The EPL 2014 / 15

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Manu and juve...we are going to have issues....I am a fairly massive Milan fan

lsz said:
Hammers since i got into football in the late 80's

I really loved the players that have gone on elsewhere

Rio F
Frank Lampard
Carrick
Defoe
Joe Cole
Kanoute

Good lord we could have a decent side if we kept them together

Truth be told I am more of an Italian football fan but watch the EPL as I am a football addict

I guess I'm a bit the opposite, having only a passing interest in La Liga.

As for West Ham mate, you're 100%. All quality players each and every one you named.

Sadly the richer clubs still hold the upper-hand in the EPL, but as I said: at least they ARE in the Premier League.

I also like that there's the Title-race, FA Cup and League-Cup for clubs to have a crack at (plus UEFA if qualified). Hard on the players (so much football) but it does give all clubs some chance at silverware.

lsz said:
Manu and juve...we are going to have issues....I am a fairly massive Milan fan

Not really Isz - well for 90 minutes you might think so, but it's sport and its a game.
Everyone has different tastes and teams.
I also go for Ajax in Dutch League, Anderlecht in Belgium, PSG in French, Real Madrid in Spanish, Bayern in German.
BUT when they play Man Utd - it is my Red Devils for me ALWAYS.
I was/am a footy tragic and when I was coaching soccer, it was worse becauae I would draw on those matches and use them as a template for kids to learn and study players, drills, techniques and set moves.

Cheers and best get going for The Big One tonight in NRL.

Got to watch Man U's win over QPR in full last night (laid-up in my lazyboy still crook and space-cadeting a tad from the medications).

It was a much-improved display (don't forget there's many new-faces in the squad) on top of LVG just starting his reign. Meaning it WILL take time to completely gel and adjust etc.

Was pleasing, the 4-1 victory.

And from what I saw (through medicated fog!) I liked the look of Di Maria and Falcao. The expensive Herrera is still to stand up, or get out from under-the-radar, so to speak, for me.

RiverEagle said:
Got to watch Man U's win over QPR in full last night (laid-up in my lazyboy still crook and space-cadeting a tad from the medications).

It was a much-improved display (don't forget there's many new-faces in the squad) on top of LVG just starting his reign. Meaning it WILL take time to completely gel and adjust etc.

And from what I saw (through medicated fog!) I liked the look of Di Maria and Falcao. The expensive Herrera is still to stand up, or get out from under-the-radar, so to speak, for me.

Good evening River and I hope u r improving "Old Son".

You must have been counting the pills u r on Bro as a goal for QPR. Man Utd kept them scoreless with a 4-0 victory. Falcao has a dynamite left foot and I can see him getting more as time goes on. I dont have pay TV/Foxtel but some highlights I snatched onto showed some nice teamwork going on there.
We travel this week to play Leicester. Aston Villa doing Liverpool at Anfield was the surprise pick this week. Try and get better mate.....we need you on the bench this week against The Dogs - c ya
Woof!

Big Pete C Eagle said:
RiverEagle said:

You must have been counting the pills u r on Bro as a goal for QPR. Man Utd kept them scoreless with a 4-0 victory. Falcao has a dynamite left foot and I can see him getting more as time goes on. I dont have pay TV/Foxtel but some highlights I snatched onto showed some nice teamwork going on there.
We travel this week to play Leicester. Aston Villa doing Liverpool at Anfield was the surprise pick this week. Try and get better mate.....we need you on the bench this week against The Dogs - c ya
Woof!

LOL old mate! I must've "gifted" QPR a goal in that medicated-friendly-headspace! Di Maria's goal was pretty sleek work too and it just seemed the team were more relaxed, yet focused. Which IS the balance we need.

There's talk on Facebook and elsewhere LVG isn't done (after off-loading Cleverley and going shopping deluxe). I'd prefer he allow this group to stabilize; certainly tinker with line-ups and formations. just not overcomplicate the club and players by too many rejigs and personnel changes.

After all, one of the "selling points" on LVG's behalf was that he was understated and one of the less complicated coaches/managers at the elite-level. (Perhaps the pressure and expectation at Man U is even ruffling Louis' feathers?)

As for me (I rattle when I walk from all the pills,lol) but they keep reassuring me I'm coming good. It's just my body that isn't listening!

(Thanks for asking though Pete).

