The absolute honest truth about yesterday... who stays and goes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lillchip

Reserve Grader
YESTERDAY:

1. Walker - Is not a fullback, will never be a fullback, and not surprisingly could not have looked more uncomfortable, summed up sadly by the awfully spilt bomb into touch in the second half. 105 metres just doesn't cut it. If he is selected there again we might as well go and wait at the spoon ceremony now.

2. Saab - Is not quite a first grader at this point, but we desperately need his height and speed.

3. Parker - 3 missed tackles, and all of them damaging, with nothing in attack to offset it. Would honestly not make first grade at any other club. Has to be dropped.

4. Suli - Did little, but nothing alarming.

5. Garrick - Where to start? Completely out of his depth yesterday. Stats list 1 missed tackle but it felt like more. Not jumping at all for that first try just handed it to Tedesco. Must be dropped.

6. Foran - Sure has a nice pass at the line, but missed an alarming 5 tackles on that paper thin left edge. Must be the bench half/hooker next week for 2 x 15 min spells to protect his body.

7. DCE - The alarmingly disinterested DCE turned up. 3 errors, 7 missed tackles, and worse than all of that just 6 runs for 46 metres. Note that Cleary made 17 runs for 140 metres last night. Awful. Let's hope it's just a one off.

8. Aloiai - Worked hard in a badly beaten team.

9. Croker - Try as he does unfortunately nowhere near a first grade hooker. 5 missed tackles and just 1 run from dummy half in the modern 6 again game is a disaster. Cust has to come in. Or anyone else.

10. Taupau - Never shirks the work, but seems below the impact of former years. Onto next week.

11. Gosiewski - Only played 45 mins, effectively half a game, but 3 runs for 31 metres and 4 missed tackles is very worrying. Davey must come in.

12. Sironen - 80 mins, 36 tackles, 1 missed. No complaints.

13. Jake Trbojevic - 80 mins, 43 tackles, 15 runs, 125 metres. Scary to think what Roosters could have scored without him.

14. Funa - 6 mins. Why was he selected? Completely gives up a vital interchange spot. Must be fullback or winger or left out.

15. Davey - 5 tackle breaks in 35 mins. Must start.

16. Boyle - Just not a first grader. 3 missed tackles (and 4 ineffective). Offers nothing in attack. Must be dropped.

17. Paseka - No problem. Hopefully can do more damage as the weeks unfold.

NEXT WEEK:

Backs.

Walker to centre, Funa in
Garrick out, Tuipoluto in
Parker out, (for Walker)
Foran to 14, Schuster in (and for the rest of the season)
DCE, rocket from Des, followed by an apology at training!

Forwards.
Croker out, Cust in
Gosiewski to bench, Davey starts
Boyle out, Keppie or Sipley on bench

Sure this new team will have a lot to learn, but if we go with the round 1 team against Souths it could well be 60 points.

In summary, this is not intended to be a personal attack on anyone, I love my club and always will, it is simply an honest critique and analysis of what unfolded yesterday, and who must stay/ go if we are to avoid the bottom of the table.

Welcome any comments/thoughts/disagreements.

YESTERDAY:

1. Walker - Is not a fullback, will never be a fullback, and not surprisingly could not have looked more uncomfortable, summed up sadly by the awfully spilt bomb into touch in the second half. 105 metres just doesn't cut it. If he is selected there again we might as well go and wait at the spoon ceremony now.

2. Saab - Is not quite a first grader at this point, but we desperately need his height and speed.

3. Parker - 3 missed tackles, and all of them damaging, with nothing in attack to offset it. Would honestly not make first grade at any other club. Has to be dropped.

5. Garrick - Where to start? Completely out of his depth yesterday. Stats list 1 missed tackle but it felt like more. Not jumping at all for that first try just handed it to Tedesco. Must be dropped.

6. Foran - Sure has a nice pass at the line, but missed an alarming 5 tackles on that paper thin left edge. Must be the bench half/hooker next week for 2 x 15 min spells to protect his body.

7. DCE - The alarmingly disinterested DCE turned up. 3 errors, 7 missed tackles, and worse than all of that just 6 runs for 46 metres. Note that Cleary made 17 runs for 140 metres last night. Awful. Let's hope it's just a one off.

9. Croker - Try as he does unfortunately nowhere near a first grade hooker. 5 missed tackles and just 1 run from dummy half in the modern 6 again game is a disaster. Cust has to come in. Or anyone else.

10. Taupau - Never shirks the work, but seems below the impact of former years. Onto next week.

11. Gosiewski - Only played 45 mins, effectively half a game, but 3 runs for 31 metres and 4 missed tackles is very worrying. Davey must come in.

13. Jake Trbojevic - 80 mins, 43 tackles, 15 runs, 125 metres. Scary to think what Roosters could have scored without him.

14. Funa - 6 mins. Why was he selected? Completely gives up a vital interchange spot. Must be fullback or winger or left out.

16. Boyle - Just not a first grader. 3 missed tackles (and 4 ineffective). Offers nothing in attack. Must be dropped.

NEXT WEEK:

Backs.

Parker out, (for Walker)

Forwards.
Croker out, Cust in

Sure this new team will have a lot to learn, but if we go with the round 1 team against Souths it could well be 60 points.

In summary, this is not intended to be a personal attack on anyone, I love my club and always will, it is simply an honest critique and analysis of what unfolded yesterday, and who must stay/ go if we are to avoid the bottom of the table.

I like it and agree with basically everything, but I would bring in guoc for sironen or jetski and maybe an actual hooker (birt) onto the bench

YESTERDAY:

NEXT WEEK:

Backs.

