The crackdown & milking penalties

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I am in actually in favour of the players milking penalties. Then get up laughing at the opponent.
Great gamesmanship. Which is a time-honoured tradition in the (formerly great) game of rugba league. Adds to the hero-villain narrative, I don't mind it.

I am in actually in favour of the players milking penalties. Then get up laughing at the opponent.
Great gamesmanship. Which is a time-honoured tradition in the (formerly great) game of rugba league. Adds to the hero-villain narrative, I don't mind it.
It's funny how on a few weeks back many were laughing at how Benny Elias bit his own hand, blamed Mario and got Mario sent off. Benny cheated, plain and simple, but he is lauded as a larrikin.

Interesting how the refs can call milking if a player with the ball is flopping around trying to get up yet can't seem to do the same when a player is brushed on the noggin'.

As others have said, a mandatory hia for players staying down is probably needed.

what a schemozzle and anusley saying "awww come on guys, just play fair" isn't going to work.

Interesting how the refs can call milking if a player with the ball is flopping around trying to get up yet can't seem to do the same when a player is brushed on the noggin'.

As others have said, a mandatory hia for players staying down is probably needed.

what a schemozzle and anusley saying "awww come on guys, just play fair" isn't going to work.
I’m guessing the issue with the head knock is it might not be milking.

I believe my suggestion is as close to “ good” as we could get.

Head shot with intent , off or bin, injured player to HIA.

Grey area , on report , no penalty, play on.

That would fix the rash of send offs AND the milking.

I’m guessing the issue with the head knock is it might not be milking.

I believe my suggestion is as close to “ good” as we could get.

Head shot with intent , off or bin, injured player to HIA.

Grey area , on report , no penalty, play on.

That would fix the rash of send offs AND the milking.
That's the thing. The NRL has to assume that staying down after a headknock is not milking. That's even more reason they should be sent for a HIA.

I've had no response to my question about the fines dispensed by the NRL so I'm assuming none of us know if the players actually pay them.
Could it be that the fines are merely PR by the NRL to hoodwink us into believing that they are really cracking down on misdemeanors? Does the NRL list the accumulated funds in their balance sheet? If so, how much have they garnered this season already?
How do players on base wage afford the fines, which are quite heafty?
Are any of us in professions where we risk having our salaries docked if we are deemed to have made a mistake?

I've had no response to my question about the fines dispensed by the NRL so I'm assuming none of us know if the players actually pay them.
Probably about as much chance of getting a print out showing total cash, and gratuities, dispersed to players by clubs (and their proxies)...

Could it be that the fines are merely PR by the NRL to hoodwink us into believing that they are really cracking down on misdemeanors? Does the NRL list the accumulated funds in their balance sheet? If so, how much have they garnered this season already?
How do players on base wage afford the fines, which are quite heafty?
Are any of us in professions where we risk having our salaries docked if we are deemed to have made a mistake?

Yes, I didn't know, sorry.

I do know the nhl fines come out of the players wage (I guess the owners could replenish their coffers but... I doubt if they do) and the fine money goes to a 'player welfare' fund.

as for the nrl, I'm sure they stuff it up in a few ways.

I just remembered (don't know how pertinent it is but anyway).

Remember a couple of years ago when dummy halves were just throwing the ball straight down into an opposition player to claim they got in the way of the pass?

The refs could have easily ruled against that b/s every single time but never did. I think some rule had to be changed to stop it. It only happened for a few weeks.

so if the refs wouldn't rule "no penalty- ya deliberately threw the ball into the opposition player, ya drongo" - then I have very little hope they'll ever rule milking for the head taps.

If anything it'll make the faker lay down more...get taken off, the clubs dodgy doc will then say the player was concussed...outrage ensues and everyone goes back to being cats and destroying the game we all love.

