I wouldn't respond by practically hugging and kissing the guy who just made me into a dope.

I can't understand the mindset, not just as a fan but as a person. Boys, you just got smashed and exposed for losers and incompetent fools - does that not matter to you?
The basic difference is that these guys are there to do a job. They’re not passionate about Manly - not like we are. That’s what it comes down to. Doesn’t mean they don’t try, but they’re not gunna die for the jersey. The turbos would. Parker would. Maybe DCE. That’s why in a previous thread I said these guys are ‘Manly people’. They’re rare. But we need them. Great clubmen.

For most, it’s just a job.

The local boys , born and bred with maroon & white in their blood would feel differently.

The rest , yeah nah.

What do we want from these players? At junior level some of you jelly bellies will remember “three cheers” why? Because it is a game, and you acknowledge the winner with grace and don’t carry on like a spoilt brat

I remember the emotional fallout from losing a soccer GF many years ago - I was broken.

I remember the emotional fallout from missing a place in a JP Morgan Corp challenge final place by 3 seconds - I was broken

Both of those were pinnacles of my sporting career and I just lost. But I didn’t blubber in the lead up to it. Yes there were losses on the way but I focused on the future and didn’t get snotty at the people that were better me on the day. If I exerted the amount of emotional energy (or bad sportsmanship possibly) that many of you expect of these guys, they will never win a match as they will always be mentally and emotionally exhausted.

Last edited:
What do we want from these players? At junior level some of you jelly bellies will remember “three cheers” why? Because it is a game, and you acknowledge the winner with grace and don’t carry on like a spoilt brat

I remember the emotional fallout from losing a soccer GF many years ago - I was broken.

I remember the emotional fallout from missing a place in a JP Morgan Corp challenge final place by 3 seconds - I was broken

Both of those were pinnacles of my sporting career and I just lost. But I didn’t blubber in the lead up to it. Yes there were losses on the way but I focused on the future and didn’t get snotty at the people that were better me on the day. If I exerted the amount of emotional energy (or bad sportsmanship possibly) that many of you expect of these guys, they will never win a match as they will always be mentally and emotionally exhausted.

I was a schoolboy rep player in the St Gregs comp in the MacArthur region. I don't know what teams you played for, but the pressure, emotion and intensity of the footy in my area even at that level meant that if we lost (or worse got flogged), I had to try my best to stop crying to be honest - there was no hoorah for the opposition. Jesus, we'd hardly even talk to each other on the team bus, back to school.

I get professionalism means you have to move on from the losses, reset, and look forward - but this is ridiculous.

These plugs are 6 wins in their last 21 games. If you look at the best teams, they don't laugh up a storm after a huge loss.

BUT, different people have different expectations, perspectives and opinions. I prefer a committed team, all pulling in the same direction. That Tuipulotu should realise if there are enough performances out of him like that (and he was abysmal as usual), The Eels players are and were playing him out of his career and contract.

I sure as **** wouldn't be laughing or celebrating that, given his situation. He's obviously not feeling the accountability after a flop performance.

Last edited:
Yep - also saw Haumole laughing his head off talking to Davey. I get that some of these guys are friends or ex-teammates.

But not a good look after getting smashed
Im prepared to cut Haumole some slack, especially with Davey being an ex Manly boy. I read Mole say there used to be banter as to who would score more tries in a game for Manly. I think its more a case of one saying fair play to another. Im sure he wouldnt be happy about the loss, but its more a case of a light hearted moment between ex teammates.

I was a schoolboy rep player in the St Gregs comp in the MacArthur region. I don't know what teams you played for, but the pressure, emotion and intensity of the footy in my area even at that level meant that if we lost (or worse got flogged), I had to try my best to stop crying to be honest - there was no hoorah for the opposition. Jesus, we'd hardly even talk to each other on the team bus, back to school.

I get professionalism means you have to move on from the losses, reset, and look forward - but this is ridiculous.

These plugs are 6 wins in their last 21 games. If you look at the best teams, they don't laugh up a storm after a huge loss.

BUT, different people have different expectations, perspectives and opinions. I prefer a committed team, all pulling in the same direction. That Tuipulotu should realise if there are enough performances out of him like that (and he was abysmal as usual), The Eels players are and were playing him out of his career and contract.

I would sure as **** wouldn't be laughing or celebrating that, given his situation. He's obviously not feeling the accountability after a flop performance.
You know why. Because the spectre of acceptable mediocrity is rife throughout the playing group. No fierce performance expectation. No accountability to perform or you're out. Do think Bellamy or Bennett would accept the sht these guys serve up consistently.

