The 'Ask Lowie' column

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I submitted a couple of questions some time ago which have yet to be answered. But I was staggered by this limp response to the very first question in his column:

1. Why was a much loved contributor to the Club in Grant Goldman told he was no longer needed for the 2010 season?
Paul

It’s not that Grant hadn’t done a wonderful job. We were given an indication on what to do and we decided to make a change to the position.

Is anyone else infuriated by this answer and the weasle-words such as 'indication'? I've subsequently sent a follow-up question to Lowie asking for clarification on whether the club was reviewing its dumb decision.

Barry Hyland link said:
I submitted a couple of questions some time ago which have yet to be answered. But I was staggered by this limp response to the very first question in his column:

1. Why was a much loved contributor to the Club in Grant Goldman told he was no longer needed for the 2010 season?
Paul

It’s not that Grant hadn’t done a wonderful job. We were given an indication on what to do and we decided to make a change to the position.

Is anyone else infuriated by this answer and the weasle-words such as 'indication'? I've subsequently sent a follow-up question to Lowie asking for clarification on whether the club was reviewing its dumb decision.

Seems fair mate. It's not like he could spill dirt (if there was any).

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Barry Hyland link=topic=184486.msg281707#msg281707 date=1280976556]

Paul

Seems fair mate. It's not like he could spill dirt (if there was any).
[/quote]

I'm surprised Ryan that you think his 'explanation' is fair. What exactly is an 'indication'? He means, "someone told us to sack him and so we did..."
Who and Why? Is that person still employed? If so, is anybody listening to any more of his other 'indications'?
When will the club realise their error and crawl back to Grant?
That's what I want to know.
If Lowie is going to answer the questions with Polly-waffle then there is no point in having his column.

Barry

I don't have any inside knowledge on the GG affair, but my understanding is he resigned....and then some time later wanted his job back...at which point the Sea Eagles had moved on.

I know the fans were dissapointed (who will ever forget BEEEEAAAAAVVVVVEEEEERRRR) but maybe it's time to move on in relation to this issue and saying anything more than that may well have just created a ****storm.

Where can you find the "ask lowie" column? Can anyone post the first Q & A's please?

Read below to see if Lowie answered your question!

Paul

2. We watched the game last night between the Knights and the Sea Eagles and wonder if you are playing for better odds in the finals series?
Phil, NT

Every time we take to the field, we go out there to win, although I agree, we didn’t look like we wanted to on Monday night. That said, we would never field teams that we thought would jeopardise our chance in the finals or throw away games.

3. If Ben Farrar is ruled out will William Hoppa be considered?
Michael

All decisions on who plays come back to Des and the football department, and they decide what the best team is to take to the field.

4. Is our Club serious about the long term health of our players?
Lachlan

I think this goes without saying that of course we care about their health and do everything possible to keep them fit and healthy.

5. What are the chances of getting dedicated seating all the way around the ground, instead of those dilapidated benches?
Dave

That’s something that is up to Warringah Council to fix. If it was up to us, they’d be fixed tomorrow!

6. How is the recruitment coming along for our future stars?
Paul

Noel ‘Crusher’ Cleal has a strategic long term plan in place and that is his area of expertise that he works very hard in along with our football department.

So Lowe answrs the questions by flicking them to someone else who in turn says nothing as it is an 'Ask Lowey' column. I can already see it is a complete waste of time and lip service from the club. No question was really answered. i certainly wouldn't waste my time with this PR excercise.

Thanks guys, the first lot of answers i thought were pretty good. The second week is what we have come to expect.

Don't be disheartened though, keep shooting through questions and eventually you will get what you want.

Thanks Mark for your explanation. It was clear and understandable. I don;t know why Lowie couldn't have said it in such straightforward terms.

I submitted two very simple questions to Lowie nine days ago and I'm still waiting. I'm in favour of the column, provided that it is not just PR spin, which, incidentally, is the profession I'm in so I can see through it better than most.
Cheers,

Surely they can't be the pick of the questions sent in ? I haven't come up with any I deemed worthy of sending in but thought we would see better questions than a couple asked above

I think they were deluged KE, and I think we'll see some more answered today, last week they came out late Thursday so have a look later on and see if any more have been answered

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Read below to see if Lowie answered your question!

