Tetevano suspended

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Frogz said:
I really can't see what the debate is about....get rid of him. Not that we really have him anyway. Not needed at Manly or the NRL...
Does not deserve to be employed as a professional sportsman at all. He and only He has relinquished that right.

No one is stopping him working and rehabilitating himself, just not wearing a Manly jersey...there are lots of other real jobs around for him to do.

Hear, hear.

He's admitted to the lowest grub act in society (abusing a woman) on at least 4 different times.

After the courts assess the case, his road to recovery begins elsewhere, not at Manly.

Mark from Brisbane said:
You know, and I might get towelled for saying this, but isn't the aim of society to help rehabilitate criminals.

If a man has served his time , or has been punished then shouldn't we give people a second chance.

And especially those that admit guilt.

Oh yes I understand it doesn't fit " the image" the NRL would like, but what about giving a guy a second chance.

Now for repeat offenders this shouldn't apply, but to ban this guy for life is way too harsh.

Not that I approve of what he did in any way.
I agree Mark, no-one is perfect and I definitely do not agree with demonising wrong-doers.

However...I don't think he's been punished for these eight domestic offences yet, I think they happened earlier in the year and he pleaded not guilty. It seems it was only a few days ago that he has acknowledged he did the wrong thing, he denied it until then. I expect Manly didn't know he was going to change his plea when they offered him a deal.

He was sacked from the Knights for a totally unrelated incident in which a taxi windscreen was smashed.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Mark from Brisbane said:
You know, and I might get towelled for saying this, but isn't the aim of society to help rehabilitate criminals.

If a man has served his time , or has been punished then shouldn't we give people a second chance.

Oh yes I understand it doesn't fit " the image" the NRL would like, but what about giving a guy a second chance.

Now for repeat offenders this shouldn't apply, but to ban this guy for life is way too harsh.

I agree Mark, no-one is perfect and I definitely do not agree with demonising wrong-doers.

However...I don't think he's been punished for these eight domestic offences yet, I think they happened earlier in the year and he pleaded not guilty. It seems it was only a few days ago that he has acknowledged he did the wrong thing, he denied it until then. I expect Manly didn't know he was going to change his plea when they offered him a deal.

He was sacked from the Knights for a totally unrelated incident in which a taxi windscreen was smashed.

Well if he's yet to " do his time" then fair enough, thought he may have got a good behaviour bond.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

There is some truth to that. But most of the offences arise out of one incident. There is a lot of charges but it looks like it is one course of conduct. The charges have been loaded up, He's charged with common assault for pushing the victim to ground, a different charge for what happens when the victims on the ground, he was charged with all offences at the same time. Yes he plead guilty to damaging the taxi straight away and plead not guilty to the others until Friday. Still think it's a bit harsh to say that Newcastle didn't consider the allegations in totality or all of the offences he was charged with when Tetevano was sacked. He's missed a year of footy, that is something Ava is yet to do.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

There is some truth to that. But most of the offences arise out of one incident. There is a lot of charges but it looks like it is one course of conduct. The charges have been loaded up, He's charged with common assault for pushing the victim to ground, a different charge for what happens when the victims on the ground, he was charged with all offences at the same time. Yes he plead guilty to damaging the taxi straight away and plead not guilty to the others until Friday. Still think it's a bit harsh to say that Newcastle didn't consider the allegations in totality or all of the offences he was charged with when Tetevano was sacked. He's missed a year of footy, that is something Ava is yet to do.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

There is some thruth to what the Sgt says. However Tetevano was charged with all the current charges at one time. He plead guilty to the taxi windscreen which occurs the same night as the majority of the charges. He plead not guilty to all offences against his girl friend.

When the Knights sack him, they were aware of the allegations against him, aware that he had just been charged with all of the same offences he is now appearing before the court on. Tetevano has spent 2014 not playing NRL that is completely different to Ava wearing a souths jumper. Ava was allowed to play on having plead guilty to domestic violence. I find it hard to accept Tetevano was sack for damaging a taxi window alone when Ava is allowed to play on having plead guilty to domestic violence.

It would appear the knights took everything into consideration when they cut up his contract.