RiverEagle said:
Big Pete C Eagle said:
RiverEagle said:

Woof!

LOL old mate! I must've "gifted" QPR a goal in that medicated-friendly-headspace! Di Maria's goal was pretty sleek work too and it just seemed the team were more relaxed, yet focused. Which IS the balance we need.

There's talk on Facebook and elsewhere LVG isn't done (after off-loading Cleverley and going shopping deluxe). I'd prefer he allow this group to stabilize; certainly tinker with line-ups and formations. just not overcomplicate the club and players by too many rejigs and personnel changes.

After all, one of the "selling points" on LVG's behalf was that he was understated and one of the less complicated coaches/managers at the elite-level. (Perhaps the pressure and expectation at Man U is even ruffling Louis' feathers?)

As for me (I rattle when I walk from all the pills,lol) but they keep reassuring me I'm coming good. It's just my body that isn't listening!

Hang in there mate like LVG.
The big issue is making sure we have players to replace injuries.
Too often our defence was snuffed out/stuffed because fill-ins werent the preferred choice. Opposition used to run havoc through our midfield because there was no cover or balance. They all came back or they all went up and left a gaping hole to penetrate smack in the middle of where the game and strikers should be contained.

If LVG finds he has a surplus he can trade them if they get itchy feet and sick of benchwarming.
They should be fit and not get injured but injuries cant be avoided.
It is the lacklustred effort that can cause injuries. Rio knew that and he was slowing up.
Danny Welbeck went (to Arsenal) but Arsene Wenger wanted him on loan from Man Utd but instead they sold him for $16million.

Keep well River or get some of that Murrumbidgee fluid into ya!

Big Pete C Eagle said:
RiverEagle said:
Big Pete C Eagle said:
RiverEagle said:

Woof!

Too often our defence was snuffed out/stuffed because fill-ins werent the preferred choice. Opposition used to run havoc through our midfield because there was no cover or balance. They all came back or they all went up and left a gaping hole to penetrate smack in the middle of where the game and strikers should be contained.

If LVG finds he has a surplus he can trade them if they get itchy feet and sick of benchwarming.
It is the lacklustred effort that can cause injuries. Rio knew that and he was slowing up.
Danny Welbeck went (to Arsenal) but Arsene Wenger wanted him on loan from Man Utd but instead they sold him for $16million.

Personally I'll be doing both my options there I'd say (just at the same time I'd say!)

As for Man U, you make a very good point about "depth" (and the need for it). My concern there is the more players purchased the less confidence the established or current players feel (If the guvna' doesn't think I'm good or robust enough to get the job done, maybe I'm not...) Then you get the uncertainty of tenure and faith in the place, and each other grows more with each turn.

We've had a good win. If we can string a month to 6 weeks of good football (and a few more wins) together, you get back that stability and belief in each other heading in the right direction again.

RiverEagle said:
Big Pete C Eagle said:
RiverEagle said:
Big Pete C Eagle said:
RiverEagle said:

Woof!

Personally I'll be doing both my options there I'd say (just at the same time I'd say!)

As for Man U, you make a very good point about "depth" (and the need for it). My concern there is the more players purchased the less confidence the established or current players feel (If the guvna' doesn't think I'm good or robust enough to get the job done, maybe I'm not...) Then you get the uncertainty of tenure and faith in the place, and each other grows more with each turn.

We've had a good win. If we can string a month to 6 weeks of good football (and a few more wins) together, you get back that stability and belief in each other heading in the right direction again.

Correct River - stability and team progression/cohesion.

I got to ask one BIG favour Bro.
U and I and any other "Red Devil" must not use Man U or Manu as a quick/short acronym of our beloved Manchester United. Man Utd is ok!
I read a UK "footy nuts" view on it and that it was incorrect to use what I mentioned.
I guess we here in Oz/Aust = Australia can see that Manu shouldn't be used as that is the name of a French Chef........ha ha ha you chuckle.
End of that play for a day but I know you'll see the correctness in it.

March on Red Devils.

Funny that you refer to that @"Big Pete C Eagle"

I am aware of that view (Man Utd is preferred) and usually do use exactly that.

Through a combo of "laziness" and our overall more relaxed attitude about it in OZ (or some of us Aussies I should clarify) I began just using "Man U" and have done here and elsewhere for awhile now.

However, since you seem a good bloke, you asked politely, AND enquired about my health...for you Pete...Too easy!

