The Clean Out 2024 Post

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

KNUCKLES

Bencher
I blame Seibold for his recruitment. He went for experience and the team is too slow. Youth and athleticism is the answer!

Also, we need a hooker. Chan Kum Tong would be in the grand final for sloppiest service in the NRL. Those spiral passes are under 6s and the pausing to release the ball? What’s that all about?!
We have the fastest backline in the comp I reckon.. its our forwards where we lack in real mobility

Pete W

Bencher
Agree with a lot on this thread, but despite some great posts, the majority of our (highest paid) squad are signed for years still. Whether right or wrong, the most efficient clean out is sacking the coach, and hoping the next one can:
  • instill a hard, defensive culture
  • make the changes necessary regardless of egos, salaries, and reputations
  • bring with them a little more pulling power when it comes to much needed recruitment (players who have the attitude first and foremost)

But hate to burst everyone's bubble, there will be no player cleanout any time soon

Rocky

Bencher
Agree with a lot on this thread, but despite some great posts, the majority of our (highest paid) squad are signed for years still. Whether right or wrong, the most efficient clean out is sacking the coach, and hoping the next one can:
  • bring with them a little more pulling power when it comes to much needed recruitment (players who have the attitude first and foremost)

But hate to burst everyone's bubble, there will be no player cleanout any time soon
You are right about no clean out. Realistically Lawton goes next year and Aloiai won't be re-signed when his contract expires. That's probably it in terms of the top 17.

Seibold has gambled on experience and an attack-first mindset. But you win games these days with defence and young fast guys, sprinkled with some guys with experience to hold things together.

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
nil clean out happening anytime soon but do agree with a good deal of the OP.

Sone observations over the past couple of games:

Koula must stay at fb and Tom at centre but with a roving license.

Talau must stay at centre and Garrick back to the wing.

We are not playing direct enough. Every bloody game we throw it sideways and it’s easy to read. Both last night and v dolphins we had them on the ropes yet we fail to attack around the ruck. I think this also stifles Haumole. Work through the middle, then attack the edge. Do acknowledge this is due a bit to not having a creative 9. Which brings me to:

Need to find a decent 9 somewhere. From here I would persist with gordie or give JH a shot in 14. Croker 9 but he needs a decent spell.

Damn shame we have let a great start drift away losing the last 3 by a total of 7pts! Next 5 weeks is going to be interesting.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
No one is going to buy out toms contract
No one would buy out jakes at his rate
If cherry is on 850 i reckon he could be moved on without freight. Especially at the moment while the media keep pumping up his tyres
Its the only big money play manly has IMO and the only way to move the dial

The chooks would do it and it has nothing to with resources or clout. The mitchell pearce moment is like the recession we have to have

Bomb Voyage

Reserve Grader
No one is going to buy out toms contract
No one would buy out jakes at his rate
If cherry is on 850 i reckon he could be moved on without freight. Especially at the moment while the media keep pumping up his tyres
Its the only big money play manly has IMO and the only way to move the dial

The chooks would do it and it has nothing to with resources or clout. The mitchell pearce moment is like the recession we have to have
but who would we replace them with?

Bomb Voyage

Reserve Grader

agree but which coach

Sheikheagle

First Grader
Tipping Member
I blame Seibold for his recruitment. He went for experience and the team is too slow. Youth and athleticism is the answer!

Also, we need a hooker. Chan Kum Tong would be in the grand final for sloppiest service in the NRL. Those spiral passes are under 6s and the pausing to release the ball? What’s that all about?!

Awful pass he was hard to watch. Surely humphries offers more.

Sheikheagle

First Grader
Tipping Member
I feel like I am only one that gets frustrated by the pause before he passes as well. Have you noticed it? I've raised it before but no one else really seemed to get what I was referencing. He reaches down, puts his hands on the ball, then pauses before passing it.

Couldn’t believe it to be honest. Must be off putting for the 1st receiver.

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
I feel like I am only one that gets frustrated by the pause before he passes as well. Have you noticed it? I've raised it before but no one else really seemed to get what I was referencing. He reaches down, puts his hands on the ball, then pauses before passing it.
I notice it. But he does flick it off the deck reasonably well. I’m prepared to give him a chance because he’s only just got a shot. Rather have him in 14 than Lawton when frog is back.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
I notice it. But he does flick it off the deck reasonably well. I’m prepared to give him a chance because he’s only just got a shot. Rather have him in 14 than Lawton when frog is back.
Sometimes the right to left spiral is serviceable but I’m yet to see a single first grade standard pass from left to right…they’re shockers. Canberra have a similar problem with Tom Starling, but his acceleration offsets the issue a little. Still, it’s stopped Ricky from giving him anything more than an impact role of the bench.