The court may well hand Tetevano a jail term yet, which is a completely different matter. All's I am saying is when it comes to a NRL sanction. If you compare Tetevano with Ava or Robert Lui 12 months out of the game is the amount of time a player should expect to be sitting on the side line, and Tetevano has already served his time.

Cliffy said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

There is some thruth to what the Sgt says. However Tetevano was charged with all the current charges at one time. He plead guilty to the taxi windscreen which occurs the same night as the majority of the charges. He plead not guilty to all offences against his girl friend.

When the Knights sack him, they were aware of the allegations against him, aware that he had just been charged with all of the same offences he is now appearing before the court on. Tetevano has spent 2014 not playing NRL that is completely different to Ava wearing a souths jumper. Ava was allowed to play on having plead guilty to domestic violence. I find it hard to accept Tetevano was sack for damaging a taxi window alone when Ava is allowed to play on having plead guilty to domestic violence.

It would appear the knights took everything into consideration when they cut up his contract.

The court may well hand Tetevano a jail term yet, which is a completely different matter. All's I am saying is when it comes to a NRL sanction. If you compare Tetevano with Ava or Robert Lui 12 months out of the game is the amount of time a player should expect to be sitting on the side line, and Tetevano has already served his time.

Well he can F/O elsewhere then. We don't need stinkweed like that in maroon and white. No time for anyone who kicks their misses in the head.

Begone scumbag.

I have certainly read newspapers articles saying court proceedings accused Tetevano of kicking, but @Jerry1 can you provide the link to the article or source that Tetevano kicked someone in the head?

Cliffy said:
I have certainly read newspapers articles saying court proceedings accused Tetevano of kicking, but @Jerry1 can you provide the link to the article or source that Tetevano kicked someone in the head?

I just read it again and it doesn't say kicked her in the head. I appologise for that. However. Still don't want the wife beater in the same jersey i wear.

How graphic is that story on what he did to his girlfriend.No thanks this clubs got a proud history,the only thing that undermines us are bull**** media stories like in 09 with the brett issue.

It's kind of sad that wrongs done in ones life have a direct impact on career.

A taxi driver, a trade, even a neurosurgeon will continue to work.

His problems have now been compounded and his punishment doubled.

weev said:

Most of those other vocations don't rely heavily on sponsors and advertisers to pay their wages. If you are prepared to take the cash then you must be prepared to be held to a higher level of accountability than the general public.

Cliffy said:
I hope we don't just rip up Zane's Contract. (Yes many of you disagree)

No one for a minute could condone what he has plead guilty too.

But NRL consequence wise he has already served his suspension.

Compare with Ava. Ava plead guilty for Domestic Violence yet Souths took no action, the NRL took no action and allowed him to continue to play. The charge adjourned until the end of the NRL season for sentence. He continued to get top tier income for the best part of a year. He played footy for the remainder of the year, played in a Grand Final and received all the bonuses that would flow from that. Now Ava will miss a minimum of 9 months in 2015 to do rehabilitation courses.

Jorge Taufua spitting on police, a two match ban. 2 matches.

Zane Tetevano committed these offences whilst a NRL player for Newcastle. His club torn up his contract. Deregistered as a player, he hasn't played any NRL games since. He hasn't received top tier NRL income since like Ava.

It is for the court what consequence Tetevano deserves, but NRL wise Tetevano has already currently received a much harsher punishment than Ava.

Good on Manly for giving this kid a second chance. Due diligence would have occurred with speaking to the low level club he went and played with and how he has been behaving off the field. It should be up to Zane to take this opportunity or perish as a NRL footballer. Especially when Dave SMITH and the NRL are happy for someone in a Souths jumper to keep playing or for Sex assault man Fergerson to play for the Roosters.

This post makes sense...probably too much for some people in here.
If he has decided to plead guilty or was found guilty then he needs to serve a punishment from the NRL just like Lui, Auva etc.
The thing is though the Knights had already torn up his contract more than 6 months ago, so if you take that into account he has nearly served as much time as Auva will be spending this year. Both cases seem pretty similar. If the NRL decide to give him a life ban, then where is the consistency? Surely Auva deserves the same?