Back to "Man Utd" it is then.

RiverEagle said:
Funny that you refer to that @"Big Pete C Eagle"

I am aware of that view (Man Utd is preferred) and usually do use exactly that.

Through a combo of "laziness" and our overall more relaxed attitude about it in OZ (or some of us Aussies I should clarify) I began just using "Man U" and have done here and elsewhere for awhile now.

However, since you seem a good bloke, you asked politely, AND enquired about my health...for you Pete...Too easy!

Back to "Man Utd" it is then.

No argumentive issues amongst us Bro.
Just a little something I clicked onto.
Never forget either that Australia had a couple of good players here that played in their time with Man Utd.
Of course straight off you will say Mark Bosnich - correct.

BTW - I am a good bloke, just like you because we follow The Mighty Red Devils.

Gear up for Bathurst 1000 in a few weeks.
What manufacturer do you follow there?
Is it the Red Lion, Blue Oval or the newcomers?

U keep well Cobber and get that Bidgee water into ya.

No worries at all @"Big Pete C Eagle"

I just meant it doesn't bother me, so happy to resume "Man Utd" mate.

Apart from the obvious (Bosnich) what other Aussies have played for 'em?

I know you're a good bloke (wasn't stirring, just honest with you). But as for motorsports mate, I'm not a believer! *My step-father was, as were mates, growing up. So I took an indirect interest, esp with Bathurst. I was simply-put, more of a Holden than a Ford-man (but that passion never took hold).

For personal reasons I'm less patient than your average person. So motorsports get old pretty quick with me mate (trying to watch I mean).

I'm even worse with Golf, lol!

(I've started a stronger antibiotic today. Still not right. Hopefully real soon, but No Bidgee brews of any kind for me still mate).

EDIT: And a big Congratz @Mals

Saw the 2nd-half of Chelsea v Swansea (4-2 to Chelsea).

I do hope U got to watch and enjoy this, in the end.

RiverEagle said:

I know you're a good bloke (wasn't stirring, just honest with you). But as for motorsports mate, I'm not a believer! *My step-father was, as were mates, growing up. So I took an indirect interest, esp with Bathurst. I was simply-put, more of a Holden than a Ford-man (but that passion never took hold).

For personal reasons I'm less patient than your average person. So motorsports get old pretty quick with me mate (trying to watch I mean).

(I've started a stronger antibiotic today. Still not right. Hopefully real soon, but No Bidgee brews of any kind for me still mate).

Haha thanks mate. The Swansea contingent were quite loud in the 1st half & I have to say played the better football. However, 2nd half Chelsea flicked the switch & bang the goals flowed so my Dad & I were happy campers at full time.

My fav Chelsea players were Pat Nevin, Dennis Wise & Zola. Of the current crop I like Ivanovic the most. My Dad played a few trial games at Chelsea with Peter Osgood back in 1964, he was a fantastic talent so I'm told.

RiverEagle said:

Afternoon River - early today as I am going to an anniversary "gathering" this evening.

Ray Baartz and Stan Ackerley. U might recall Ray Baartz from our '74 World Cup team that Rale Rasic was coach of. Ray played with Newcastle United in NSW Nthn League but also when they joined NSL or previous Philips National Soccer League. He had a Sports Store in Newcastle as well.

Stan I remembered from my early teens and played many years with Apia in their days. He was born in Manchester area and came to Australia.
Australia produced many fine players and those who came from other countries as migrants to this nation. They developed the game along with their fine cultures and eateries. They just blended into our daily habits so easily and went to it and set up businesses etc. and got off their butts and made a go of it.

I had the pleasure of meeting several of our grand days players from when I was secretary of Bathurst District Soccer Assoc for the 3 years I was at the helm.

No probs with motorsports following. I grew up with it here and the City is a hive and buzz with our week long festival of it. Hope the weather is nice and fine and sunny, if you happen to get my drift. I'm sure you will/do.

Dont overdo that medication either. I used to get into the health store or herbal stuff to try rid any virals I got. Antibiotics you can have so much of and I think you become immune to it. Look after yourself Cobber and I hope we get the team to stick it to those Dogs as well.

Big Pete C Eagle said:
RiverEagle said:

Afternoon River - early today as I am going to an anniversary "gathering" this evening.

