The $1mil contract curse

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
Seems as though the majority of players who land the big money deals i.e 5 year + $1mil deals don't play as well as they were beforehand. Is it because they get into the comfort zone and lose the sharp edge of having fight their way to the top. Are they more concerned with managing finances than managing games. I can only think of Smith, Cronk, Thurston , Tedesco who play as good before and after. These guys are not...
DCE
Taumalolo
Inglis
Ponga
Hunt
Norman not sure he got $1mil but big money
Jake T
Tom T
Jack Bird whose just under the $1mil
Moylan big money but not $1mil

Agree. And while Taumalolo earns big money I don't think you can ever justify that big a contract on ANY forward. They are way too reliant on him and while he makes massive metres each game that means squat when you don't have big money players in the backline to convert opportunities, build momentum and break free.

Seems as though the majority of players who land the big money deals i.e 5 year + $1mil deals don't play as well as they were beforehand. Is it because they get into the comfort zone and lose the sharp edge of having fight their way to the top. Are they more concerned with managing finances than managing games. I can only think of Smith, Cronk, Thurston , Tedesco who play as good before and after. These guys are not...
DCE
Taumalolo
Inglis
Ponga
Hunt
Jake T
Tom T
And the worst value contact ever goes to?

Agree. And while Taumalolo earns big money I don't think you can ever justify that big a contract on ANY forward. They are way too reliant on him and while he makes massive metres each game that means squat when you don't have big money players in the backline to convert opportunities, build momentum and break free.
There’s a difference between whether you think Taumalolo,or anyone else for that matter,deserve a million dollars and if he is playing as well since that big contract.

There’s a difference between whether you think Taumalolo,or anyone else for that matter,deserve a million dollars and if he is playing as well since that big contract.
True, Taumalolo aside I think these are some good examples. Tedesco is another one that went well after getting a big contract but I think it is probably hit or miss when handing out big money contracts. I think Turbo will be one that only improves as his career goes on (so long as he stays somewhat fit)

There are alot of different factors in each case but an interesting thread.

DCE
Taumalolo
Inglis
Ponga
Hunt
Jake T
Tom T

2 other factors to consider Mick, are 1) The player getting the Mil often leaves the club and team that saw him rise to the top, and joins a new team that was willing to pay overs to get him ie Hunt, .. where other factors come into play ... like the team mates that made him look good aren't there ... and 2) The player was never worth a mil in the first place, just signed by numbnuts with a plan ... (save me from numbnuts who say they got a plan)

Also DCE was a superstar with Foran, Lyons, Matai, Snake, Gifty etc behind a good pack ...and worth a mil .. if we still had those players I have no doubt DCE would still be killing it ... and still worth a mil ..

DCE's $1MIL a season was a **** up by club mismanagement. DCE was going to sign for 750k but the club pulled the offer and went after Foran, in the meantime DCE signed with the Titans while Foran signed with the slime. To save face the club was forced to pay DCE big money to backflip on the Titans.

Forget the $1 mill price tag. Players earning big $ and not performing, finding a new interest other than league is nothing new. It's always been an issue for some and always will be. Human nature.

Of course one has to get it in perspective. We in Oz are small fry. Average US basketball player top grade $7.7 million with one getting $40 million yearly. NFL 2 million average some over 15 million. Baseball average 4.8 million and one on 36 million per year on 10 year contract. Top soccer players in UK earn well over 10 million, the top player 21.5 million dollars (that's US dollars) annually. Even in Australian Rules players on average get more than Rugby League. Top player Jeremy Cameron on $1.5 to1.55 million yearly

It's a hit and miss game and more often signing someone long term at high end $$ doesn't pay off. There's no way any more than 3-4 years is sensible given the limited salary cap space and the high risk of injury or loss of form taking out a huge part of your roster $$.

One of the main problems with form for Rugby League players is that it is a contact sport, unlike Australian Rules and soccer. Injuries take their toll and we've seen the impact on teams when many of their team are on the side-lines injured or star players are playing injured and exacerbating the problem.

