THE A-LEAGUE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wolfpack said:
eagles2win said:
Mariners strike player Amini to Turkey.
Roar starting to break up with Barbarouses trialling with a Russian club.

Kosta is already sold, going to some Ossetian team in the Russian second tier comp. Have fun in a war zone, bro.

Hadn't heard about Amini, thought the sale of him to Dortmund was complete & he was playing for CCM this year on loan.

That's what I meant

Yeah mate, rumours going around that Emerton, Dave Carney & Nathan Burns all linked to SFC. Burnsy seems like he's staying in Greece but Emmo & Super Dave are definate chances to sign for Sydney from what I've been hearing.

Carney is looking for a championship club but isn't having much luck so may sign with Sydney if he doesn't get anything decent in the next week.

The rumour I had heard for Emmo was that he will be coming back next year, but under the cap - not as marquee. His wife is apparently unhappy living in Lancarshire though & they both want to move back to Sydney, so he may seek a release from Blackpool.

It's all looking great but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Carle, Emmo, Super Dave & Kisel would have to be the best midfield in the A-League!

Also, Lol @ the tards for signing Kewell to a 3yr deal. He'll be lucky to get through one of those season. The wanker is crocked.

Well holy crap, looks like we got Emmo for next year!

After all that business with Kewell dragging on for so long & creating so much of a fuss, we go out & sign a better player a few days after the Kewell signing is announced. Sucked in melbourne.

FTT!

This loss was a while coming, we've been scraping by & it's made us look better than we are.

Lavicka really needs to get the axe, we've got a decent team but it just isn't playing up to it's ability. It's amazing that our midfield is so disfunctional despite having players like Carle & Emerton in the team (Though Emmo has been well below expectations).

It's disapointing, but at least we have most of our players signed up to multi-year deals so the new coach coming in wont have to rebuild a new squad. I'm hoping that we can keep both Jamo & Cole but it seems unlikely given the ridiculous multi-year deal that Lavicka gave Jamie "The worst player in the history of the A-League" Coyne.

Good news for SFC, Lowy is finally out (& Ramsay as well) at the top.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/lowy-sells-out-of-sydney-fc-20120504-1y3nt.html

Lowy sells out of Sydney FC
May 4, 2012 - 3:20PM

Frank Lowy and Paul Ramsay are withdrawing their backing of Sydney FC, leaving the club in the hands of Russian billionaire David Traktovenko, who will now own more than 90 per cent of the under-performing Sky Blues.

The trigger for the shift in power between the three billionaires came last week, when Ramsay decided to cut his losses - believed to be more than $5million in the past three seasons - and return his 37 per cent shareholding.

Lowy, like Traktovenko, is a foundation shareholder in the club, but sold down his holding to 15 per cent three years ago - partly because of conflict of interest issues surrounding his other role as Football Federation Australia chairman.

Under the terms of that agreement, Lowy was to be given first option to buy back the shares if either Ramsay or Traktovenko opted to leave. When Ramsay made his intentions clear, it's believed Lowy then made a bid to buy back both Ramsay's and Traktovenko's shareholdings, but the Russian has refused to sell. Instead Lowy is now set to follow Ramsay out of the club, almost certainly prompting at least one minor investor, fellow FFA board member Phil Wolanski, to follow him.

Once the deal is completed, Traktovenko's stake will climb from 37 per cent to more than 90 per cent - effectively making Sydney FC the second foreign-owned club in the A-League after Brisbane Roar. Traktovenko is a former owner of recently-crowned Russian champions Zenit St Petersburg, and is likely to start building closer ties between the two clubs now that he has full control.

Co-incidentally, Central Coast Mariners could also be on the verge of selling to Russian interests, with Spartak Moscow owner Leonid Fedun having already agreed in principle to take over the club.

Very good news for the club IMO, Traktovenko knows what he is doing (as seen with Zenit) & now with him holding the vast majority the club can start moving in the right direction without different egos all trying to get their own ways.

Interestingly rumour is that Traktovenko was the one pushing for another foreign coach to replace Lavicka (who he also brought to the club). If true (& f**k I hope it is) that means that Graham Arnold has just shot himself in the foot with his contract demands. Can't see Traktovenko giving up that much money to a gronk of a coach in Arnold when he can get someone better for the same price from Europe.

