The Book of Albert

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I don't disagree with you. But it's a lack of respect for the club. Who has developed them and pays them for a living. The amount of ** we had to endure with Hoppa senior and we kept supporting him and his family. Fainu too. It's just bull**. Clearly there's more to the story than we know but not liking either side at the moment. Ego trips. Sack the lot and start again
A lot of angst being directed the coach’s way.

He has inherited a mess based on seven seasons of missteps during his absence that he is trying to resolve, on top of the unusual challenges posed by the 2020 season.

If these islander lads are so unhappy after all the opportunities the club has given them, well ‘there’s the door’.

Last edited:

He has inherited a mess based on seven seasons of missteps during his absence that he is trying to resolve, on top of the unusual challenges posed by the 2020 seasons.

If these islander lads are so unhappy after all the opportunities the club has given them, ‘well there’s the door’.
The coach is responsible for the culture Terry... Gladstone anyone?

Des has a fair whack of goodwill in his favour, that is quickly evaporating.

Obviously, this season was done 4 weeks ago, and I guess he has until round 10 next year to get it right, or he will be moved on.

Geoff Toovey
Paul Green
Kevin Walter's
Laurie Daley
Walker bros... maybe...

...off the top of my head... then there is Super League to look at...

We need a coach willing to make hard decisions... not massage and manage the egos of a weak group because he thinks it will work out like it did before when he had a team of competitors that were willing to go to war for each other... Des has made butt ordinary decisions this year that all seem to be rooted in not upsetting the team structure... a team structure that has continued to lose and have lost many of their games due to poor effort...

I like Toovey... but if Des isn't succeeding at man management, then I'm pretty sure that Toovey won't either.

Paul Green - maybe. But keep in mind that we failed in hiring another premiership winning coach, Maguire, for reasons only known to the club.

Kevin Walters - Last coached a club team 10 years with a 37% win rate, since then he has only coached a rep squad already loaded with talent, pass.

Laurie Daley - No coaching experience at club level, otherwise see above.

Walker brothers - No idea, there has to be some reason they haven't been given a crack despite multiple vacancies since their QCup win in 2015.

Hate to say it, but in the presser after the game, Des looked as lost and clueless as Barrett usually did. A few years back I would have had confidence that Des would be able to turn a situation like this around. Now, I'm not so sure.

Surely a lot of the problem has to do with having so much talent sitting on the sidelines - and not just Tom. The loss of Fainu on the field has been awful, but it may be putting a strain on the playing group off the field as well. Think about how serious the charges he is facing are. And all he, and his mates at the club, can do is sit on their hands and wait.

St George went into a freefall after De Belin was charged and suspended. And the "no-fault" stand-down policy of the NRL just makes everything worse. I don't think it's a coincidence that we're struggling as well.

This comes back on Dez, as Manly supporters we will always support the side, but it's hard to get excited over how the team is being coached and team selections.

Would Ivan Cleary do the same, I think not. Dez continues to pick under performing players, and let's potential stars sit on the side lines. It's bizzare Shuster, Hoppa and Sipley have not had a run this year and Quac keeps getting dropped.

The tackle attempt last night by Jorge left me speechless when he ran in and tried to tackle Parker's opposite (who he had covered) and then watched his opposite winger stroll over the line.

Some of Faniu comments are more to do with supporting his team mates, but seems he is the glue with all the young talent and players like Sipley, AFB, Moses, Quac, Funa etc.

It's crap his trial is so far away as he is a vital link missing in that team, but we need the players to stick together and build for next year

All we hear ATM is players wanting out or annoyed or gun players not getting a go. Doesn't sit well for 2021

Last edited:
Hasler has lost the dressing room big time you can see by the way players in our top 30 liked hopoates post !!!! Players are pissed off he hasn’t given them a chance to play !!! You can see this by the way we defend all individuals !!!

hasler has to go or change his ways but sadly his stubborn
Maybe Des has to change his ways, but an alternative take on it is that maybe some of the younger guys need to harden the F up too. If one or two 18 year olds not getting a run is causing ructions in the squad, then that is only going to give someone like Des a reason to double down on his "not ready for first grade" perspective. Resilience on and off the field seems to be an issue.

Like the majority here, I have no idea where the truth lies and so I have an open mind as to where the issues truly lie. But it is on Des as Head Coach to rectify, that's for sure.