We need a genuine 9, not Croker’s makeshift efforts and CKT short stints off the bench. Just an armchair critics opinion 😂

Pete W

Bencher
agree but which coach
Not exactly an experienced premiership winner (let's face it, Wayne and Craig won't be at Brookvale any time soon), but I reckon the best coach without a head coaching role right now is John Morris.

2017 NYC coach of the season after minor premiership finish
2019-20 two from two finals appearances as head coach of Sharks, admirable under trying circumstances considering he was always seen as just an interim.
2022 to halfway 2023 defensive coach of souths - their form during this time defensively speaks for itself. He leaves and they literally collapse.
Tigers defensive coach as of this year, and still early days, but despite the fact that we are talking about the Tigers, I note an improvement in grittiness and defensive resolve (before this round, they were conceding fewer points per game than us).

He's a no nonsense, hard-work kind of man. Had to train, tackle and play harder to compensate for not being the most naturally gifted. Astute, great footy mind, and good with players and big personalities. He has achieved a hell of a lot more than our guy with a lot less.

We need simple and disciplined, with a focus on defence. This is Morris, and the polar opposite of Seibold.

There's my three cents...

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Yeah, I noticed it last night for the first time. Quite bizarre. It's almost like he's concentrating on stopping the ball first, making sure it's not moving before he picks it up. So the pause is with the ball still on the ground. Whatever it is, it's not one smooth movement.

Wet weather rugby trick from years ago, using leather balls. The scrum half from the back of ruck pushes down on ball to secure it, before picking it up… try it, it actually works. Taught a long time ago by an ex wallaby.

FYI it’s a crappy play for a nrl hooker and it pisses me off too with these balls lol

I am new and wanted to say thank you for having me on board. I am celebrating 40 years as a Sea Eagle supporter this year. I value alot of what has been said and have my own thoughts to share.

Firstly, the coach we hired to revolutionise our team has not done that successfully and needs to be replaced. My own take would be to hire John Morris and Michael Monaghan. Secondly, we need a clean out of players. For all the accurate observations regarding their outstanding behaviour and stature as upstanding gentleman, the Trbojevic brothers have not produced in comparison to their high price tag. Secondly, the inconsistent players signed from other clubs to fill gaps, need to be moved on. They are not performing. We are a power club, a leading club, and us Manly people do not accept the mediocrity that we have been subjected to. Our ownership need to do a whole lot better.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
Not exactly an experienced premiership winner (let's face it, Wayne and Craig won't be at Brookvale any time soon), but I reckon the best coach without a head coaching role right now is John Morris.

2017 NYC coach of the season after minor premiership finish
2019-20 two from two finals appearances as head coach of Sharks, admirable under trying circumstances considering he was always seen as just an interim.
2022 to halfway 2023 defensive coach of souths - their form during this time defensively speaks for itself. He leaves and they literally collapse.
Tigers defensive coach as of this year, and still early days, but despite the fact that we are talking about the Tigers, I note an improvement in grittiness and defensive resolve (before this round, they were conceding fewer points per game than us).

He's a no nonsense, hard-work kind of man. Had to train, tackle and play harder to compensate for not being the most naturally gifted. Astute, great footy mind, and good with players and big personalities. He has achieved a hell of a lot more than our guy with a lot less.

We need simple and disciplined, with a focus on defence. This is Morris, and the polar opposite of Seibold.

There's my three cents...
He also improved lots of players when he was at the Sharks. Will Kennedy wouldn’t be the player he is now without Morris. Also, the back 5 at Cronulla were doing the same thing under Morris. The difference at Cronulla now is Hynes. They’ve been building steadily for years now.

I also agree with the idea of simple and disciplined. We’ve got naturally gifted attacking players right across the squad so why focus so intently on elaborate attack? It’s also counter intuitive as all out attack leads to errors more often than points so you gain nothing in the balance of probability. We’d be better getting into a grind and tiring the opposition out, before breaking them apart in the final half hour of games.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14
12 6 6 77 14
11 6 5 -38 14