The 'Ask Lowie' column

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
dceagle link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=184486.msg281796#msg281796 date=1280994118]
[quote author=dceagle link=topic=184486.msg281783#msg281783 date=1280989670]
I'm the Dave from Question 5 .

If that's the best answer to a simple question , well that will do me.

Seriously, not expecting the world , just decent bloody seating.

Lowie , don't be a buck passer mate. It's your job to get stuff like this done, end of story.

In all fairness, if MWSE turned around and paid to put all new seats in there, then the council would want the Sea Eagles to fork out more cash for the ground and so on.

The council has a lot to answer for, for Brookvale oval and in particular the way it expects MWSE to put in all this cash when MWSE are simpler a leaser of the ground.

Imaging if your landlord told you he was going to add another story onto the house you were renting from him, but expected you to pay for the whole, or even some of the cost to have it done, and then turn around and increase the cost of your lease......how would you feel and what would you say?
[/quote]

Fair call Dan , However I am taking aim at Lowie's limp answer not so much the reality of the situation.

At the end of the day it's about looking after the customer, which is what we are.
[/quote]

And they are the customer of Warringah Council.

Seriously some things are outside of his control and his answer was exactly right

dceagle link said:

Lowie , don't be a buck passer mate. It's your job to get stuff like this done, end of story.

In all fairness, if MWSE turned around and paid to put all new seats in there, then the council would want the Sea Eagles to fork out more cash for the ground and so on.

The council has a lot to answer for, for Brookvale oval and in particular the way it expects MWSE to put in all this cash when MWSE are simpler a leaser of the ground.

Imaging if your landlord told you he was going to add another story onto the house you were renting from him, but expected you to pay for the whole, or even some of the cost to have it done, and then turn around and increase the cost of your lease......how would you feel and what would you say?
[/quote]

Fair call Dan , However I am taking aim at Lowie's limp answer not so much the reality of the situation.

At the end of the day it's about looking after the customer, which is what we are.
[/quote]

His answer was spot on, it is not our place to do it, but they would do it if it was up to them. Can't really say much more than that

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
My question was 4... I think. I understand Lowie wants to save cyberspace but my Q has been edited to the point of banality. The question was really about drug testing, as follows:

'\"Hi Lowie,

I have heard that the urine tests used by the NRL cannot detect state-of-the-art illegal steroids, so what is Manly's attitude to blood testing players?

Of course there are player privacy rights involved here, but there are also player health issues if they take dangerous substances to \"keep up with the Joneses\". There is also the potential for cheating scandals every bit as damaging as the Storm's cap rorting.

So my questions . ..

Is our club alert to the risk of players being tempted/pressured into using illegal performance enhancing substances?

And is our club serious about the long term health of our players?

I guess he could have just answered \"yes!\"
My 5 Q's from last week remain unanswered.

My Q next week will be, \"Lowie, do you read all the Q's or does someone else present you with a selection?\"

Good to have the full story on that question, because I was wondering why the hell it was asked lol. That line on it's own sounds ridiculous, of course they would care about the health of the players

Didn't realise the demise of Grant Goldman was such a pressing issue for some fans. He quit / got sacked.........who cares.

Must admit that the standard of questions and answers is a bit disappointing, but then again I didn't really expect that there would be any massive revelations in a public forum. Seems a pointless exercise if they are just going to edit questions like SER8's to the point of ridiculousness.  

I'm with you C&C, the game I got too this year, I didn't notice the ground announcer at all, and I can't recall every noticing when it was Goldman tbh

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I'm with you C&C, the game I got too this year, I didn't notice the ground announcer at all, and I can't recall every noticing when it was Goldman tbh

Look, he had been there 30 years. To most of us long-time Brookie tragics his calls on Tooves, Cliffy, Beeav-er, Wombat etc were just part of the experience of being there. Forgive us our nostalgia :)

Reading the first lot of replies posted up here - I don't understand why he'd answer 'serious' questions like the Grant Goldman one but not actually answer them - sounded like weasel answers a bit.

Better off just picking Dorothy Dix's and expanding on those with interesting information. Either that or really answer the difficult questions.

Just my view.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Read below to see if Lowie answered your question!

1. Why was a much loved contributor to the Club in Grant Goldman told he was no longer needed for the 2010 season?
Paul

It’s not that Grant hadn’t done a wonderful job. We were given an indication on what to do and we decided to make a change to the position.

