The Ben Kennedy Effect

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
All Seaeagles supporters know for a fact BK bought an intensity that had been lacking at Manly.
In actual fact the coaching staff feel he was the Biggest factor in the lift that produced a dominant period and record 40 - 0 GF in 2008.
Will also add through from all the coaching staff back in that time, when questioned on the amazing transformation into such a formidable 2008 side, the response was "Ben Kennedy" who had retired 2 years earlier, but left a legacy of commitment that the players all bought into.
Training went to another level and there was no BS accepted.
These are the lofty standards the side needs to replicate again, but I see no leader in the mould of BK at this stage.....hopefully the coaching staff have lifted the dwindling expectations of recent times and the intensity levels can again rise high.....I feel Flanagan is that tough old head that just may add something in this department.

B K was certainly one of a kind and full credit to the Manly recruiting at the time to get him finally in Manly colors , being from the Manly area . Certainly put in for Manly for those 2 seasons and did instill that real sense of discipline and hard edge type footy . Seemed a very pleased spectator after the G F full time in 08 and should always feel well pleased with his previous contribution .

B K was certainly one of a kind and full credit to the Manly recruiting at the time to get him finally in Manly colors , being from the Manly area . Certainly put in for Manly for those 2 seasons and did instill that real sense of discipline and hard edge type footy . Seemed a very pleased spectator after the G F full time in 08 and should always feel well pleased with his previous contribution .
Yep, he was the catalyst for us winning in 08, what a shame he finished 1yr out from a winning GF.

Ben Kennedy was at the end of his career when we came to Manly

Many thought he was passed his peak and perhaps he was

But Passion has no Boundaries and neither did the Passionate Ben Kennedy

Ben brought the Ruthless Winning Attitude and the show no mercy Killer instinct that made Manly
Great again

The Manly Force
Ben Kennedy the Manly Enforcer
1670973785402.jpeg

Since we lost AFB. We've needed a forward leader.
True - so brittle, opposition packs must lick their lips in anticipation just basically steering away from Jake, though they know he makes 1 on 1 shots and win momentum as ref screams "Jake", before they even hit the ground....the others tackle soft bar Keppie with the odd high shot or the Okalatu shoulder on a few occasions and rarely against tougher opposition.

Bring BK into Manly for sone part tine coaching.
What is he doing these days?
I don’t know. But I did find this post from 2013 that maybe is the reason he has never returned.

Volley said:

Former Manly forward Ben Kennedy walks away from NRL club the Sea Eagles over Peter Peters's demise
By Dean Ritchie The Daily Telegraph September 08, 2011 9:52AM

Ben Kennedy, one of Manly's fiercest forwards, has walked away from the Sea Eagles over Peter Peters's demise.

"I love Des Hasler and the boys but Manly has lost me forever. One hundred per cent," Kennedy said.

Peters was made redundant earlier this week, causing enormous anger among Manly players and NRL fans. Most of their venom was directed at those behind the decision - football club and leagues club chairman Bob Reilly and new chief operating officer David Perry.

"I am absolutely heartbroken," Kennedy said. "Zorba has lived, breathed and bled for Manly over 40 years.

What's your opinion of Manly's dumping of Peter Peters? Could it have been handled better? Post a comment below.

"This is an absolute disgrace. Some of these pen-pushers behind this are unsighted. They wear their suits and think they own the joint. They lap it up when you win but aren't anywhere to be seen when times are tough. Do they have any idea about football? Not everything is about money.

"Zorba is always by your side, whether it's to kick you in the arse when you need it or give you a hug when you need it. He is the heart and soul of Manly.

"The fans and sponsors have to stand up here. They must get stuck into the club and these officials and have their say. They have to re-think this decision.

"If you lose Zorba, you lose half of Manly. He has earned the right to walk away from his job when he wants to - not when some pen-pusher tells him to. Perry has been at the club for just three months. The whole world has gone mad.

"I have had the chance to sit next to Zorba on the sidelines watching Manly games and he is like a two-year-old. You should see the passion and excitement."

Great post @maxta and I agree with everything you said. BK was the much-needed start of a new era and was one-of-a-kind. I have fond memories of BK at Brookie, full of passion, leading by example and urging his teammates to follow him.

You're right - we could certainly benefit from a BK now!

