The Dressing Room - are they sacred ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Let's drop the AFB saga for a moment, as without making it a non issue, it's been clearly turned into something far more sinister than it was intended and the real rats involved are allowed to scurry back into their holes....
I am interested in something else this has opened up (literally) - the rugby league dressing room....
As a former player and coach , as a fan, as a bloke who has been involved in footy for 35 years plus, have always been led to believe the dressing sheds were a "what happens here - stays here" type of place.
There will be argument that AFB shouted in there a little loudly, let me tell you I have heard some wild colorful comments that were loud enough to hear outside the grounds before...and often.
Is the dressing room now a place to "listen in", as I think in 100% of losing dressing rooms you will hear the coach and players showing disgust at officials call, opposition players and even ...themselves....in fact you'll hear comments worse than this from a winning shed....it's just part of footy and most involved with the sport understand this...a bit like - "what happens on the field, stays on the field"
In fact there has been far worse comments, than anything that has been mentioned in any of these so called reports from officials and media scum.
My point is - Will this be now a common part of the game or only a 1 off that "happens" to be against Manly...again.
Has anyone heard of players and clubs being in trouble for comments from their own dressing room, because I can't say I have at any level of footy.

Let's drop the AFB saga for a moment, as without making it a non issue, it's been clearly turned into something far more sinister than it was intended and the real rats involved are allowed to scurry back into their holes....
I am interested in something else this has opened up (literally) - the rugby league dressing room....
As a former player and coach , as a fan, as a bloke who has been involved in footy for 35 years plus, have always been led to believe the dressing sheds were a "what happens here - stays here" type of place.
There will be argument that AFB shouted in there a little loudly, let me tell you I have heard some wild colorful comments that were loud enough to hear outside the grounds before...and often.
Is the dressing room now a place to "listen in", as I think in 100% of losing dressing rooms you will hear the coach and players showing disgust at officials call, opposition players and even ...themselves....in fact you'll hear comments worse than this from a winning shed....it's just part of footy and most involved with the sport understand this...a bit like - "what happens on the field, stays on the field"
In fact far worse than anything that has been mentioned in any of these so called reports from officials and media scum.
My point is - Will this be now a common part of the game or only a 1 off that "happens" to be against Manly...again.
Has anyone heard of players and clubs being in trouble for comments from their own dressing room, because I can't say I have at any level of footy.
I'll have my money on '1 off' thanks Maxta. They'd be shockingly short odds though. Compare the response to Fifita's proposed Titans backflip to DCE's and you'll see that my money is safe as houses. THAT was a '1 off' for the ages.

Not footy but back in 2003, Darren Lehmann got done for racial abuse for his outburst in the Australian dressing room.
He'd been run out v Sri Lanka and dropped the c bomb a few times along with black.
Sri Lankans in the adjoining dressing room reported it - he got 5 matches and undertook racism counselling.

Listening to BSB on the way to work this morning. Yvonne Sampson (who I do like usually and often has more insightful comments than the 'experts' around her) said the AFB comments, whether in the sheds or not, were completely out of line and he deserved to be punished. My first thought is this is someone who hasn't spent much time in a dressing shed environment. To make it worse though, both Daley and Clarke went on to agree with her. I fully expected Daley at least to perhaps go with the line of keeping anything from the sheds out of it, but no. I guarantee he has got back to sheds after coping a wrong decision and has let fly about it. And as for Clarke, cricketers are renowned for dressing room blowups after a bad call has seen them dismissed, anything from a foul mouthed rant to destroying furniture and equipment. I think what he got is about right, 2 weeks and a substantial fine and some sort work with disabled kids to educate him better on their plight. Surely this does more good at promoting awareness then saying you can't play football for another 4 weeks, or whatever people are suggesting.

Back in the day .. before the Jane Try Stand .... the sheds were under the old wooden stand ... poor grannie could hear ever word yelled at the players by coaches that were A grade sprayers ... I recall Ray Ritchie getting several pleas to keep it down ...

Listening to BSB on the way to work this morning. Yvonne Sampson (who I do like usually and often has more insightful comments than the 'experts' around her) said the AFB comments, whether in the sheds or not, were completely out of line and he deserved to be punished. My first thought is this is someone who hasn't spent much time in a dressing shed environment. To make it worse though, both Daley and Clarke went on to agree with her. I fully expected Daley at least to perhaps go with the line of keeping anything from the sheds out of it, but no. I guarantee he has got back to sheds after coping a wrong decision and has let fly about it. And as for Clarke, cricketers are renowned for dressing room blowups after a bad call has seen them dismissed, anything from a foul mouthed rant to destroying furniture and equipment. I think what he got is about right, 2 weeks and a substantial fine and some sort work with disabled kids to educate him better on their plight. Surely this does more good at promoting awareness then saying you can't play football for another 4 weeks, or whatever people are suggesting.

