The enemy within

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
They are what we have for better or worse. But if someone with the money to make it work and a genuine love for the club (e.g. Hugh Jackman or even a Max Delmege) came along and bought them out, I don't think many of us would be all that unhappy to see the back of them. This club has had nothing but trouble since they got involved.
Why do people think Hugh Jackman has the money to bail out manly? Nice bloke but he wouldn’t be filthy rich enough to throw money away every year. Souths have a large membership base, Good sponsors, they play out of a quality stadium that doesn’t charge much and they make decent revenue. Russell Crowe doesn’t have to worry about putting cash in and his shares are probably worth something. I don’t think wolverine can stand to lose a million a year while we have the lemon that is brookie.

In my opinion we should be grateful regardless of what you think of them that the penns are willing to effectively burn $1mil a year to keep the club going. Brookie needs to be fixed before anyone else with cash would even consider coming near it

We should be looking for a part owner in New York. The eagle is a perfect fit. They could have a NRL side and a NRL side (us). The Toronto Wolfpack is s great springboard for that idea.

Why do people think Hugh Jackman has the money to bail out manly? Nice bloke but he wouldn’t be filthy rich enough to throw money away every year. Souths have a large membership base, Good sponsors, they play out of a quality stadium that doesn’t charge much and they make decent revenue. Russell Crowe doesn’t have to worry about putting cash in and his shares are probably worth something. I don’t think wolverine can stand to lose a million a year while we have the lemon that is brookie.

Hugh Jackman Net Worth: $150 Million

I do wonder whether the overseas owner may have merit one day soon. My guess is the NRL is not really an attractive option at present with low crowds and empty stand plus the lamentable leadership of Greenberg. Yet overseas owners have moved into V8 supercars with a bigwig like Roger Penske owning Dick Johnson's team and one of the Andretti's buying into another team. Perhaps the day will come when major NFL teams have a stake in teams like ours.

When the board was disfunctional, the team wasn’t affected. But now due to lack of direction from CEO down we are stuffed for 2018. Just hope good old Zorba is happy with what he’s done here. Unless there’s a spare box of culture up in the attic it’s hard to see it improving in 2019.
There’s the enemy from within right there.
As mentioned above.

Hate to point out the obvious but having a net worth of $10m doesn't mean he has the cash to buy and then fund a professional sporting side.

I'm not sure that buying an NRL side is the giant risk for a mega wealthy person that many are claiming. You pay your piddling $10 million then the NRL gives you $13 million a year to fund a $10 million salary cap.
What's with all the hand wringing?

Hugh Jackman Net Worth: $150 Million
Net worth is a bit different to available cash. How much of his worth would be tied up in large houses and other assets. I can’t see him liquidating assets to pour them into a money pit.

I'm not sure that buying an NRL side is the giant risk for a mega wealthy person that many are claiming. You pay your piddling $10 million then the NRL gives you $13 million a year to fund a $10 million salary cap.

It is estimated that admin, football staff and running cost are up to another $8-$10mil a year on top of players wages .... minus gate and merchandise etc ...

If you run it like a proper professional organization it costs a lot more than 13mil. There’s only two nrl clubs that turned a profit last year. Our football department is tiny. GWS afl employ about 30-40 football department staff. Physios, trainers, analysts, strength coaches, position coaches. Then you have training facility costs, capital expenditure (because no gov ever gives us cash), equipment, upkeep and operational costs of facilities, junior development, junior rep coaching, game day costs, transport to and from games (planes). If we had the same support staff and equipment as the roosters for example we’d be running a $2-3mil loss. That’s from knowledge of what they have vs what we have by a guy that’s worked at both

Edit: the cap on football department expenditure is $5.7mil. This doesn’t include capital expenditure. It’s estimated the dogs, Brisbane and the roosters were all spending upwards of $8mil a year

Last edited:
If you run it like a proper professional organization it costs a lot more than 13mil. There’s only two nrl clubs that turned a profit last year. Our football department is tiny. GWS afl employ about 30-40 football department staff. Physios, trainers, analysts, strength coaches, position coaches. Then you have training facility costs, capital expenditure (because no gov ever gives us cash), equipment, upkeep and operational costs of facilities, junior development, junior rep coaching, game day costs, transport to and from games (planes). If we had the same support staff and equipment as the roosters for example we’d be running a $2-3mil loss. That’s from knowledge of what they have vs what we have by a guy that’s worked at both

Edit: the cap on football department expenditure is $5.7mil. This doesn’t include capital expenditure. It’s estimated the dogs, Brisbane and the roosters were all spending upwards of $8mil a year
Surely though it's just another vanity project for the rich? Like owning yachts, private jets, etc.

Surely though it's just another vanity project for the rich? Like owning yachts, private jets, etc.
Not afl clubs they make money. Nrl is one of the only “professional” sports I can think of that is so flush with cash yet they lose money. The American sports are big businesses

Exactly .... and they are the best type of owners ... tragic supporters like Delmege that don't mind forking out the big ones for their passion ....

I think it was Ted Turner when asked why he sank millions into his Basketball team replied .... "some of my mates spend millions every year on their boats ... I don't like boats"

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8