Ray Baartz and Stan Ackerley. U might recall Ray Baartz from our '74 World Cup team that Rale Rasic was coach of. Ray played with Newcastle United in NSW Nthn League but also when they joined NSL or previous Philips National Soccer League. He had a Sports Store in Newcastle as well.

Stan I remembered from my early teens and played many years with Apia in their days. He was born in Manchester area and came to Australia.
Australia produced many fine players and those who came from other countries as migrants to this nation. They developed the game along with their fine cultures and eateries. They just blended into our daily habits so easily and went to it and set up businesses etc. and got off their butts and made a go of it.

I had the pleasure of meeting several of our grand days players from when I was secretary of Bathurst District Soccer Assoc for the 3 years I was at the helm.

No probs with motorsports following. I grew up with it here and the City is a hive and buzz with our week long festival of it. Hope the weather is nice and fine and sunny, if you happen to get my drift. I'm sure you will/do.

Dont overdo that medication either. I used to get into the health store or herbal stuff to try rid any virals I got. Antibiotics you can have so much of and I think you become immune to it. Look after yourself Cobber and I hope we get the team to stick it to those Dogs as well.

Evening Pete. No sorry, those names escape me (was only born in '67) and whilst I was noticing Manly well-and-truly by 7 yrs-of-age, soccer/football took a bit longer for me. Even Man Utd didn't really "win me over" until the early 80's mate.

I'd love to GO to a Bathurst/Mt. Panorama one day (as much for the social and atmosphere side of it too). Have you ever camped there overnight (or do they still even do that up there now??) I guess actually living in Bathurst you could simply go home to your "own bed" anyway!

Agree on medications. I only take 'em when absolutely have to (and even reluctantly then!) With this sinus-thing being SO severe if left untreated it can get in the blood and travel to the heart or brain mate. (So I'm erring on the side of caution here, lol!)

Hope you're enjoying/enjoyed your function tonight, and catch u next time.

*And @Mals

Glad you and the old man enjoyed the win. Swansea WERE very vocal, as are almost all EPL fans. As long as it's all in good fun (passionate, no worries!) and the "hooligan" element stay away or are kept to a minimum, even better.

I have to say, despite Man Utd's struggles of late, I'm already enjoying the EPL being back (as a nice alternative and contrast to my Rugby League and AFL viewing).

I have both very strong Scottish and Irish-Australian heritage (no wonder I swing from one extreme to the other hey?!) and would dearly love to go there someday before my days are done. Preferably Scotland 1st; Ireland a close 2nd; and England to boot whilst there!

Have you been there yourself @Mals (and at you too @"Big Pete C Eagle") ??

Cheers. IF Manly go this weekend ( we'd better go down swinging!), and at least we'll have the EPL to console and distract us (and the Swans for me, too).

RiverEagle said:
Big Pete C Eagle said:
RiverEagle said:

Evening Pete. No sorry, those names escape me (was only born in '67) and whilst I was noticing Manly well-and-truly by 7 yrs-of-age, soccer/football took a bit longer for me. Even Man Utd didn't really "win me over" until the early 80's mate.

I'd love to GO to a Bathurst/Mt. Panorama one day (as much for the social and atmosphere side of it too). Have you ever camped there overnight (or do they still even do that up there now??) I guess actually living in Bathurst you could simply go home to your "own bed" anyway!

Agree on medications. I only take 'em when absolutely have to (and even reluctantly then!) With this sinus-thing being SO severe if left untreated it can get in the blood and travel to the heart or brain mate. (So I'm erring on the side of caution here, lol!)

Hope you're enjoying/enjoyed your function tonight, and catch u next time.

*And @Mals

Glad you and the old man enjoyed the win. Swansea WERE very vocal, as are almost all EPL fans. As long as it's all in good fun (passionate, no worries!) and the "hooligan" element stay away or are kept to a minimum, even better.

I have to say, despite Man Utd's struggles of late, I'm already enjoying the EPL being back (as a nice alternative and contrast to my Rugby League and AFL viewing).

I have both very strong Scottish and Irish-Australian heritage (no wonder I swing from one extreme to the other hey?!) and would dearly love to go there someday before my days are done. Preferably Scotland 1st; Ireland a close 2nd; and England to boot whilst there!

Have you been there yourself @Mals (and at you too @"Big Pete C Eagle") ??

