Tanginoa in 2019

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Journey man?? Played 2 seasons with Parramatta & 3 games for Cowboys before us. Injury wise had a fractured hand, fractured foot & the knee injury last year. Actually spent minimal time on the sidelines...........didn't play much 1st Grade but was prominent in the reggies. He's 24 so i don't think it's now or never year for him! He showed plenty last year & can only get better.
I said a “bit of a journey man” because of the 3 clubs but I accept he is still young at 24 y/o. The thing is, he has been on short term contracts so far and his deal expires at the end of the year so he needs a decent, injury uninterrupted year to try and get a long term contract. That’s why I say it is make or break for him - if he has another medium-long term injury year or doesn’t perform, I think it is likely that he won’t get a new contract then it’s back to Intrust football for him.
Don’t get me wrong, I agree that he has potential but so do plenty of other players (many of whom don’t go on to make it). I really hope he fulfils his potential and I will be cheering loudly for him, it’s just that I probably don’t rate him as highly as others on here. I would be extremely happy to be proven a poor judge of talent provided that I am proven wrong while he is with Manly!

I really liked what I saw from Tanginoa last season. Every time he came on he ran into contact like a deadset maniac. If Paseka or Sipley or Perrett ran like him, we'd have the best prop rotation in the game. As others have said, for a guy of his (relatively) small stature, he made massive inroads whenever he hit it up.

I actually think I'd start him alongside Marty. I thought AFB did his best work coming off the bench running at tired forwards, while Tanginoa's speed and power early would be ideal.

Absolutely HATED Barrett's prop rotations last season, when we somehow always ended up with 20-25 minute stretches without Kapow or AFB on the field. That can't happen, one of them MUST be on the field at all times for that continuity, momentum and off-load potential.

Des needs to turn Paseka into Klemmer. Or young Klemmer at least - just come off the bench for 25-30 minutes a game and run at and over as many guys as you can, like a bowling ball. There are very few players with his physical gifts, I just hope he utilises them.

He's certainly an amazing physical specimen isn't he? And all good forward packs these days need a couple of simple hard straight running tough guys that do their role week in week out. If he plays a complete season and gets a little more mongrel and aggression defensively taking advantage of his strength and lowish centre of gravity he could be a real weapon for us. He's one of my favourite players currently and I wish him all the best. He has cult hero potential written all over him. Go Manly

I don't think it's wise to judge footballers on their best games, more on their consistent application and Tanginoa hasn't been able to string anything together for myriad of reasons. He can be explosive and I see the potential but he is not a valuable member of our roster until he strings some games together and performs consistently. Same goes for Sironen. I don't care how good they are on their day, they need to get their bodies right and contribute week in week out.

As for the bench rotation, I think it's a problem having Taupau and AFB on the field at the same time when little substance comes off the bench to replace them.

Momentum is huge in the game today and we are better off having slightly less impact at the beginning of matches to avoid a game defining momentum shift in the middle of matches. I also think it's dangerous to show all your cards and fire all your artillery at the beginning of a match. If the opposition bunker down and weather the storm, you are screwed. The opposition have their biggest energy supply when our best players are on the field.

I'd start with Taupau and Tanginoa and bring AFB off the bench with Paseka if it was me. Tanginoa can do the straight hard runs and Taupau can provide the second phase play. Then when Taupau goes off, all of the sudden we unleash the beast that is AFB.

As for the bench rotation, I think it's a problem having Taupau and AFB on the field at the same time when little substance comes off the bench to replace them.
I'd start with Taupau and Tanginoa and bring AFB off the bench with Paseka if it was me. Tanginoa can do the straight hard runs and Taupau can provide the second phase play. Then when Taupau goes off, all of the sudden we unleash the beast that is AFB.

Agree wholeheartedly, this has been my concern all along regarding our prop rotation.

I really liked what I saw from Tanginoa last season. Every time he came on he ran into contact like a deadset maniac. If Paseka or Sipley or Perrett ran like him, we'd have the best prop rotation in the game. As others have said, for a guy of his (relatively) small stature, he made massive inroads whenever he hit it up.

I actually think I'd start him alongside Marty. I thought AFB did his best work coming off the bench running at tired forwards, while Tanginoa's speed and power early would be ideal.

