The des story

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
man o man would i love to know every bit of nitty gritty that made des leave. Sure we have heard bits and pieces from both sides of the war , but if we are honest we must believe there were only some truths in both. The blame game was in full swing and both sides chucked the toys out of the cot. Politically neither side needed Des departure on the resume of public perception.

For starters i can not ever think with all things being equal that Des would want to leave manly. Backended contracts , better training facilities, cash, yep all good reasons but for mine none defining. Assuming we believe manly upped the cash , he was still prepared to walk and not look back. Everyone blames des for trying to take everything and everyone with him but history has shown us most wanted out and Des just helped his staff with the transition.surely if you take the pirate patch off you could see this happening in any business.

**** working environment obviously full of political spin, it cost another manly man in tooves his job. So did Des just see the writing on the wall about the internal war and wanted out before it wanted him out.

Everyone has there own spin on Des, some mature some not so. All i know is i wish he never left, i wish he never felt he had too, and i wish all the bull**** would one day end.

Im not prepared for manly to sack barrett for des. That sucks doggsies, but as Des would get paid out a hefty sum i am very happy to see him fill some sort of consultancy role for trent or even replace cartwright as assistant. Will he become the NSW coach even

Des could easily help barrett, provide a ready and able replacement if required , or morph into head of footy operations . He would be an invaluable resource to the club.

Come on Penns bring him home but this time with style and dignity. This squad is one he could add too and so is trent.

Too many egos with Des, Bozo, ZtC, Penn and Cleary to squeeze Des back it just would not work.
My opinion is ( Des was my teacher at St Pius X back in the day) is des saw the money and power on offer at the dogs, and saw the Kpi's at Manly and took the cash ( and tried to take all the staff).

Probably good and bad on both sides but I suspect in the final decision egos ruled.

I am not a fan of bringing Des back whilst Baz is still there, Baz is a man and has to make his own mark. Bozo providing input, advice and a shadow on the shoulder is enough.

I find it hard to blame des tbh
All weve heard about from the end of 2008 til now is the bullshjt board room politics... Its cost us owners, its cost us sponsors, its cost us players, its cost us ceo's.. (what number is cleary now, 5th since 08???), it cost us toovey...
Obviously something is very rotten at manly, and to simply say des is a grub who left for more cash seems extremely ignorant

I tend to think Des was the culprit if we want to play the blame game...to announce that he was leaving and rob the club and players the opportunity to bask in the glory of a premiership was incredibly selfish and egotistical. The players were filthy with him and none of them went to the Dogs outside of T-Rex who was a waste of space anyway.

Yes, our club had internal rubbling and politics but if Des really cared for the place and the players, he would not have behaved the way he did...it was a case of packing his bags and going somewhere else for his own interests.

I don't completely hate him because coached us to two premierships but I don't know about having him back because that involves another clean out and start again job and we've just had one.

Too many egos with Des, Bozo, ZtC, Penn and Cleary to squeeze Des back it just would not work.
My opinion is ( Des was my teacher at St Pius X back in the day) is des saw the money and power on offer at the dogs, and saw the Kpi's at Manly and took the cash ( and tried to take all the staff).

As far as I know ( and I was reasonably connected at the time ) that pretty much nails it!

The KPI's thing though is a Furphy!

Probably good and bad on both sides but I suspect in the final decision egos ruled.

I am not a fan of bringing Des back whilst Baz is still there, Baz is a man and has to make his own mark. Bozo providing input, advice and a shadow on the shoulder is enough.

Yeah baz is the boss. I have no time to bring des back to white ant trent. I reckon if des was given a role to assist or consult he would have no part in white anting trent either.

But des has been to 4 gfs . He has had some great players but he can pace a team to peak at the right time, which i see as probably one of his best attributes I have an inner fear we are currently looking to peak earlier to save jobs

I get why people are against it, but everyone needs a mentor, and bozo has the runs on the board, but its been a long time between innings

I tend to think Des was the culprit if we want to play the blame game...to announce that he was leaving and rob the club and players the opportunity to bask in the glory of a premiership was incredibly selfish and egotistical. The players were filthy with him and none of them went to the Dogs outside of T-Rex who was a waste of space anyway.

Yes, our club had internal rubbling and politics but if Des really cared for the place and the players, he would not have behaved the way he did...it was a case of packing his bags and going somewhere else for his own interests.

I don't completely hate him because coached us to two premierships but I don't know about having him back because that involves another clean out and start again job and we've just had one.

Yep, that's my exact opinion as well.

Never ever forgive De$ for what he did to us after the GF, we should have celebrated for weeks, all we did is argue and fight.

Personally love what Des done for Manly early on to transform a battling team - into contenders - into the Dominating force in the NRL.
Also gave the team backbone and a winning culture - Good times they were.
Then pulled off 1 of the biggest backdoor jobs of ALL time....
If he wanted to leave for more money...family reasons...Hell - A challenge as they say....Would have wished him well and happy if they had his statue outside Lottoland!!
But tried to steal players, was long gone BEFORE the GF win and that Victory in 2011 was Soured big time, from the way it played out....by the man himself...was he a great coach - Bloody oath!! - but went to his head to the point he thought he was bigger than Manly itself - Big Mistake....

man o man would i love to know every bit of nitty gritty that made des leave. Sure we have heard bits and pieces from both sides of the war , but if we are honest we must believe there were only some truths in both. The blame game was in full swing and both sides chucked the toys out of the cot. Politically neither side needed Des departure on the resume of public perception. For starters i can not ever think with all things being equal that Des would want to leave manly. Backended contracts , better training facilities, cash, yep all good reasons but for mine none defining. Assuming we believe manly upped the cash , he was still prepared to walk and not look back. Everyone blames des for trying to take everything and everyone with him but history has shown us most wanted out and Des just helped his staff with the transition.surely if you take the pirate patch off you could see this happening in any business. **** working environment obviously full of political spin, it cost another manly man in tooves his job. So did Des just see the writing on the wall about the internal war and wanted out before it wanted him out. Everyone has there own spin on Des, some mature some not so. All i know is i wish he never left, i wish he never felt he had too, and i wish all the bull**** would one day end. Im not prepared for manly to sack barrett for des. That sucks doggsies, but as Des would get paid out a hefty sum i am very happy to see him fill some sort of consultancy role for trent or even replace cartwright as assistant. Will he become the NSW coach even Des could easily help barrett, provide a ready and able replacement if required , or morph into head of footy operations . He would be an invaluable resource to the club. Come on Penns bring him home but this time with style and dignity. This squad is one he could add too and so is trent.
Our coach beat Des's team 36 nil! He has achieved zip since he left this great club He should beg to come back after ruining our grand final celebrations!!!

Last edited:
No way do I blame Des and only Des for leaving.
Clubs own incompetence played it's part and both sides did many wrong things.
But I think head of football would be a great role for Des for a while anyway.,
It won't be here but somewhere.
He looks stuffed at the moment.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9