The Book of Albert

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Maybe its time for another vote (snicker snicker). I think unless he goes to the Dogs, and that would be literally what happens to him, he will sign with Manly.
Based on his performance levels so far - you would have to pass. He might turn out to be the greatest player ever but so far he has seemed not up to NRL standard. Now maybe he wasn't fit enough but if he wasn't - why not? That in itself shows a lack of application and desire on his behalf. But yep I am not a fan at all.... yet. He has a lot to prove I think but I gather it wont be in the maroon of Manly. Maybe a Hopoate Saab swap?

Last edited:
Based on his performance levels so far - you would have to pass. He might turn out to be the greastest player ever but so far he has seemed not up to NRL standard. Now maybe he wasn't fit enough but if he wasn't - why not? That in itself shows a lack of application and desire on his behalf. But yep I am not a fan at all.... yet. He has a lot to prove I think but I gather it wont be in the maroon of Manly. Maybe a Hopoate Saab swap?

I understand your reservations and sure he didn't set the game alight in his few games but I don't think he played badly, just not a stand out. Schuster looked very impressive in his minutes on the field, and he'll be something special. But Hopa has had two ACLs and little wonder it will take time for his confidence to return. From what I've heard he is viewed as something special by the players at training and does remarkable things. But hopefully if Manly keep him, and I hope they do, he'll gradually show that range of skills, as he develops and gains more experience. I think he's a keeper, but I would never want us to lose someone like Schuster.

Last edited:
He is a local junior and as such I hope he stays here ... but he and his sire need to face the reality of his situation and put the dream of a big contract on the back burner for a year or so and concentrate on getting some solid performances on the paddock in reggies .... take a development contract and prove the doubters wrong ... if he can ... I have my reservations ...

He is a local junior and as such I hope he stays here ... but he and his sire need to face the reality of his situation and put the dream of a big contract on the back burner for a year or so and concentrate on getting some solid performances on the paddock in reggies .... take a development contract and prove the doubters wrong ... if he can ... I have my reservations ...
True , but this is Hoppa ( Snr) we are talking about so the almighty $$$ is all that counts.

His tackling was non-existent. I fear he got away with arm grabbing in the juniors because he was twice as strong as all of them. In 1st grade I didn’t see any technique like bending his knees and making contact with the shoulder. Missed most that he attempted.

I hope this can be fixed, because I would love to see him succeed for manly.

Let the Hopoates go, nothing but trouble. They go to the highest bidder without any loyalty to this club. How many of them have we nurtured only to see leave. If I had any say at the club I wouldn't be putting money or faith towards them, ****-OFF the lot of them. Hoppa senior from memory played one or two games is SOO and Will played a few, that's why IMO they are not worth the dollars.

I understand your reservations and sure he didn't set the game alight in his few games but I don't think he played badly, just not a stand out. Schuster looked very impressive in his minutes on the field, and he'll be something special. But Hopa has had two ACLs and little wonder it will take time for his confidence to return. From what I've heard he is viewed as something special from the players at training and does remarkable things. But hopefully if Manly keep him, and I hope they do, he'll gradually show that range of skills, as he develops and gains more experience. I think he's a keeper, but I would never want us to lose someone like Schuster.
Schuster immediately looked like he belonged - young Hoppa just looked out if his depth - if you are right I hope he stays obviously but big if.

Hopefully we can retain Albert, from what I have seen of his junior career he was a standout.

I get that he has failed in his first few games in the top grade & for most people they evaluate him on that.

He has lots of class and skill, @shoe 1 pointed out his defensive technique not being up to scratch and that’s on the money, Des being k own for his defensive skills should help him there.

A three year deal would be nice for the club.

In fairness young Hoppa has come from a horrific injury, straight into NRL....
I agree he did not play outstanding and his speed was diminished and though will take half a season to fire, seen a few patches of footy where you could see potential.
The lofty standards of expectations, myself included, were a little unrealistic after this injury layoff, but I reckon he will come good within a season and by 2022, be a strong Cotric type finisher....but as for wanting a massive payday, his dad needd to butt out and and appreciate Manly have been very loyal to him and sign a modest contract till he is proven and be rewarded once he has earned it.

He definitely needs more time to develop. Right now, he could be anything from a future immortal to a complete washout. Sure, I'd like to see him stay and develop at Manly, but, as is always the case, it's going to come down to the money. If there's a big difference between what the club thinks he's worth and what he (or his advisors) think he's worth, he'll be playing somewhere else.

Not many juniors left and Albert and Co are a talented lot. How is Kaeo Weekes going this kid has speed to burn....

In Feb 2020, before Covid he was named to play halfback in the Manly SG Ball side .... No idea how he is rated by the club

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4