2. We watched the game last night between the Knights and the Sea Eagles and wonder if you are playing for better odds in the finals series?
Phil, NT

Every time we take to the field, we go out there to win, although I agree, we didn’t look like we wanted to on Monday night. That said, we would never field teams that we thought would jeopardise our chance in the finals or throw away games.

3. If Ben Farrar is ruled out will William Hoppa be considered?
Michael

All decisions on who plays come back to Des and the football department, and they decide what the best team is to take to the field.

4. Is our Club serious about the long term health of our players?
Lachlan

I think this goes without saying that of course we care about their health and do everything possible to keep them fit and healthy.

5. What are the chances of getting dedicated seating all the way around the ground, instead of those dilapidated benches?
Dave

That’s something that is up to Warringah Council to fix. If it was up to us, they’d be fixed tomorrow!

6. How is the recruitment coming along for our future stars?
Paul

Noel ‘Crusher’ Cleal has a strategic long term plan in place and that is his area of expertise that he works very hard in along with our football department.

He must have gone to the krudd/dullard/keneally school of spin!!!

Chip & Chase link said:
Didn't realise the demise of Grant Goldman was such a pressing issue for some fans. He quit / got sacked.........who cares.

Must admit that the standard of questions and answers is a bit disappointing, but then again I didn't really expect that there would be any massive revelations in a public forum. Seems a pointless exercise if they are just going to edit questions like SER8's to the point of ridiculousness.  

How can you say the quality of the questions is disappointing when only a selections of the questions are printed? My two haven't been answered, and I image many many more good questions have also been put aside.

Also, Grant was an important part of the Brookie experience. It was a relevant question, but what angered me was the way in which it was 'answered', hence the thread.

Dan link said:
[quote author=dceagle link=topic=184486.msg281802#msg281802 date=1280999914]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Seriously some things are outside of his control and his answer was exactly right
[/quote]

Dan is 100% right, dont have a go at Lowe here, get in the ears of the council, turn up to a meeting having requested the chance to speaek prior through letter to the GM.

Upgrading Brookie is the one thing im confident the current administration is doing a lot behind the scenes for and any extra noise from the locals can only help add the pressure.

Fluffy link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=184486.msg281809#msg281809 date=1281004042]
[quote author=dceagle link=topic=184486.msg281802#msg281802 date=1280999914]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dan is 100% right, dont have a go at Lowe here, get in the ears of the council, turn up to a meeting having requested the chance to speaek prior through letter to the GM.

Upgrading Brookie is the one thing im confident the current administration is doing a lot behind the scenes for and any extra noise from the locals can only help add the pressure.

[/quote]

Ok fellas calm down , I only asked a simple question . Dissapointed that he rightly passed it over to Warringah Council so effortlessly. I fully understand who the landlord is etc, I was merely trying to find out that  If or when the  redevelopments continue, where in the line of importance removing the benches is .

I'm a tragic of over 35 years , and Brookie is running deep in my veins . I Just want what's best for the old girl , and the faithful brood like me that love sitting around the fence line .

SeaEagleRock8 said:
My question was 4... I think. I understand Lowie wants to save cyberspace but my Q has been edited to the point of banality. The question was really about drug testing, as follows:

'"Hi Lowie,

I have heard that the urine tests used by the NRL cannot detect state-of-the-art illegal steroids, so what is Manly's attitude to blood testing players?

Of course there are player privacy rights involved here, but there are also player health issues if they take dangerous substances to "keep up with the Joneses". There is also the potential for cheating scandals every bit as damaging as the Storm's cap rorting.

So my questions . ..

Is our club alert to the risk of players being tempted/pressured into using illegal performance enhancing substances?

And is our club serious about the long term health of our players?

. . .
Lowe answered (only) with this:

"I think this goes without saying that of course we care about their health and do everything possible to keep them fit and healthy."

The Essendon story has been brewing for some time. Pro sport, careers depending on getting an edge … talk about an elephant in the room. Around the time of the drug prosecutions of Wicks, Houston & co there were certain whispers about to the effect the real story in the evidence was what was revealed about PED use in the NRL.

That's what prompted me to 'ask Lowie' that question. We'll all be reassured now by his answer…

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4