I like Toovey... but if Des isn't succeeding at man management, then I'm pretty sure that Toovey won't either.

Paul Green - maybe. But keep in mind that we failed in hiring another premiership winning coach, Maguire, for reasons only known to the club.

Kevin Walters - Last coached a club team 10 years with a 37% win rate, since then he has only coached a rep squad already loaded with talent, pass.

Laurie Daley - No coaching experience at club level, otherwise see above.

Walker brothers - No idea, there has to be some reason they haven't been given a crack despite multiple vacancies since their QCup win in 2015.
The advantage Walter's and Daley would bring is they have command enough respect to be given a remit to tear down the systems that are in place - they could also be objective as they do not have a connection to the club...
I think Tooves will struggle also due to his love of the place...
Green did it at the cows and that team was a rabble when he got there...
Walkers I am not convinced on but they have a fresh approach and you get 2 (and possibly 3) for the price of 1 which may offer a new level of coordination in terms of skills training and squad development...

Regardless, there ARE options...

Hate to say it, but in the presser after the game, Des looked as lost and clueless as Barrett usually did. A few years back I would have had confidence that Des would be able to turn a situation like this around. Now, I'm not so sure.

Surely a lot of the problem has to do with having so much talent sitting on the sidelines - and not just Tom. The loss of Fainu on the field has been awful, but it may be putting a strain on the playing group off the field as well. Think about how serious the charges he is facing are. And all he, and his mates at the club, can do is sit on their hands and wait.

St George went into a freefall after De Belin was charged and suspended. And the "no-fault" stand-down policy of the NRL just makes everything worse. I don't think it's a coincidence that we're struggling as well.
Penrith struggled last year too with the whole Tyrone May incident. And for our guys, it is the second year in a row that they have had to deal with one of the squad being charged with serious offences.

Penrith struggled last year too with the whole Tyrone May incident. And for our guys, it is the second year in a row that they have had to deal with one of the squad being charged with serious offences.
Yes, and when you also have your best player sitting on side line and have lost 7 out 9 morale takes a hit. All the players would be feeling pretty down at the moment to go with the outside distractions

All this is just noise. A symptom of the real problem. We have a coach who is coaching pre- Covid rugby league who has not identified that speed is new game. Combine that with his total distrust of youth which will never go away and it’s a cluster****.

And all this rubbish about player loyalty. Players get cut as soon as they don’t fit in a clubs plans. It works both ways.
Don’t blame the kids, blame the ****ing leaders of the joint.
That’s what we are lacking and have been for years.

The advantage Walter's and Daley would bring is they have command enough respect to be given a remit to tear down the systems that are in place - they could also be objective as they do not have a connection to the club...
I think Tooves will struggle also due to his love of the place...
Green did it at the cows and that team was a rabble when he got there...
Walkers I am not convinced on but they have a fresh approach and you get 2 (and possibly 3) for the price of 1 which may offer a new level of coordination in terms of skills training and squad development...

Regardless, there ARE options...
And maybe the young walker.

All this is just noise. A symptom of the real problem. We have a coach who is coaching pre- Covid rugby league who has not identified that speed is new game. Combine that with his total distrust of youth which will never go away and it’s a cluster****.

And all this rubbish about player loyalty. Players get cut as soon as they don’t fit in a clubs plans. It works both ways.
I was told ten weeks ago about a rift between senior players and young players caused by the senior players making petty demands on the club and getting big headed. And now it’s playing out.

Don’t blame the kids, blame the ****ing leaders of the joint.
That’s what we are lacking and have been for years.

Your point about senior players is non-specific and I don't know what to make of it, or who it refers to.

DCE, Joel and Marty are 30 or over, with Taufua not far behind... who else qualifies as a senior player?

Honest question, I'm not sure anymore.

He has inherited a mess based on seven seasons of missteps during his absence that he is trying to resolve, on top of the unusual challenges posed by the 2020 season.

If these islander lads are so unhappy after all the opportunities the club has given them, well ‘there’s the door’.
I don’t think people realise how important it is to build a culture.
Manly had it until Des left...then bit by bit it crumbled.
I think he is looking at a long term plan to rebuild the club culture, and won’t let sugar hits get in the way of it. Could be wrong, but there is definitely something going on, and again, is Des starting to rail against the management for the betterment of the clubs long term future.
Watch this space

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8