[Resurrected] The Bunker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
They've tried all the variations on how the bunker decides a try - remember Refs Call and Benefit of the Doubt. All equally as controversial.

As far as GPS or ball tracking goes - they have the technology to do it - it's just a cost consideration. You'd have to set up tracking cameras on every ground in the NRL.

Get rid of the bunker! Years ago before the bunker or video ref there'd be an occasional wrong call or a few clangers. I could wear the call that went against you and move on, a mistake!

Now we have all the technology and still get it blatantly wrong because there's no common sense that goes with it.

The sooner we get rid of the bunker the better my blood pressure will get:)

The NRL needs to make a decision this offseason: are we prepared to take the time to make sure every little call is 100% right OR are we prepared to go back to a simpler system where the referees make decisions that may not always be correct.

It's no good having a system where it is only applied most of the time to get most of the decisions right. It allows for too much inconsistency.

Personally, I'd prefer they get rid of the video ref, the second referee and go back to letting one guy out there make the calls. Sure, there's going to be some bad decisions and howlers but the games will flow much better. If they don't do this, they may as well blindly review each try, add challenges and aim to get everything 100% right like the NFL. The game would become very slow to watch.

At the moment the refs don't have the confidence to make decisions anyway and are relying on the bunker to cover themselves. How often do we see the play let to continue in the hope that a try is scored so they don't have to make a decision?

Is the problem the bunker itself, or the idiots who man it?

Rugby union have a tmo who uses replays on calls. You don't hear too many complaints about it.

Of course one could argue that Union has quite a few competent refs, games have one ref and the TMO isn't manned by club aligned idiots.

Maybe the administrators of Union 'grew up' some time ago (unless you're a western force fan).

I'm pleased to read that Mr Personality, Wayne Bennett, has come on board with our movement to blow up the Bunker and revert back to one ref. It's the most sensible thing I think I've heard him say.

On the suggestion of one of the posters on this forum (forget who and which thread) I sent a reaction to the NRL.............and they responded (i'm guessing this is a standard draft for the countless Bunker complaints each week)!!

I feel so much better now! :rock::sick:

Hi .................,

Thanks for your email.

There is never going to be total agreement on all refereeing decisions. We appreciate your feedback but the referees are highly trained, they know the rules and they work very hard to enforce them fairly and consistently in difficult, high-pressure situations. Referees do make mistakes as they do in any sport but the performance of officials in the NRL compares more than favourably with any other football code in this country. We believe they generally do a good job in extremely difficult circumstances.

The Bunker plays a crucial part of the game in terms of being able to review incidents that were simply too quick for the referee to make an immediate call on. The game has evolved to the level where it is so fast paced that the referees sometimes need a second opinion. No system is perfect, however the Bunker is performing well in terms of making the correct decision.

The NRL will continue to invest considerable resources in refereeing to ensure that as many correct decisions are made as possible. We will also continue to monitor the feedback from clubs, players and fans to ensure we can continue to improve the standard of officiating in Rugby League.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us and for your support of Manly and Rugby League.

Kind regards

Robert
Supporter Liaison

Semi's got the qualifications for a job in the Bunker.
IMG_5949.jpg

And now Bellyache has come out supporting the refs and the bunker, probably ensures him of some outrageous decisions to win the comp this year!

#blowupthebunker

#blowupbellyache

#boycottthegrandfinal

*bump*

BUNKER PROFIT

TODD Greenberg has hit back at suggestions the NRL bunker is a waste of money. He confirmed it costs more than $2m a year to operate but said once the KFC sponsorship money is included it made a small profit.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d/news-story/6e85f878c467ad9a35d5c4f4456f0a91

A profit..... Maybe Soward was on to something when he accused the nrl of making the refs use the bunker so as to get coverage for kfc!!!!

But they used to go to the video ref before the bunker was around so they would have been receiving sponsorship anyway?
Just another lie by Greenslime to hide his incompetence.
What a waste of money, associating your product with a thing that causes pain for so many people.

Bunker making mistakes?

Lets get rid of.....

the ex players! Horse head does such a wonderful job and the sutton cartel can remain untouched and unaccountable!

Former players including Beau Scott, Bryan Norrie and Ben Galea have been axed from the bunker this week in a bid to ease the confusion following last Saturday’s no-try howler against Roosters forward Lindsay Collins.

From the start of this round on Thursday, when Canterbury play South Sydney, only one person will be making the decisions in the bunker.

“Earlier this year the change from two on-field referees to one has simplified officiating, resulting in a high standard being maintained ( :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: ) so far this season,” Annesley said. “Referees have demonstrated increased confidence to make their own decisions.

“Similarly, by reducing the number of people involved in the review process, we feel bunker officials will also feel more confident in making decisions without consultation, thereby avoiding potential conflicting views or doubt that may on occasions be created by the involvement of a second review official and that way they can have total control over screwing the non favoured nrl clubs with impunity.

Don't know what the answer is to fix the problem is.
This will probably help, something else that may help is if the ref doesn't know let him send it up as I have no idea, check it out for me.

This ref saying its a try when he has no idea if it should be but check everything call and then the bunker saying we think its no try but can't rule 100% it isn't against you is rubbish.
If the ref says I have no idea and the bunker says it looks more likely it wasn't and rules that way fans wouldn't be as upset.

Technology has changed Rugby League for the worse. It's not just the bunker turning the sport into Footy-CSI it's the refs who micro-manage the players and their rulings. How they rule on the minutest of knock-ons and play-the-ball infringements is puke-inducing.
Let the game flow. Make rulings on what your eyes see, not pre-conceived notions.
IF we have to have the bunker -- and no-one in authority has listened to my calls for the past decade to blow it up -- then all rulings should be at true speed, not stop-frame which distorts reality.
Technology has sold us a pup. It has not improved rulings and has not stopped controversy. All it has done is turn a simple game into a jumble of contradictory rules, killed momentum and cost the sport a lot of money.

I would like to know which video ref made that ridiculous call in the rorters game. I wouldn’t have thought it would be the call an ex-player would make, rather someone who has never actually played. If the nrl’s knee-jerk reaction is to punt all the ex-players from the bunker then there really is no hope.

The bunker needs to be able to make calls on all facets of the game. It is folly that they can rule on a knock on but not an obvious forward pass that just infuriates the fans out there.

Surely a simple couple of things will determine what a forward pass is. Are the players hands in a direction that is forward? Or like in soccer get a ruler to rule if the pass is forward. Too many games ruined by forward passes.

The obstrution rule is another lottery at times. it surely has to be about defensive decisions and whether the defender has a genuine chance to stop the try. Also if a player runs behind a player and stops knowing its a shepherd make it an automatic penalty rather than play on as the player just submits and the attacking team retains the ball.

I read where PV wants to use more technology in RL to improve decision-making. Oh no!
In theory technology is supposed to be 100% foolproof. So will we see technology used for the entire 80 minutes of each match, not just for one play leading to a try?
Will it be used for each kick-off to determine if a player is one millimetre over the halfway line instead of behind the kicker? Or back 10 metres in every play-the-ball?
Every aspect of every play has an effect on the outcome of a match. It may not lead to a try but it does have some impact. It's The Butterfly Effect.
If the NRL is foolish enough to believe technology will improve the sport then it will turn RL into the most boring game of all. We can forget about RL lasting 80 minutes, it will be a three-hour marathon only computer nerds would enjoy.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4