Cheers. IF Manly go this weekend ( we'd better go down swinging!), and at least we'll have the EPL to console and distract us (and the Swans for me, too).

Yes River, they camp at Mt Panorama and on occasions are rather rowdy.
I have never camped there mate......slept in a catering van one night (Bathurst PBC now PCYC) using boxed cans drinks as pillows. That was the night the molotov cocktail was let loose at the NSW Police Compound and put out the electricity to practically all of the top of Mt Pan. The Year of The Bikies, but many are great blokes to do business with. The only trouble they find is when trouble looks for them.

Correct River, go home to bed but plenty of street parties and music going on.
Pubs cater well also if you like an ale or ginger beer for "kid stuff".
Been there at Mt for former Easter and October Races as I worked there quite often but havent been there since our daughter has been with us - close to 20 years.

The function tonight was rather nice. It was to celebrate the 45th birthday of Reliance Credit Union (Maritime, Mining and Power - MMPCU) being in Bathurst.
They look after you I can assure you. I am presently Treasurer to two local organsisations that bank with them and find them very good and free of fees - in many situations.

River - some of what we presently go on about - speak, is more personal and we probably should try to communicate it otherwise.
However, get your ginger, lemon and garlic into you. Try teas (Green teas) with it grated and slowly sip it. Some chemists sell ginger jubes/lollies/chews that you can chew on and I have found them good for sniffles and slight runny nose.

Catch ya on the return leg.

Yes you make a good point @"Big Pete C Eagle"

It can be so easy to drift "off-topic".
The Mods I've found to be really good overall about it (unless the digressions are an "argument" or deteriorate into "personal conflicts" etc.)

They generally tolerate a bit of banter and/or roundabout topic-talk (but naturally sticking as closely to a topic as possible is preferable.)

As said, I'd have no problem discussing things in Private ( PM's) if the need escalates!

Thanks for the extra insights into Mt. Panorama, and Bathurst in general ; and of course, the health and healing tips that I'll look into (along with Fit for Life, recommended by @mozgrame )

At least whilst laid up we can focus on things like Manly and the EPL. *Hopefully wins by Manly and Man Utd soon too will cover the frustrations in my world at present.

Been to the UK & Ireland do you mean @RiverEagle?

Yep 5 times mate. My Dad is Welsh so I've gone over to see my extended family quite a bit. Only been to one EPL game though cause I usually go in their summer. Saw Chelsea play a 0 - 0 draw against Aston Villa up in Birmingham back in 2010.

RiverEagle said:
Yes you make a good point @"Big Pete C Eagle"

It can be so easy to drift "off-topic".
The Mods I've found to be really good overall about it (unless the digressions are an "argument" or deteriorate into "personal conflicts" etc.)

They generally tolerate a bit of banter and/or roundabout topic-talk (but naturally sticking as closely to a topic as possible is preferable.)

As said, I'd have no problem discussing things in Private ( PM's) if the need escalates!

Thanks for the extra insights into Mt. Panorama, and Bathurst in general ; and of course, the health and healing tips that I'll look into (along with Fit for Life, recommended by @mozgrame )

At least whilst laid up we can focus on things like Manly and the EPL. *Hopefully wins by Manly and Man Utd soon too will cover the frustrations in my world at present.

Have you managed to track down a copy of fit for life yet River?

Mals said:
Been to the UK & Ireland do you mean @RiverEagle?

Yep 5 times mate. My Dad is Welsh so I've gone over to see my extended family quite a bit. Only been to one EPL game though cause I usually go in their summer. Saw Chelsea play a 0 - 0 draw against Aston Villa up in Birmingham back in 2010.

Yes mate, that's what I was asking. With my heritage I want to get over there at least once.

Typical of life sometimes hey mate...The only game U get to see thus far is a scoreless draw! (Was that experience still a good one @Mals and are you planning any further trips that way?)

And @mozgrame

Not found the book yet (I bloody will though mate)!

I've read reviews and got more interested. I've literally just been so crook this past 10 days or more now, just getting the basics done brother is enough.

I will get it; along with a book recommended by @KOMORI (Frankie Boyle's autobiography). Strictly for light relief and sh^t and giggles though, that one.

With the footy season nearing it's end, I'm keen to get back into reading more (I used to). *But thanks for asking, AND recommending it to me to begin with.

EDIT: Do you follow the EPL @mozgrame (and any particular club??)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4