The game has become tougher because of the replacement policies. Its a demanding sport and even having niggling minor injuries reduces performances. We only have to look at how many players are strapped up when they run out onto the field. Minor injuries carried onto the field, missing major play makers, a general drop in confidence.

I don't think players intentionally drop off intensity. A lot of it is to do with the mind, but also carrying injuries that don't stop them playing but reduce their effectiveness.

So how does the Storm keep doing it. How do they keep themselves ultra competitive without signing up big names. Their last big signing was Dale Finucane. The rest are either youngsters or they've cherry picked from other clubs. They are great at talent identification. They obviously have the best network of recruiters and talent spotters. Even still how does their training, game plans and fitness manage to be up so high. Manly has to learn this skill because we will never be able to go back to being a big spender now that we tie up so much $$ in so few.

So how does the Storm keep doing it. How do they keep themselves ultra competitive without signing up big names. Their last big signing was Dale Finucane. The rest are either youngsters or they've cherry picked from other clubs. They are great at talent identification. They obviously have the best network of recruiters and talent spotters. Even still how does their training, game plans and fitness manage to be up so high. Manly has to learn this skill because we will never be able to go back to being a big spender now that we tie up so much $$ in so few.
We need to employ someone from their system and copy it because whatever they do they do it ****ing well!’

I don't care about the $1mil + price tag we are shelling out for DCE so much, it's the 8 year deal that is the big mistake. If you lock yourself into a "franchise" player deal like that, then IMO you need at least one or two decent shots at a premiership. We are 5 years in and haven't looked like top 4 material. Can't see it happening in the next year or two either with our current roster. Even the most ardent DCE fans admit he isn't capable of getting the job done on his own, and we don't have the dollars to give him the arsenal he needs to deliver his best. Tying up so much of our cap in 3 players for so long is crazy. Gives you no flexibility to play with your squad.

If you want to spend $1mil plus on a player then I wouldn't go anything beyond a 4 year deal at most. That gives you a decent window to assemble a team for a crack at the prize. If it doesn't work then you reassess and go again with same eggs in the same basket if you wish, or you go shopping for different eggs.

DCE's $1MIL a season was a **** up by club mismanagement. DCE was going to sign for 750k but the club pulled the offer and went after Foran, in the meantime DCE signed with the Titans while Foran signed with the slime. To save face the club was forced to pay DCE big money to backflip on the Titans.
Yes, this fact seems to go missing when people slam DCE and his current salary.
Out of Micks list, I’d go Tedesco, but have a look at the calibre of players around him.(but he is one of my favourite non-Manly players even so.....just keep it quiet ok:oops:).

So by the logic in this thread any professional sports player that earns top dollar is a cat yes? They work hard. Sacrifice their bodies and do things most of us can only dream of enduring before putting the cue in the rack and living the good life?
What a total load of Bullpoop.
So once say Tiger Woods, Lewis Hamilton, Tom Brady, Ronaldo, messi and lets be honest at the very least 5000 professional sports stars that all earn much more than 1million dollars a year are all crap?
I would guess that for very few sports stars that reach the very top of their sport try any less hard than when they had very little. These guys like to win. That's what made them and thats what drives them.

We need to employ someone from their system and copy it because whatever they do they do it ****ing well!’

I actually think we recruit juniors quite well thanks I guess to young Fulton and his group and Cleal. I think its the progress into the top grade that seems like a bottleneck and also perhaps how the players are being prepared for the top grade. I'm concerned by the constant flow of injuries and this to me implies something to do with fitness levels. Anyone who's played sport knows that you are less likely to get injured if you are fit enough for the rigors of the game

Now I know Des was one of the fittest players in the game, so I dont think he will be responsible for fitness problems. To me there is as I said a bottle neck issue from the youth development to the seniors and I don't think its just because the Reggies are not playing. This problem has been going on since 2015.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8