The $1mil contract curse

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
From a Manly perspective the solution is simple. (or is it)

Ship out DCE, Tom and Jake say we will pay 25% of contract and buy 6 new players.

Only problem with that plan is I can work out exactly where we will finish on ladder without those 3.

16th.

There’s a lot of other players that would be on this list when TPAs, golf games and secret perks come into the equation. Sadly we aren’t able to put these agreements in place as well as other teams.

DCE is worth it.

Its tough environment now to re-sign players amongst the predator clubs out there who have much deeper pockets than we have.

The uneveness of the cap, especially the 3rd party payments makes it lopsided and when you have 2 teams who are regular top 4 side in the Drizzle and Rorters is makes the claim "That this is an even competition!" A total fallacy!

It means that clubs like Manly have to spend overs to retain their quality players and it leaves little wriggle room for the rest of the squad.

2015 was so badly managed and we are to this day paying for the desperate decision to offer a guy who wanted to take the coin elsewhere an 8 year deal on outrageous money, good luck to DCE he took advantage of feeble management.

We need to employ someone from their system and copy it because whatever they do they do it ****ing well!’
Too right Mark. Its all about club management and having the right people. I have played in bands for over 40 years in this country and a football team with management is no different. The hardest part is keeping it together. Also when players are on huge money, the trappings of the world play a huge part in which direction the players go in. A lot of the time after winning a grand final players find themselves in trouble, because to most the job is done. Strict club management towards the players are what's needed. Even the storm have got themselves into trouble big time, but there is def an understanding at that club that remains strong overall. You can see it in the way they play and also in the pressers. I have taken a lot out of our own pressers of late. Penrith are the next test being a young side, and if they win the GF i will be interested to see if they can keep it altogether for 2021.

Too right Mark. Its all about club management and having the right people. I have played in bands for over 40 years in this country and a football team with management is no different. The hardest part is keeping it together. Also when players are on huge money, the trappings of the world play a huge part in which direction the players go in. A lot of the time after winning a grand final players find themselves in trouble, because to most the job is done. Strict club management towards the players are what's needed. Even the storm have got themselves into trouble big time, but there is def an understanding at that club that remains strong overall. You can see it in the way they play and also in the pressers. I have taken a lot out of our own pressers of late. Penrith are the next test being a young side, and if they win the GF i will be interested to see if they can keep it altogether for 2021.
If they win there’s going to be a LOT of players demanding some very big upgrades and if not delivered there’ll be be plenty in the market !!

As we know contracts are meaningless!

You can sign your halfback for $1M+ however it's what you do with signings around him that will get you results on the field.

Once Snake, Killer, Foz, Gifty, Choc, Ballin, Kingy etc all left between 2014-2016 we needed to make sure we got great replacements.

In the 'replacement period', we signed Marty, Api, Walker, Lewis Brown, Myles, Leary etc along with a rookie coach.

If you look at the calibre that left and what we replaced them with, that's just as bigger failure as bungling the DCE-Foz contract situation and then panicking and signing DCE to an 8 year deal.

If they win there’s going to be a LOT of players demanding some very big upgrades and if not delivered there’ll be be plenty in the market !!

As we know contracts are meaningless!
There in lies the problem. If they reach the pinnacle so early in their career in terms of premiership and money are they going to be worth the big $$ contracts they'll attract. The squad works together as a squad but when they go their separate ways will they individually be as effective. Is Nathan Cleary going to be worth 6 years /$1mil + at another club.

Of course one has to get it in perspective. We in Oz are small fry. Average US basketball player top grade $7.7 million with one getting $40 million yearly. NFL 2 million average some over 15 million. Baseball average 4.8 million and one on 36 million per year on 10 year contract. Top soccer players in UK earn well over 10 million, the top player 21.5 million dollars (that's US dollars) annually. Even in Australian Rules players on average get more than Rugby League. Top player Jeremy Cameron on $1.5 to1.55 million yearly

Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins forward, 'ice' hockey) loves the number 87 so much, not only is it his jersey number but he asked and received a salary of 8.7 million dollars a year.

I mean he signed a 12 year contract for 104,400,000 dollarydos! So his team had to make sure that extra 400k was there - so his contract could equal 8.7mill per year. lol

Anyway.... yes, Australia is small fry re sports wages (even if they are far above teachers, nurses, scientists, etc).

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8