The enemy within

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
Watching the events that have unfolded over the last month or so has reminded me that for all the ravaging we are coping through our enemies in the media, the constant looking internally is just as damaging.

The distinct failure of leadership that our club has experienced over the last 4 years is finally biting us where it hurts. The dysfunction that has been allowed to fester, where we have had a revolving door of CEO's officials, coaches and a record player turn over, tells you that it's not been a happy place.

All I want as a fan and member is to see the team focus on its shortcomings, work hard on the training paddock and improve their performances which will lead to better days.

To achieve this we must have a commitment from everyone!!! The speculation about the coach and whether he is staying or not needs to immediately be put to bed one way or another. Egos need to be left at the door and that the players we have on our decimated roster, come together and have a go. Last weeks performance showed them doing that but a distinct lack of confidence and quality let us down at the vital stage.

Right now our enemies in the media are having an absolute field day and are spreading innuendo and gossip in an effort to further erode our current situation, I do not see Greenturd or his NRL cronies calling off the dogs at any time soon and that is something we are not able to control!

What we can control is getting the best out of our current squad, stop feeding the media trolls and come together and focus on the task at hand. We are on our knees right now and we need all hands on deck!!

Last edited:
Some people may not like this, and I know that without their money we might not even have a club to support right now.......but.

The biggest problem we have right now IMO is the Penn's. Yes, I know we've had management issues for years and we had things like Des and his back ended contracts which while on one side worked because we had some fvcking great teams, it was a financial disaster that left the club in a hole that we are still struggling to get out of. But ever since the Penn's became part owners of the club, then the majority owners after buying out the Quantum side....this club had gone from bad to worse. With them in charge we have lurched from one off field drama to another and they keep getting worse and worse.

I've said it before and will say it again. If someone like Hugh Jackman came in and did similar here to Crowe buying Souffs.....I would not be at all sorry to see the back of the Penn's. This club has gone to hell in a hand basket since they became involved.

Some people may not like this, and I know that without their money we might not even have a club to support right now.......but.

The biggest problem we have right now IMO is the Penn's. Yes, I know we've had management issues for years and we had things like Des and his back ended contracts which while on one side worked because we had some fvcking great teams, it was a financial disaster that left the club in a hole that we are still struggling to get out of. But ever since the Penn's became part owners of the club, then the majority owners after buying out the Quantum side....this club had gone from bad to worse. With them in charge we have lurched from one off field drama to another and they keep getting worse and worse.

I've said it before and will say it again. If someone like Hugh Jackman came in and did similar here to Crowe buying Souffs.....I would not be at all sorry to see the back of the Penn's. This club has gone to hell in a hand basket since they became involved.

This may surprise you V8... but I agree about the Penns .... I don't get in on the lynch mob because of an apparent lack of alternate rich benefactors ....

But as Harry S. Truman said ..... the buck stops here ...... I thought after the petty power plays on the board were won, things would improve ..... still waiting ... hopeful ... but still ****ing waiting ....
As Truman

A single ownership model could work and work very well.....with the right owner.

I don't believe that the Penn's are the right owners. At least, not the ones we need to get this club back to where it belongs.

The MO of the current admin has always been to leak info to the media that suits their agenda. Our laundry is the least secure of any NRL team. In fact we give guided tours of the airing room to the select media mouthpieces. Look at how Tooves was white anted in the media - downright shameful. The tit for tat media sledging between Footy Club and MWSE is another example that went on for years. We are repeating that now with the Hastings situation - the whole episode should have been kept in house and dealt with internally, instead we have had 2 weeks of media hysteria and conflicting messages and a coach that looks like he has been left swinging in the breeze.

Is it any wonder we struggle to hang onto CEO's ??

I believe the enemies are within not only the media.
By now they should have an idea who is leaking rumours, I mean it's not like Barrett would have announced to everyone he was having a meeting with an advisor surely he would have confided to a select few....

Maybe it's the old management that needs a clean out?

As for Penn I appreciate the financial support, I think he wants Manly to become a success, I am sure he wouldn't want the reputation of being the one who destroyed Manly.

We really need to drop this "No one likes us we don't care attitude".

No one likes us and we should ****ing care because if we keep going the way we are going we wont be here any more.

When you have a coach who whinges to a (friend) , who he also knows is a media personality, then you have a leak, stop the leaks and the boat stops sinking..
Here's one to throw out there. How do we know its not wayne beavis that leaked it to Gus. Other than Gus's word that it was convo with Baz. Baz had a meeting with his advisor/manager Beavis. Beavis is good mates with Gus. Wouldn't be like a disgraced player manager to act unethically would it........

When the board was disfunctional, the team wasn’t affected. But now due to lack of direction from CEO down we are stuffed for 2018. Just hope good old Zorba is happy with what he’s done here. Unless there’s a spare box of culture up in the attic it’s hard to see it improving in 2019.

Here's one to throw out there. How do we know its not wayne beavis that leaked it to Gus. Other than Gus's word that it was convo with Baz. Baz had a meeting with his advisor/manager Beavis. Beavis is good mates with Gus. Wouldn't be like a disgraced player manager to act unethically would it........
It doesn't really matter. If he has legitimate concerns take it up with Gorman. It seems apparent that TB has been whingeing to either of the two that he's not getting enough support, he's been thrown under the bus, the place is not professional, they are understaffed, he'll walk if there's no changes etc and this has played out / leaked into the media before the outcome of the meeting between TB and Gorman was made public. I'm not suggesting that the club management doesn't have issues or have a case to answer for, but prostituting yourself to the media isn't exactly a classy look.

A single ownership model could work and work very well.....with the right owner.

I don't believe that the Penn's are the right owners. At least, not the ones we need to get this club back to where it belongs.
I once wrote a 10,000 word essay on private ownership in Australian sport, in large part because of my love of MWSE. At the start, I thought I would be able to justify the private ownership model, but the issue in the Australian context is that private ownership has almost inevitably eroded the fundamental link between club and community. Look at the AFL and private ownership of the Swans and Brisbane bears. We are different to the USA where sporting clubs are ‘franchises’ that can be upped and moved at any time.
I don’t disagree that it can work with the right owner, but i think it would take an owner who is willing to underwrite the business while leaving it for others - ie members of the community - to run.
In saying that, we are where we are and if it is a choice between the Penns as owners and no club at all, then I am ok with what we have.

Gus's quote, "Barrett rang me", haven't heard barrett deny this..!!

Barrett’s now out of his depth, a rookie coach needs all the support he can get & it’s clear the people he’s confiding in are leaking to the media. It may be time to call it. Bringing in an experienced coach and his support staff is the way forward. Then the Penns need to sort the front office out.

In saying that, we are where we are and if it is a choice between the Penns as owners and no club at all, then I am ok with what we have.

They are what we have for better or worse. But if someone with the money to make it work and a genuine love for the club (e.g. Hugh Jackman or even a Max Delmege) came along and bought them out, I don't think many of us would be all that unhappy to see the back of them. This club has had nothing but trouble since they got involved.

As previously said.
Penn is Greenburg in a maroon and white tie.

If he sold up and moved on, I have no doubt another buyer/ consortium would come knocking. Sht, if the Titans could land a consortium type buyer, surely we can.

As previously said.
Penn is Greenburg in a maroon and white tie.

If he sold up and moved on, I have no doubt another buyer/ consortium would come knocking. Sht, if the Titans could land a consortium type buyer, surely we can.
And the Titans did, again also.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10