So Yvonne and Daley work for the same media outlet that took old Wayne's word that whatever Latrell was crying about was no oneselse's business because it was in the changeroom yeah?
Nothing to see hear media, move on....and they did.

The world has changed. Best that the players, coaches etc. get used to it. I suspect AFB was borderline at best - much like the kid who yells out something about the teacher as soon as they're out of the classroom.
As for cameras in the rooms, no they shouldn't be there but it's part of 'the rich tv contracts' that they are. They can be aware of them enough to know which way to turn their game plan white board, and, for the most part, not to be naked in front of them (not talking about you Robbo) so they can be aware enough not to do anything that might get them suspended.
Keep in mind that there are no microphones in there so they can say whatever they want.
And as for Lattrell, any player upset enough to be in tears in the dressing room deserves to be left alone. Bennett did absolutely the right thing there.

The world has changed. Best that the players, coaches etc. get used to it. I suspect AFB was borderline at best - much like the kid who yells out something about the teacher as soon as they're out of the classroom.
As for cameras in the rooms, no they shouldn't be there but it's part of 'the rich tv contracts' that they are. They can be aware of them enough to know which way to turn their game plan white board, and, for the most part, not to be naked in front of them (not talking about you Robbo) so they can be aware enough not to do anything that might get them suspended.
Keep in mind that there are no microphones in there so they can say whatever they want.
And as for Lattrell, any player upset enough to be in tears in the dressing room deserves to be left alone. Bennett did absolutely the right thing there.

Bennett did do the right thing..

What I was trying to point out that Yvonne, Daley et al lambast one instance but how many others are there that we don't see and/or hear about because FOX/9 choose to not show it.
They pushed with Latrell but got told in no uncertain terms to drop it.

Why pick and choose because it suits a particular angle or agenda?

Not footy but back in 2003, Darren Lehmann got done for racial abuse for his outburst in the Australian dressing room.
He'd been run out v Sri Lanka and dropped the c bomb a few times along with black.
Sri Lankans in the adjoining dressing room reported it - he got 5 matches and undertook racism counselling.
In that same game, the thrower called Gilly a “white c**t” and was clearly heard on the stump mic. Gilly blew up and was forced to apologise...

go figure..

The dressing room is the sanctity of the players and NO comments should be off limits, it's unfortunate that others could hear it, but so be it.
If AFB goes home and starts venting and his neighbours can hear him will the NRL punish him for that, sometimes things slip out in the heat of the moment, where does it stop?
Now they're talking about chasing Adam Elliott for getting his gear of at a private party five years ago, and I think this one is separate from that private room in a pub incident, FMD .

If it was reported that it was said in the sheds to no one in particular it probably wouldn’t have seen The light of day , Cause it was reported incorrectly Manly had to produce the pictures to clarify what actually happened and explain that he vented in the sheds and Not directly at the referee in the tunnel

I don't think cameras should be in the dressing room. I also believe there should be a space for players only or more simply no moronic reporters allowed.

Andrew Ettingshausen certainly thinks no photographers should be allowed near the showers. Seeing the players sitting around the sheds before hand doesn't add much to the game for me.

I think as @Woodsie said above about hearing the half time sprays; the local team I used to watch had their change room under the stands- and at every half time the captain/coach would invariably let loose 2000 words of which 1500 of them were the "f" word. Much to the giggles of all us 'adults' above.

Players shouldn't be held accountable for anything said in the dressing room that's overheard as long as it's not the subjects we all know about. Screaming "the refs are damn corrupt bribe taking cheats" while in the dressing room, and a ref hears it.... is ok in my book (but probably best not done).

So...can the camera, not needed but as they are probably here to stay... other areas in the rooms should be off limits.

BTW: Isn't it the height of hypocrisy that Weedler says it's the public interest, then Gus asks him to tell him who said something and danny refuses to quote his source?

Gus is right, maybe journos should be miked up.

Ben barber got cleared of sexist comments toward a female journo from inside the sheds or similar at training . Cant recall all details but apparently he was asking one of the boys to come in and assume the position......that real big farker that always resented being tackled of all people.......what was his name, went to melbourne

Of course these and many other stories are locked in the chroncicles of greenberg

Well cop a further $20,000 fine....

I assume this is for the dressing room stuff as they had already agreed missing 2 games was his punishment...hope they all f### off now and leave him and Manly alone

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2