The 2020 NRL Comp and where we fit

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It’s a long way until even our final side is announced let alone kick off but I thought I’d float the thread based on what we’ve just seen, who will improve , who will drop back and where everyone sees us finishing the normal season.

Not really worried about the bottom half of the Comp just the eight that count.

Roosters

Very hard for me to see them not finishing top 2 again, and probably a fair shot at 3 in a row. If they add Murray and Frizzell they’ll be unstoppable!!

Storm

It’s all about Scam400 isn’t it, he plays they’ll finish top 4, he retires top 8 but lower down. I don’t have them in my top 4 at this stage but if Scam continues on maybe ( although he’s another year older).

Raiders

With that English half back and little change otherwise top 2 for me, and possibly a repeat of last weekends final possible.

Souths

I have them dropping back to the bottom of the eight especially if the Roosters pinch Murray and they’ve lost a Burgi.

Parramatta

Think they’ll be about the same , still a real question mark over the Dalai’s ability in the big games. Around 6th to 8th with most wins at Wankfest.

Sea Eagles

All depends on injuries , and if we can get a full season from Tom. I hate to say it but I wonder if his career is going to be stained by constant injuries. With a fit Tom, and what we have now ( assuming no world beaters to come), I think we replace Souths in Top 4, and we’ll go at least one game more in the finals.

Sharks

Will improve , even with the loss of Gallen. My Smokey for top 4 to replace the Storm.

Broncos

Enough said, not top 8 in 2020, could slip well back.

Tigers / Bulldogs

One of these will make the 8, with both fighting for a position at the end.

This isn’t a “ pick your top 8” thread as it’s just way too far in advance but fun to think about who will and who won’t improve.

Likely Premiers, sadly it’s the Roosters again.

Beware of Penrith with a proper drama less off season behind them.

Too far out yet, let’s see who gets hit with a scandal this offseason.

They’ve promised so much but have yet to deliver , not sure that will change but could be wrong.

100% comes down to injuries.

If we assume all teams are 100% fit, then we are top 4. No doubt.

Chooks lose a bit with Cronk gone and see if they lose another player or two....

They had the stars (and refs) align the past couple of years. Three times is a bridge too far.

Happy to short the Roosters stock!

Beware of Penrith with a proper drama less off season behind them.

Too far out yet, let’s see who gets hit with a scandal this offseason.

Penrith still have a lot of discarding / staff movement before they will get to where on paper they should be, they won't threaten for a while until back of house is in order. Right now, it's a glorious rabble of people trying to throw power around which while it shouldn't be... leaks into the playing ranks.

giphy.gif

Sea Eagles - Premiers

INJURIES. If Manly can avoid their big guns falling long term, they have a good chance at the title. Could be a year off predicting they win it but they have much the same squad of top players except for Api, and there are a couple coming up and one or two bought, who will enhance their chances. The other factor is that several of their players are approaching their peak years. Yep, I'll be very disappointed if they miss the 8. At this early stage I am picking 3-6 position.

Like others have said, I really have a feeling the top six will stay the same. Just the order may shuffle around a bit, can see us going up to top 4, Souths sliding down. I know we all do but I really want to win the premiership lol. Because Im getting a tattoo when we do hahahahahahaha. Mum reckons I’ll chicken out so help me prove her wrong Manly!!!!

@Mark from Brisbane interesting discussion.

My two bobs worth.

Chooks - Cronk will be a big out for them, he was their missing link along with Teddy. Keary had a few concussion issues this season so that may be a concern going forward and whilst he is in the top rung of halves will be interesting how he/they go with a very green half alongside him.

Storm - as you say depends on Smith. He did come second in the Dally M's and his game management is impeccable, they really need to sort out what they're doing with a halfback.

Raiders - expectations will be higher, can they match it? A big call to move on Sezer and bring in another Pom.

Souffs - over achieved this year imo, will depend on how Reynolds back holds up, seems to be an ongoing issue. Losing Sutton will be big out for them ( I don't really rate him but he's a 300 gamer ) and how Sam comes back from off season shoulder surgery is another question mark.

Us - see Raiders (except we've got the Australian halfback!)

Parra - stuff 'em. I hope they sink into a stinky abyss.

Sharks - have the cattle but do they have the coach?

Broncos - Seibold has a job on his hands but he's playing the long game so two lean years ( by their standards ) in transition may have an upside. Desperately need a halfback and a focussed Milf.

I find the Storm a fascinating one, if Scam400 stays (and becomes Scam450 or thereabouts) they do well and whilst he’s 37 he can run a game like no other player and does little tackling or hit ups so can probably manage another year or even more.

Everyone seems to be forgetting Illawarra just because it had a horror 2019.
It will be like Manly 2018 to 2019, one of the big improvers.
For us: I can't see why we won't be Top Two. We have a very settled squad with a bunch of promising youngsters, need not recruit anyone, and were robbed of our chance to be in the final four this season.

Everyone seems to be forgetting Illawarra just because it had a horror 2019.
It will be like Manly 2018 to 2019, one of the big improvers.
For us: I can't see why we won't be Top Two. We have a very settled squad with a bunch of promising youngsters, need not recruit anyone, and were robbed of our chance to be in the final four this season.

Not convinced on St Merge, still not sure their coach can actually coach.

Manly should win at least one more game in regular season, depending on our draw (we had a pretty reasonable draw this year but that is the exception for us). If so, we will hit Top 4 and near full strength we should win the grand final!
Chooks will contend, just through weight of talent, they will win enough games but mental exhaustion and injuries mean they will struggle in the finals.
Raiders - I think they overachieved this year. They have a few weak-ish spots (Croker, Leilua's brain snaps, Lui) and I doubt they can plug those. In the 8 but won't make the GF
Storm will miss the 8 (!) and Smith will either retire now or else get injured half way through and the NRL will grant salary cap relief to Storm but it won't be enough. Every club they have screwed and stomped on over recent years will take delight in bashing them
Eels will somehow get a rails run and will be dangerous. Don't discount the possibility of Manly v Parra grand final!
Sharks, Souths - nup, both a little on the has-been slide
Broncos - nope, rebuilding but can't recover in one year
Teams from outside this year's 8 - at least one will get in but no idea who. Panthers, Cows, Knights most likely.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2