Good to see the Newcastle Jets are back in the A-League & that there is talk of a free to air deal for the A-League & Socceroos.

The new A-League franchise from Western Sydney have been holding Fan Forums in the Hills region, Penrith, Parramatta, Blacktown, Bankstown so the football community of Western Sydney can have a say on the identity, culture, name, colours, logo, home ground, playing style etc.
What the community want:
Name: West Sydney Wanderers FC
Colours: Red & Black with all White for away kit.
Home Ground: Parramatta Stadium.

Wolfpack said:
Good news for SFC, Lowy is finally out (& Ramsay as well) at the top.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/lowy-sells-out-of-sydney-fc-20120504-1y3nt.html

Lowy sells out of Sydney FC
May 4, 2012 - 3:20PM

Frank Lowy and Paul Ramsay are withdrawing their backing of Sydney FC, leaving the club in the hands of Russian billionaire David Traktovenko, who will now own more than 90 per cent of the under-performing Sky Blues.

The trigger for the shift in power between the three billionaires came last week, when Ramsay decided to cut his losses - believed to be more than $5million in the past three seasons - and return his 37 per cent shareholding.

Lowy, like Traktovenko, is a foundation shareholder in the club, but sold down his holding to 15 per cent three years ago - partly because of conflict of interest issues surrounding his other role as Football Federation Australia chairman.

Under the terms of that agreement, Lowy was to be given first option to buy back the shares if either Ramsay or Traktovenko opted to leave. When Ramsay made his intentions clear, it's believed Lowy then made a bid to buy back both Ramsay's and Traktovenko's shareholdings, but the Russian has refused to sell. Instead Lowy is now set to follow Ramsay out of the club, almost certainly prompting at least one minor investor, fellow FFA board member Phil Wolanski, to follow him.

Once the deal is completed, Traktovenko's stake will climb from 37 per cent to more than 90 per cent - effectively making Sydney FC the second foreign-owned club in the A-League after Brisbane Roar. Traktovenko is a former owner of recently-crowned Russian champions Zenit St Petersburg, and is likely to start building closer ties between the two clubs now that he has full control.

Co-incidentally, Central Coast Mariners could also be on the verge of selling to Russian interests, with Spartak Moscow owner Leonid Fedun having already agreed in principle to take over the club.

Very good news for the club IMO, Traktovenko knows what he is doing (as seen with Zenit) & now with him holding the vast majority the club can start moving in the right direction without different egos all trying to get their own ways.

Interestingly rumour is that Traktovenko was the one pushing for another foreign coach to replace Lavicka (who he also brought to the club). If true (& f**k I hope it is) that means that Graham Arnold has just shot himself in the foot with his contract demands. Can't see Traktovenko giving up that much money to a gronk of a coach in Arnold when he can get someone better for the same price from Europe.

Fc are like the roosters of the a league always changing coaches and buying players for limited success unlike the mighty roar back 2 back :)

Pft, the Roar are only successful because they lucked out & got the best buy in the history of the A-League in Thomas Broich. The bloke is Bundesliga quality but was burnt out & wanted a lifestyle change, he's not even on a marquee salary, crazy good luck. In saying that, full respect for the Roar, despite the controversial nature of their two GF wins. Good to see someone else climbing up to join SFC & the Tards at the top of the totem pole.

Basically one of the reasons why the above article is so promising for SFC is that the element of the board that kept constantly recycling coaches is more or less out of the picture (We should've just stuck with Litti in the first place farken).

As for the westies, f**k em. F those bandwagon paul kents to hell. They've had a team in their city for 7 f'n seasons but now they're all A-league followers because a team pops up right next to them? Get bollocked you westie scum. Can't wait to run all over those FFA funded basket cases next year.

Wolfpack said:
Pft, the Roar are only successful because they lucked out & got the best buy in the history of the A-League in Thomas Broich. The bloke is Bundesliga quality but was burnt out & wanted a lifestyle change, he's not even on a marquee salary, crazy good luck. In saying that, full respect for the Roar, despite the controversial nature of their two GF wins. Good to see someone else climbing up to join SFC & the Tards at the top of the totem pole.

Basically one of the reasons why the above article is so promising for SFC is that the element of the board that kept constantly recycling coaches is more or less out of the picture (We should've just stuck with Litti in the first place farken).