Mandatory hia is the way... and none of this run off and run straight back on b/s either.

fmd v'lamday and others, sort your crap out. "done well" my botbot

Mandatory hia is the way... and none of this run off and run straight back on b/s either.
Problem is that this won't stop someone laying down in the last few minutes of a big game (or any game for that matter) to receive a penalty and get a shot at goal (or get the piggy back penalty that puts them in position for a FG)...

I have no problem in principle with the HIA rule but it will not stop players milking penalties at important times to affect the result - they will just cop the HIA....

the NRL needs to move back away from penalties everytime there is ANY contact and make it a ref's call again - it is the ONLY way to stop this BS... and it does not prevent them from issuing fines/suspensions after the game...

edit - of course they could suspend players for laying down but I am not sure that suspending players that have been 'hit' in the head is great optics and is certainly counter-productive to the current 'we won't accept ANY contact to the head' PR BS - they would be better off just not awarding the sh*t BS penalty to start with...

Last edited:
I was impressed by the way the SOO was refereed, and by the way it was played. Apart from a few debateable six-agains to Queensland I thought the ref was fair and allowed the match to flow under the current rules, particularly compared to a standard NRL game where the officials jump at shadows.
I also was impressed by the way the players were prepared to cop the accidental knocks and not opt to milk a penalty.
I enjoyed the spectacle. It was a great example of attacking RL yet still had the required toughness. The blood streaming from Cleary's face added to the drama, and the colour.
I don't often give a wrap to RL officials but I thought this SOO went off perfectly. Although, I'm not so sure Queensland supporters will agree.

I was impressed by the way the SOO was refereed, and by the way it was played. Apart from a few debateable six-agains to Queensland I thought the ref was fair and allowed the match to flow under the current rules, particularly compared to a standard NRL game where the officials jump at shadows.
I also was impressed by the way the players were prepared to cop the accidental knocks and not opt to milk a penalty.
I enjoyed the spectacle. It was a great example of attacking RL yet still had the required toughness. The blood streaming from Cleary's face added to the drama, and the colour.
I don't often give a wrap to RL officials but I thought this SOO went off perfectly. Although, I'm not so sure Queensland supporters will agree.
Completely agree... one of the best examples of rugby league refereeing in recent memory...

I thought Gerard Sutton did an absolutely magnificent job, especially under the strain of the recent 'spotlight', to allow the game to flow and to let non-issues remain non-issues... I actually thought his interpretation of the 6-again was also fair and in tune with the pace of the game... great job...

Nothing is more important than player welfare. Forceful head hits will result in a sin binning and probably suspension:

- v'landoh and annesley

$1600 fine only, no sin bin, no suspension.

4ae25a6aea48d3d7044470930adbcb9c

nothing, nada, nope, nil, nix

nAndhzP.png

I think the worst hit was Fotuaka late shot on Mitchell. One week for that, and no sin bin. I'm sure there was a similar hit earlier this year (maybe on Papenhuyzen, or Teddy?) that drew huge media backlash and this one was every bit as bad.

Nothing is more important than player welfare. Forceful head hit hits will result in a sin binning and probably suspension:

- v'landoh and annesley

$1600 fine only, no sin bin, no suspension.

4ae25a6aea48d3d7044470930adbcb9c

nothing, nada, nope, nil, nix

nAndhzP.png
Valerie Holmes' intentional collision with Toho's head was extremely reckless and could have resulted in a serious head injury .... I have replayed it several times and Holmes looks sideways at him and alters his gait to make contact .... should have been a penalty and sin bin as a minimum .... Felt, Munster and Holmes should all be cited if the new rules are seriously and fairly administered ... imho

I think the worst hit was Fotuaka late shot on Mitchell. One week for that, and no sin bin. I'm sure there was a similar hit earlier this year (maybe on Papenhuyzen, or Teddy?) that drew huge media backlash and this one was every bit as bad.
it was f*cking terrible... there was a proper 2 seconds between him throwing the pass and copping the hit...

I can't stand Latrine but if that was a halfback in a regular match then Joey and the muppets at nein would be screaming the house down...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4