Lets just see what happens, Manly have done the right thing by suspending him from all club duties at the moment, I'm sure the club will make smart decisions going forward.

Chip and Chase said:
weev said:

Most of those other vocations don't rely heavily on sponsors and advertisers to pay their wages. If you are prepared to take the cash then you must be prepared to be held to a higher level of accountability than the general public.

Fair point but if the player shows contrition and is given a conditional chance then I support it. Redemption makes him stronger, and us.

Chip and Chase said:
weev said:

Exactly. Whether they like it or not, NRL players, and all sportsmen and women for that matter, are role models to the wider public. They are in a privelged position where they have the ability to change and influence peoples lives for the better or worse. As you put, if you're prepared to take the money you have to be prepared to accept the responsibility that comes with it.

What it comes down to is that if this kid was allowed to play for Manly he would be celebrated and praised (if all went to plan of course) and this is a character who, at this present time, is not worthy of that affection. I am all for rehabilitation. But it is a long long road for this kind of offence, and the first steps of that are not to be done at a footy club, they are to be done by serving his punishment and working with professionals, and then proving to everybody else, and most importantly himself that he now understands and has learnt what he did was wrong and at least try to make up for it as much as possible, not that he ever could. Then, and only then can he seek to start playing football again if he wishes, and can prove to clubs he had changed so much so that they feel comfortable that this a character they would have representing their club.

With regards to punishment, anything less than a custodial sentence for this offence is just wrong due to the violence and prolonged nature of the attack. Missing footy for 6 months is not nearly a worthy punishment compared to the physical and psychological nature of the trauma he has caused his girlfriend and others.

It is a long road back for him, but not impossible. Unfortunately that is the burden he has took upon himself with his actions.

Gib the Pom said:
Exactly. Whether they like it or not, NRL players, and all sportsmen and women for that matter, are role models to the wider public. They are in a privelged position where they have the ability to change and influence peoples lives for the better or worse.
It's nothing to do with being role models. They are in the privileged position where they are paid generously because companies want to be associated with active young sports stars. The corporates cannot afford to be publicly associated with gross thuggery or other criminal acts, (or simply bad taste, Todd Carney), and that is where the pressure comes from to restrict the game to 'fit and proper persons'. The corporates themselves may bash their wives but so long as it is not publicised then harm won't flow to their brands. The corporates aren't interested in improving community behaviour, they are interested in protecting their gravy trains.

Zane Tetevano has had his contract terminated by the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles effective immediately, following his appearance in court last Friday.

The NRL’s integrity unit has been informed of the decision.

Violence against women is an extremely serious issue and is one that the Club does not condone or tolerate.

The Sea Eagles will provide the appropriate duty of care for Mr Tetevano and have commenced assisting in his rehabilitation by facilitating an arrangement for the player to connect with the White Ribbon campaign, the NRL Welfare and Education department as well as the Rugby League Players Association.

So once again on the hunt for a 115kg forward at the wrong time of the year. Fa'aoso gone, his replacement Elephant Man gone, Mark Mexico that we wanted and didn't get last year is playing suburban footy? Perhaps we just play second rowers up front again and wait and see what's on the market around the June transfer.

Cliffy said:
So once again on the hunt for a 115kg forward at the wrong time of the year. Fa'aoso gone, his replacement Elephant Man gone, Mark Mexico that we wanted and didn't get last year is playing suburban footy? Perhaps we just play second rowers up front again and wait and see what's on the market around the June transfer.

Willie Mason 120kg, Vave 115kg, Dunamis Lui 108kg, Jake T 105kg, Starling 105kg. We definately could use one more big body, if we cop an injury or two then we could be a bit skinny up front.

Such a shame! i know he's done something really bad but geez i was looking forward to seeing him play for us.
When we signed him i looked at his highlights and he reminds me so much of a younger Richie Fa'oaso, runs so hard and tackles just as hard too. Would have made an awesome impact player off the bench.

I ran into a player from the fulltime squad last weekend at the Star and had a good chat with him and he singled Zane out as a standout aswell.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6