The catalyst for change

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
For those that have read my posts on this subject, you will know my thoughts on the current configuration of the business and it's workability, or lack thereof.

You will also note the occasional mention from me that the only way for things to change and in fact for manly to survive would be for someone to make a decision that is tough on them but for the benefit of the club. The fact is things are not workable and the current configuration is both unbalanced and susceptible to people making decision based on personal opinion and not based on that which will benefit the business.

Quite simply, volunteers do not make good business board members, their investment in the survival of the club is only to continue in an unpaid position, they are personally invested and make emotional decisions.

A board member need not be famous, generous or even that intelligent, what is needed is business acumen and experience.
To that end the PR based recruitment of board members who lack the experience needed, not only has to end, it also has to be undone.

To that end it is my opinion that the person who has decided to move on and thus put the process for change in motion is des hasler. His decision to move on is the shocking wake up call that fans, members and each of the boards need in order to fix what is broken.

I think the path foreword and the only path to survival is now pretty clear. I would watch for the club stalwarts and big names of old to now stand up and take the bull by the horns.

I can see a vote of no confidence coming in the board real soon. All boards that is. We should see the puppet members moved on and the egos should join them.

So whilst the end of hasler at brookvale may hurt right now, he has made the move to change the club.

The worst thing that could happen now is for nothing to change. If the members or someone doesn't take this thing by the scruff of the neck and make the ballsy decisions that have to be made, then we may as well start engraving the tombstone of the sea eagles.

So it's a shame that the person that fell on their sword wasn't the one that should have had to and was the one we wanted to keep, but it was the one with the greatest impact.

There is no use lamenting on what could have been and should have been done, for now the only thing to do is to move forward, take the emotion out of it and to start making your voices heard. I hope with all my heart that we have someone ready to shake thing up and to get the business side back on track, because if we don't and we just plug holes we will all be supporting a team that no longer exists 5 years from now.

Dan

Great post Dan and exactly what I am thinking.

The 2009 Season Launch, the Delmege-Penn stuff, the Football Club incompetencies, the sacking of Mayer etc have been blights on this club and it must come to end. Time to clean up the mess!!

Baby philosophy: If something stinks; change it!!!

Great Post Dan.

I thought Max Delmege had taken that hard step a while back to help precipitate change. It would have been very hard on him to do that, and reinforced last Sunday when he tried to enter the club and was told that he could not. Luckily sanity prevailed and he was allowed to enter.
Unfortunately, the folks that were left, failed to instigate the changes needed back then, but just enjoyed their victory. We had disharmony back in 2009, and it hasn't changed since.
Do you think anything different will happen now?
Just like at election time, we'll be fed with whatever bull**** the dudes wanting on the board will dish out, while pointing fingers at their opponents. Will their replacements be any better?

Great post Dan.
Fully agree. The cheap infighting factions with turds like Zorba stirring the pot need to be identified and cleared out. It's all so old school.
The board should resign, Penn should stay because he's got the $$.
A new leader needs to be found to rebuild the club.
Toovey will do a great job and Crusher can't be the only decent talent scout around. Players come and go too.

Great sentiment. The only thing I'll say is volunteers can work. They just need to be of the right character. You do need some people with that sort of passion on the board because if it came down to strict business decisions, then we'd be only one meeting away from dumping things like Brookie, the colours, the emblem.

What you need on any board is balance. Whilst elements of a footy club board are just like any other business, there are other factors in play which means not all decisions made should be aimed at increasing the bottom line. Its not easy by any means.

It is very simple to solve, the football club two board postions are given to independent people who are either sporting admin or business background - no direct affilation with the FC board members.

Unfortunately I doubt Reilly and Gainsford are the right people to represent the members. Votes should not be placed in a faction/blocks or are predetermined over a few drinks in the bar with the Leagues Club rep.

Like a public company the directors independence and acumen goes into any board votes and the votes are placed on the merit of the business case or the proposal that is placed before them. The right decisions are made for the business and not for self interest or political gain.

Factionalism is a cancer in our club, particulary when it comes to the board.

Sure replace the FC board but those who replace them must ensure that ther nominees for the MWSE board are independent and non aligned.

Good post Dan. What has happened is a bitter pill to swallow. I can't believe where we all were just 6 days ago.

Something good has to come out of all this.

Well said Dan. This club is now sitting on the precipice and if the right decisions aren't made now then we won't have a club to support. For someone like Des to do this means there are massive problems with the running of this club. It has to change. You cant have 3 different entities trying to run the show when only 2 of them tip in the necessary finances yet the other seems to have the majority power, it doesn't work as has now been illustrated. Manly must be run totally by either one entity or an equal partnership in decisions and finance. What possible reasons could there be not to re-sign Des earlier in the season. He had already proved what an outstanding coach and mentor he is. Imagine the desire of young kids to come and play at Manly the 2 time maybe 3 time premiership winning club with the best coach in the league. This absolute madness has now destroyed everything that Des and his players and staff have built over the last 8 seasons. The fans and sponsors have been left gutted and dissolusioned while all we hear is lies and deflections of blame. No one with the guts to stand up and tell us what is happening and why. Whoever is to blame here I hope you can sleep at night with the knowledge you have destroyed the hopes and dreams of thousands of supporters and sponsors. I should be gloating to all about another premiership win and a looming period of dominance but all I can do is sit here and shake my head at the rubble that was only a few days ago a proud and strong rugby league club.

mickqld said:
Well said Dan. This club is now sitting on the precipice and if the right decisions aren't made now then we won't have a club to support. For someone like Des to do this means there are massive problems with the running of this club. It has to change. You cant have 3 different entities trying to run the show when only 2 of them tip in the necessary finances yet the other seems to have the majority power, it doesn't work as has now been illustrated. Manly must be run totally by either one entity or an equal partnership in decisions and finance. What possible reasons could there be not to re-sign Des earlier in the season. He had already proved what an outstanding coach and mentor he is. Imagine the desire of young kids to come and play at Manly the 2 time maybe 3 time premiership winning club with the best coach in the league. This absolute madness has now destroyed everything that Des and his players and staff have built over the last 8 seasons. The fans and sponsors have been left gutted and dissolusioned while all we hear is lies and deflections of blame. No one with the guts to stand up and tell us what is happening and why. Whoever is to blame here I hope you can sleep at night with the knowledge you have destroyed the hopes and dreams of thousands of supporters and sponsors. I should be gloating to all about another premiership win and a looming period of dominance but all I can do is sit here and shake my head at the rubble that was only a few days ago a proud and strong rugby league club.
Great post mickqld. Your words express my feelings of being gutted like many others. Premiers one day - wan#ers the next.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2