Paul

2. We watched the game last night between the Knights and the Sea Eagles and wonder if you are playing for better odds in the finals series?
Phil, NT

Every time we take to the field, we go out there to win, although I agree, we didn’t look like we wanted to on Monday night. That said, we would never field teams that we thought would jeopardise our chance in the finals or throw away games.

3. If Ben Farrar is ruled out will William Hoppa be considered?
Michael

All decisions on who plays come back to Des and the football department, and they decide what the best team is to take to the field.

4. Is our Club serious about the long term health of our players?
Lachlan

I think this goes without saying that of course we care about their health and do everything possible to keep them fit and healthy.

5. What are the chances of getting dedicated seating all the way around the ground, instead of those dilapidated benches?
Dave

That’s something that is up to Warringah Council to fix. If it was up to us, they’d be fixed tomorrow!

6. How is the recruitment coming along for our future stars?
Paul

Noel ‘Crusher’ Cleal has a strategic long term plan in place and that is his area of expertise that he works very hard in along with our football department.

The guy could run for the 2010 election with responses like that!

Did anybody learn anything by reading the above?

I'm the Dave from Question 5 .

If that's the best answer to a simple question , well that will do me.

Seriously, not expecting the world , just decent bloody seating.

Lowie , don't be a buck passer mate. It's your job to get stuff like this done, end of story.

In regards to his answer to GG's sacking... That is a clear indication to me that the club was told by the "broadcasters" to flick him .

Just imagine.... " Get rid of Goldman and you can play all your games on a Saturday or Monday night " !!!!

Just another reason to be pi**ed off so far this year  .

dceagle link said:

Lowie , don't be a buck passer mate. It's your job to get stuff like this done, end of story.

In all fairness, if MWSE turned around and paid to put all new seats in there, then the council would want the Sea Eagles to fork out more cash for the ground and so on.

The council has a lot to answer for, for Brookvale oval and in particular the way it expects MWSE to put in all this cash when MWSE are simpler a leaser of the ground.

Imaging if your landlord told you he was going to add another story onto the house you were renting from him, but expected you to pay for the whole, or even some of the cost to have it done, and then turn around and increase the cost of your lease......how would you feel and what would you say?

My question was 4... I think. I understand Lowie wants to save cyberspace but my Q has been edited to the point of banality. The question was really about drug testing, as follows:

'"Hi Lowie,

I have heard that the urine tests used by the NRL cannot detect state-of-the-art illegal steroids, so what is Manly's attitude to blood testing players?

Of course there are player privacy rights involved here, but there are also player health issues if they take dangerous substances to "keep up with the Joneses". There is also the potential for cheating scandals every bit as damaging as the Storm's cap rorting.

So my questions . ..

Is our club alert to the risk of players being tempted/pressured into using illegal performance enhancing substances?

And is our club serious about the long term health of our players?

I guess he could have just answered "yes!"
My 5 Q's from last week remain unanswered.

My Q next week will be, "Lowie, do you read all the Q's or does someone else present you with a selection?"

Dan link said:
[quote author=dceagle link=topic=184486.msg281783#msg281783 date=1280989670]

In all fairness, if MWSE turned around and paid to put all new seats in there, then the council would want the Sea Eagles to fork out more cash for the ground and so on.

The council has a lot to answer for, for Brookvale oval and in particular the way it expects MWSE to put in all this cash when MWSE are simpler a leaser of the ground.

Imaging if your landlord told you he was going to add another story onto the house you were renting from him, but expected you to pay for the whole, or even some of the cost to have it done, and then turn around and increase the cost of your lease......how would you feel and what would you say?
[/quote]

Fair call Dan , However I am taking aim at Lowie's limp answer not so much the reality of the situation.

At the end of the day it's about looking after the customer, which is what we are.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2