As for the westies, f**k em. F those bandwagon paul kents to hell. They've had a team in their city for 7 f'n seasons but now they're all A-league followers because a team pops up right next to them? Get bollocked you westie scum. Can't wait to run all over those FFA funded basket cases next year.
Thomas Broich & Besart Berisha were both low profile & unknown footballers to Australia before they arrived from playing in the German League. They are now both part of Australian Football history. There is no luck but good recruitment by the Roar. There are so many more players with similar ability in Europe & elsewhere.

Great to see a new rivalry building already in the Sydney A-League derby. I love watching the Victory v Heart derby in Melbourne & this could be just as good or better. The Blue part of Sydney & the Red part of Sydney.

Aetna said:
Wolfpack said:

Thomas Broich & Besart Berisha were both low profile & unknown footballers to Australia before they arrived from playing in the German League. They are now both part of Australian Football history. There is no luck but good recruitment by the Roar. There are so many more players with similar ability in Europe & elsewhere.

Great to see a new rivalry building already in the Sydney A-League derby. I love watching the Victory v Heart derby in Melbourne & this could be just as good or better. The Blue part of Sydney & the Red part of Sydney.

Berisha was a journeyman & has been a great success in the A-League due to his workrate & willingness to play hard in Ange's system. As much as I hate the bloke he has done well, all the more power to him.

Broich however was luck, he is anything but an unknown. The guy was well thought of as a young player but just never made the step up from good to great. He had a fairly respectable career in the Bundesliga but was burnt out & wanted a change of lifestyle. The Roar lucked out massively in getting him on the salary he is on (Remember that when Broich signed for BRFC that they were FFA owned, so no marquee wage for him), he was also originally going to Radelaide if memory serves. The bloke is the best player in the A-League, the Roar are blessed to have got him.

Don't take this as a slight against the Roar, it's anything but. However, landing Broich was like winning the lottery whereas guys like Berisha are the result of great scouting. Though in saying that, the Roar's other foreign signing (Adnan & Nakajima-Farran) have been fairly poor, so there is some luck in the draw.

Also, very glad to hear that Graham Arnold will not be signing with Sydney FC. Hope that the goings stay good & we move quickly on Plan B.

Sydney FC need to start buying foreign players which can offer something that is lacking in the team & the A-League & not just hardworking defensive players which will run all day type players. We have thousands of them even in the State Leagues which will cost less & are Australian. Juninho Paulista, Dwight York, Robbie Fowler & Benito Carboni when fit brought something to the team which we lacked. That X Factor & class which Thomas Broich brings to the Roar.

Absolutely agree. Hopefully with the recent changes to our footballing structure our overseas scouting will improve. Hirofumi Moriyasu is the biggest waste of a foreign spot (& a roster spot) but we're going to have to sit with him for another year before we can let him go.

I think the biggest thing that A-League teams need to change with foreign signings is to never sign a foreign player when there is an Australian capable of doing a similar job.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-14/crook-new-boss-at-the-sky-blues/4010218/?site=sydney

Ian Crook has become the sixth head coach of A-League club Sydney FC, signing a contract for the next two seasons.

The club confirmed the appointment in a statement ahead of a press conference in Sydney to introduce the new coach.

Crook takes the job after two years as Sydney's National Youth League coach and A-League Assistant Coach, following the return to Europe of Vitezslav Lavicka.

Crook, 49, was the assistant coach to former German international star Pierre Littbarski when the Sky Blues won the first A-league title back in 2005-06.

The former English professional footballer racked up 457 combined appearances for Tottenham and Norwich City, including 15 seasons in the English Premier League.

He was named 2001-02 NSL Coach of the Year with Newcastle United, and also had coaching success at his old club Norwich, helping the Canaries to win promotion to the Premier League as title winners in the Championship in 2009-10.

In the club statement Crook said he was eager to return to the competitive environment of the A-League.

"I'm thrilled and honoured to be named as head coach of Sydney FC," Crook said.

"This club is very special to me after being part of its birth and early success and since returning to Australia I have enjoyed working with the younger players.

"To get this opportunity at Sydney FC is fantastic and I can't wait to start working on the pitch with the players, Steve Corica, Zeljko Kalac (assistants) and the football staff to make sure we get Sydney FC back where it belongs."

Sydney FC chairman Scott Barlow said the club was pleased with the appointment.