I would sure as **** wouldn't be laughing or celebrating that, given his situation. He's obviously not feeling the accountability after a flop performance.
People deal with adversity in different ways. You shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Speaking for myself I'll often greet difficulty with a smile, especially if the whole world is watching. Doesn't mean I don't care. It can be a coping mechanism because I care too much and don't dare let it bubble to the surface in the moment.

You know why. Because the spectre of acceptable mediocrity is rife throughout the playing group. No fierce performance expectation. No accountability to perform or you're out. Do think Bellamy or Bennett would accept the sht these guys serve up consistently.
Siebold is right, our best is too far distant from our worst. That's about attitude, effort, intensity, application and execution.

That comes down to the coaching staff (some of which don't even have their mind on our team), and the players (and frankly, a large portion of ours just don't give a ****).

I'd never have thought we could have regressed from last season. But dear god there are some ugly signs.

We need a massive flush out of honestly what I'd call the crap - and we have an abundance of that.

Im prepared to cut Haumole some slack, especially with Davey being an ex Manly boy. I read Mole say there used to be banter as to who would score more tries in a game for Manly. I think its more a case of one saying fair play to another. Im sure he wouldnt be happy about the loss, but its more a case of a light hearted moment between ex teammates.
Yep i get all that...just saying it's not a good look for passionate Manly fans to see this after we have been pumped by 30.

I sure as **** wouldn't be laughing or celebrating that, given his situation. He's obviously not feeling the accountability after a flop performance.
I sort of knew you would enter this conversation - I think we are 2 sides of the same coin. I would never debate or put down your experiences, I just state I found that type of expected approach to losing crippling (personally).

Just because they weren't cutting themselves, ripping their garments apart and beating their breasts, doesn't mean they were not feeling "accountable" - that is a little disingenuous

Your little lure of "different people have different expectations" again disingenuous. As you then aligned your view of "commitment" to your expectations, and as such put down anyone that didn't align to your view

Please make clear what someone should do after a "flop" performance per your standards - immediately the whistle is blown.

I sort of knew you would enter this conversation - I think we are 2 sides of the same coin. I would never debate or put down your experiences, I just state I found that type of expected approach to losing crippling (personally).

Just because they weren't cutting themselves, ripping their garments apart and beating their breasts, doesn't mean they were not feeling "accountable" - that is a little disingenuous

Your little lure of "different people have different expectations" again disingenuous. As you then aligned your view of "commitment" to your expectations, and as such put down anyone that didn't align to your view

Please make clear what someone should do after a "flop" performance per your standards - immediately the whistle is blown.

Like anything, assess their own (and to a lesser degree their team's) performance, and act accordingly.

Forget the EQ needed in and around the fans, members, sponsors and other stakeholders perceptions for a sec. Maybe the types of people these are, they aren't equipped to consider these things?

How about some personal accountability? Think about it from any job / industry mate. Let's take sales. Say a salesperson fails consistently to make their targets (and their employment relies upon result). You think they'd be laughing up a storm after being delivered a absolute failure of a result over and over?

In regards to the comments you think I'm making as being antagonistic. Maybe I'm just a little frustrated with what people are willing to accept for us right now (so you're right), but I didn't mean to specifically aim that frustration at you. It's been forever since we've been competitive. Forget the 6 wins in 22 games from Jersey gate. This year alone we are a sub .500 team. AGAIN. It's just so frustrating.

So when you hear people defending it, it just gets to a fan, ya know? When you see a player laughing his guts up immediately after a loss, it hurts. That's all.

If I have a failure at work , thankfully they're very rare , it affects me terribly. I feel like I've let myself , my company, my colleagues and a client down. I don't go off laughing it up with work colleagues and shrug it off like it's nothing. I know it's not the same thing and these players are a different generation to me but it just irks me. Go and laugh it up off the field where we don't have to see it. Just show some fuking humility. There's more than just themselves at stake with this club.

Siebold is right, our best is too far distant from our worst. That's about attitude, effort, intensity, application and execution.

That comes down to the coaching staff (some of which don't even have their mind on our team), and the players (and frankly, a large portion of ours just don't give a ****).

I'd never have thought we could have regressed from last season. But dear god there are some ugly signs.

We need a massive flush out of honestly what I'd call the crap - and we have an abundance of that.

The strange thing is, this season, there are only probably 4 clubs I would say had any sort of consistency in performance levels, they would be Penrith, Broncos, Souths and the Warriors

Outside of those, even including the Storm, the levels from 1 week to the next can be a mile apart. We have even seen Bellamy sitting there lost for words trying to sum up their efforts. Sharks probably the top example of the lot in roller coaster performances, Roosters have taken some big hidings too

Over the space of a few weeks recently we had

Sharks 44 Cowboys 6
Cowboys 45 Storm 20
Storm 54 Sharks 10

The sides that can crack the code over the next month or 2 will make some headway into this competition

Last edited:

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8