Parker out, (for Walker)

Forwards.
Croker out, Cust in

Two players - Sipley and Olekau'atu, have always played well in their limited opportunities. I would bring both of them in. Also Keppie - he can tackle. Boyle, Gozieski and Sironen don't deserve their spots on form. Cust of course must replace Croker.

agree with everything perfect analysis - one more key point: Des in the press conference has that same boring confused secretive blockheaded approach to the testing questions - the same stubbornness he brings to the team selection, his apparent blindness to the weaknesses of say Garrick for example and his inability to make serious team and tactical changes - I may be alone in this but I also don't think his old school footy brain is wired to adapt to change and the rules changes / speeding up of play are exposing this in a big way - I don't want to hear his stock answers 'we weren't good enough' - that
is the understatement of 2021 so far

the game is all about attack now. bring in schuster, guocomole, cust or nimble quick athletes from lower grades. Its a boring game now. how the game evolved into a game of touch footie. OMG. no more tafua, Its a young mans game now

YESTERDAY:

NEXT WEEK:

Backs.

Parker out, (for Walker)

Forwards.
Croker out, Cust in

Yeah, I only disagree on Saab and Walker (and Jake to an extent). Walker had some good positioning and we used him in an untraditional role in attack so I think it’s hard to judge him that harshly. As for Saab I think he had much more diamonds than rocks and was playing opposite some top class backs, defusing most situations pretty calmly. Both had a slip up or two but showed some good things, Saab especially, at least for mine. Jake deserves a little more heat for another slow performance. Ill-disciplined and sloppy service at times. Defence as always pretty good but he can be a bit of a target in later stages of matches around the ruck. He still had some good solid runs but he’s not a threat with the ball like a 900K forward should be.

Most top-line locks can hold the middle in defence as well as he does so for mine that isn’t enough alone (even though Jake’s a workhorse). I was very, very disappointed in him yesterday, for mine he needs bench stints to stay effective (his runs are too plodder-esque when tired)

Last edited by a moderator:
Walker played like a second 5/8 yesterday, and it wasn't that great of a tactic. Pretty ineffectual really. I suspect all our preseason attack drills involved sweep plays and second man plays with Turbo chiming in out wider. So to pick Walker at fullback and throw all that drill work out the window at the last minute seems strange to me. No wonder we struggled to score points.

I keep waiting for Siro to find some form and to do something on that edge. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt from yesterday because DCE was so poor, but losing patience with our lack of penetration on that side and our inability to get Suli into the game.

Sorry but Garrick, Jackson, Crocker, Sirro and JetSki don’t make it into my side next week. Plus DCE is to follow a game plan and stop the low percentages games or he is dropped. Des looks like he is incapable of the change required.

We don't have any decent players to fill the spots though, as proven over recent years. We are on the cusp of our first spoon, be lucky to win 3 games this year!

Sorry but Garrick, Jackson, Crocker, Sirro and JetSki don’t make it into my side next week. Plus DCE is to follow a game plan and stop the low percentages games or he is dropped. Des looks like he is incapable of the change required.
Not being a smart arse.....but who is Jackson?....

Croker is not a first grade player. Garrick needs a long stint in reggies to get some confidence back before he should be considered.

The rest of the team need to sort it out.

YESTERDAY:

NEXT WEEK:

Backs.

Parker out, (for Walker)

Forwards.
Croker out, Cust in

Shake the tree at the top and the rotten fruit will fall and put some fear into the passengers who remain. The average players are definitely average no doubt and some can be changed out.

The real issue is the senior players they need a massive shake up and I would start with benching Marty, DCE and Jake for the coin to drop amongst the squad, perform at your best and deliver some results.

The political correctness and bulls dust responses in post game and pre game interviews are not fooling the supporters, attitude and effort is missing.

Two players - Sipley and Olekau'atu, have always played well in their limited opportunities. I would bring both of them in. Also Keppie - he can tackle. Boyle, Gozieski and Sironen don't deserve their spots on form. Cust of course must replace Croker.
Sipley & Saddler scored a brace of tries each today yet can’t get a gig in 1st grade.....Koula (FB in SG Ball) scored 3 last week with pure speed & can’t get a look in... what a joke.

Realistic team for next week from me, for various reasons:

01. Morgan Harper
02. Jason Saab
03. Moses Suli
04. Dylan Walker
05. Reuben Garrick
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Marty Taupau
09. Cade Cust
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Andrew Davey
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Josh Schuster
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Sean Keppie
17. Jack Gosiewski

+ Full strength:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Moses Suli
04. Dylan Walker
05. Morgan Harper
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Marty Taupau
09. Manase Fainu
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Andrew Davey
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Karl Lawton
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Sean Keppie
17. Josh Schuster

Realistic team for next week from me, for various reasons:

01. Morgan Harper
02. Jason Saab
03. Moses Suli
04. Dylan Walker
05. Reuben Garrick
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Marty Taupau
09. Cade Cust
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Andrew Davey
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Josh Schuster
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Sean Keppie
17. Jack Gosiewski

+ Full strength:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Moses Suli
04. Dylan Walker
05. Morgan Harper
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Marty Taupau
09. Manase Fainu
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Andrew Davey
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Karl Lawton
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Sean Keppie
17. Josh Schuster
Nice mate.....except Funa for Garrick. DCE can kick or Walkz at a pinch if needed.

Changes are coming for this weekend. Des was out at Blacktown today and threw Funa in for a run. He also pulled Keppie from the line up today and just had him train instead. There’s 2 I think that will come in. Not sure where and who for yet tho. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8