"His passion for Sydney FC runs deep, he has an impressive coaching and football knowledge and he is familiar with the Club and what we are trying to achieve," Barlow said.

"Ian already has an important place in Sydney FC history as a member of the coaching staff in our foundation season and he knows what it takes to help steer Sydney FC to success in the A-League.

"He has since picked up valuable coaching experience in Asia and England, as well as immersing himself in the Sydney football community while coaching the Sydney FC National Youth League and NSWIS squads."

Since Littbarski's departure, successive coaches Terry Butcher, Branko Culina and John Kosmina failed to win a title before Lavicka led the Sky Blues to win the A-League against Melbourne Victory in 2009-10.

A disappointing ninth place followed in 2010-11, before a recovery to finish fifth in the league and a loss in the first week of the finals to the Wellington Phoenix.

Safe to say that I'm pretty chuffed at this news. So much more confidence in Crooky than I did in Arnold, Poppa or Van Egmond. Added bonus in that he knows the club, the players & the coaching staff - the continuity there is massive.

Sydney are in diseray cleanout of players are required starting from emmo & crazy ivan.The next coach should come up with a better attacking & defensive structure they're defending to deep.

Yeeeep, we're f**king utter ****e right now.

Agree with you big time on how deep we're sitting. It was disgraceful against the Roar, who are just about the worst team in the league to try that against. All they had to do was pin us back & wait for mistakes to happen (as it turns out, it was the refs who made the mistakes not us, but c'est la vie).

I'm pretty annoyed at the playing group right now, Ale, Bosschaart & Yau (what a great suprise he's been) seem to be the only ones pulling their weight. There was nothing wrong with the systems in place IMO, just a real lack of execution. Very frustrating to see the team still struggling to maintain possession as much as they did last year, with a defence as shoddy as ours it's gonna hurt. The midfield is just awful, so hoping that the return of Culina can help patch that a little bit. Would like to see more of Hagi Gligor as well, shame for the kid to have to make his debut in the 7-2 debacle, but he's been quality in the youth games.

Totally agree with you on Emmo & Ivan as well. Ivan deserved his shot, he got it & failed, time for the next man up. I'm actually quite interested in seeing Janjetovic in action, got faith in him. Won't suprise me if he's an upgrade on Ivan either, was good way back when in our NYL team & he's been very good for United after coming back from a nasty knee injury as well. Also in his mid-twenties, so shouldn't be as skittish as a younger 'keeper would be.

As for Emmo, he's really hurting the team right now & it's hard not to feel some anger towards him. Second largest wage in the history of the HAL & he's playing like Zdrillic's munted cousin. I hope that the light comes on & he actually starts earning his wage but honestly I think the best case scenario is if SFC somehow try to get out of the last year of his contract. He's really disappointed a lot of people & has been an embarassment for the club.

New coach appointment is going to be massive for us. Ideally I think we need a good man manager, someone to really fire up & get the best out of our playing group. Heard a rumour that Gianluca Vialli was being considered, which would be a nice signing IMO.

Sydney FC must be trying emulate Chelsea with the number of coaches they have had. Good newspaper heading the other day "Abramovich hires coach for next 4 seasons - Spring, summer, autumn and winter" :)

Wanderers are playing like seasoned professionals , and on paper they have nothing compared to Sydney FC... What they do have is Passionate supporters and a Des Hasler / Bellamy type coach of the a-league

Popovic is a gun

and so are the wanderers...

The west is buzzing, I grew up in the northern region up until the age of 9 born into a Manly Sea Ealges culture, we did migrate to the west, being of Greek/Serb/Croat background, in the summer we would attend many soccer games. When they announced the Wanderers there was a big buzz in the communities.. You walk around here now and thats all you see.

I did go to 3 Sydney FC games their first GrandFinal, and once in 2009 and the other I happened to be in Melbourne visiting friend and went to watch them play against the Victory, who my cousin is a die hard supporter of.

I have been to all the wanderes game (in NSW that is ) They are building something special thats for sure..

I'm a sydney fc supporter but am seriously running out of patience they've done nothing since 09.
The wanderers have many old sydney fc recruits who are making us look silly how on earth did sydney release bridge for starters.The first sydney should do is bring younger players & get rid of abbas,emerton,mc flynn,& as much as i hate to say even del piero.

We have no go forward as these guys hang to deep as they have no legs to push forward.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4