Its leadership

BK talked the talk but walked the walk. He was the follow me , on field leader, foz had some of that and was showing plenty in season 2.
and we do lack

tom has itin bucket loads. jake just looks admired
aioli has bits , but his injury run has hampered his consistency
oku has it in there one day i reckon

Croker has something else , calmer, but isnt skilled enough to hold down number 9 long term possibly, but gee i hope he goes up another level next season. He just isnt quick off the mark really but some of that will come with anticipation and confidence in the role and a desire to think run first more often

i suppose with new coaches and philosophies , but same side, we will see a bit of nature v nurture in action , comparing seasons, especially the spine

we lacked a lot of structure and composure but players like frog looked a tad restricted in duties

Since we lost that Beast . No prop replicated his Intimidation and dominance
Not many props run through brick walls for more than a few seasons. They all develop a step, jink or PCM to ensure they are stat worthy props over a career. There are a few exceptions Of course. Steve price was a very effective leader and metre eater

props in better teams also have better field position, momentum which helps them achieve this dominance. AFB when emerging took every defender on personally but when your getting 800k , and that stuff hurts most players find another way, with a shufle, hitting the line of a play the ball Or a step r

JWH is a juggernaught with attitude but the roostes routinely find tearaways and rotate them over, to do the smash em up Stuff. they rotate the sam moas pretty well .

even bk picked fast play the balls and the blind side to get the message accross.

Spud was an extreme contradiction to developing a step , swerve or a jink . Love the spud,

Not many props run through brick walls for more than a few seasons. They all develop a step, jink or PCM to ensure they are stat worthy props over a career. There are a few exceptions Of course. Steve price was a very effective leader and metre eater

props in better teams also have better field position, momentum which helps them achieve this dominance. AFB when emerging took every defender on personally but when your getting 800k , and that stuff hurts most players find another way, with a shufle, hitting the line of a play the ball Or a step r

JWH is a juggernaught with attitude but the roostes routinely find tearaways and rotate them over, to do the smash em up Stuff. they rotate the sam moas pretty well .

even bk picked fast play the balls and the blind side to get the message accross.

Spud was an extreme contradiction to developing a step , swerve or a jink . Love the spud,
AFB was the Big Burger with the works

He could hit hard , run had , get a good ball away and also was very good on his feet as well as this clip shows

Not a bad summary there , Manly probably only have Paseka at present who can regularly or is capable of gaining good meters with in his case a good late step but which gets him through the defensive line a bit . Alioia runs hard usually and a bustling type charge and can be quite useful , go forward wise . Tuitavake and maybe Fifita could be in the same mould as well . A F B was more mobile then a lot of people probably realized but had some exceptional all round strength as well . Maybe has dropped back a bit with the Warriors but was a serious asset for Manly with his role . Actually think that Sipley is capable of doing a bit better in the go forward department with a bit more application .Just not sure with Keppie , has the attributes and maybe can be an effective middle and go forward player again .

Loved how Kennedy could easily chew up metres from a standing start. Almost as if he was challenging the defence mentally before taking a charge.

His ability to offload while falling also resulted in many beautiful long range tries to Brett Stewart.

All Seaeagles supporters know for a fact BK bought an intensity that had been lacking at Manly.
In actual fact the coaching staff feel he was the Biggest factor in the lift that produced a dominant period and record 40 - 0 GF in 2008.
Will also add through from all the coaching staff back in that time, when questioned on the amazing transformation into such a formidable 2008 side, the response was "Ben Kennedy" who had retired 2 years earlier, but left a legacy of commitment that the players all bought into.
Training went to another level and there was no BS accepted.
These are the lofty standards the side needs to replicate again, but I see no leader in the mould of BK at this stage.....hopefully the coaching staff have lifted the dwindling expectations of recent times and the intensity levels can again rise high.....I feel Flanagan is that tough old head that just may add something in this department.
Spot on maxta
I spoke with one of the coaching staff this week who said among other things we were training the house down and looked a committed unit

I asked about what changed and he said
Flanagan

Everyone seems to be talking Keppie up (including himself - but not in a butt head way) so hopefully 23 will be his year. Im confident some of these big fellas have the right stuff in them, it just needs to be tapped. Here's hoping.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4