Absolutely HATED Barrett's prop rotations last season, when we somehow always ended up with 20-25 minute stretches without Kapow or AFB on the field. That can't happen, one of them MUST be on the field at all times for that continuity, momentum and off-load potential.

Des needs to turn Paseka into Klemmer. Or young Klemmer at least - just come off the bench for 25-30 minutes a game and run at and over as many guys as you can, like a bowling ball. There are very few players with his physical gifts, I just hope he utilises them.
Good post.

Crazy idea but would it be too early in Pasekas career to make him a starter with Kapow?
AFB and tangles would provide some energy and mongrel off the bench and Paseka could use his big frame to absorb (and crush) the opposition early and take some energy out of them trying to stop him?
It would be good for his confidence to play alongside Marty, he’d also be able to rotate with AFB. AFB could still have the majority of minutes on the field but it’s a good way to bring Addin on after the initial exchanges

I hope he has a good year and have been a fan since we signed him from Wentworthville...but to be honest...if he stays injury free and has a good year,he will be gone.I don't think he would be a guy that Des would prioritize to throw a lot of cash at and I don't think we would be able to throw a lot at...In saying that,that is how footy goes,someone does well,no room under the cap blah,blah,blah.We have seen it before....Kill it Big T and the cards fall where they will....

I don't think it's wise to judge footballers on their best games, more on their consistent application and Tanginoa hasn't been able to string anything together for myriad of reasons. He can be explosive and I see the potential but he is not a valuable member of our roster until he strings some games together and performs consistently. Same goes for Sironen. I don't care how good they are on their day, they need to get their bodies right and contribute week in week out.

Momentum is huge in the game today and we are better off having slightly less impact at the beginning of matches to avoid a game defining momentum shift in the middle of matches. I also think it's dangerous to show all your cards and fire all your artillery at the beginning of a match. If the opposition bunker down and weather the storm, you are screwed. The opposition have their biggest energy supply when our best players are on the field.

I agree, you can no longer see coming off the bench as a demotion - look at minutes played, the role being asked of you in context of the game etc etc. I would also like to see Api given a break by Fainu for 20/25mins. Api struggled to play an effective 80 given his size - he is much more potent when he gets a proper breather.

AFB off the bench is 100% the way to maintain the momentum.
So many games Manly were winning the middle and then unbelievably Kapow and AFB were sitting on the bench and the opposition lifted and took the game by the throat at that very moment.
I think Paseka to start could be a consideration in time, but the speed of the game early would sting him a bit until he has a bit more NRL experience.
Tanginoa was good off the bench and his energy was arguably higher than many of his more experienced mates, if not for injury could have made a fair bit of difference in some of those tight losses.
Perrett needs to chew a few angry pills, his fitness will be far improved in 2019 and after Don shreds him to where he should be, could also be a big improver.
Disappointed we lost Lane....under a new trainer and coaching feel he could have been an X factor on the edges....who knows, maybe this new signing Waddell could have a say in that role.

I think our forwards are our strong point. Maybe 1-2 in the entire league. The issue for mine is the 14 (utility), and 17 (backrower) on the bench.

I've always been a fan of a backrower, who can also play other positions being that 14 (AKA Jamie Buhrer), so you can then load up on 3 props on the remainder of the bench.

I think Fainu needs to develop more in Jersey Flegg. He also needs a thorough attitude adjustment when it comes to his commitment to what he wants to achieve in the game. Des and co. have spoken about the party attitude, and this fellow in a prime example (which also gets him in trouble as we saw last season).

At this rate, I hope Suli / Fainu are on very tight leashes , because I'm not sure they'd get a start elsewhere at present. I understand they are young, and need time, but what I'm seeing isn't indicative of a player wanting to achieve greatness.

The 17, I guess it's up to Des if he wants another backrower. If Fainu will be our 14, then you NEED a backrower at 17. You have, Gosweiski, Waddell, Winterstein as your choices. Prop, you have Perrett, Sipley, Keppie and others.

That said, this base , is amazing;

08. Addin Fonua-Blake
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka

I think our forwards are our strong point. Maybe 1-2 in the entire league. The issue for mine is the 14 (utility), and 17 (backrower) on the bench.

I've always been a fan of a backrower, who can also play other positions being that 14 (AKA Jamie Buhrer), so you can then load up on 3 props on the remainder of the bench.

I think Fainu needs to develop more in Jersey Flegg. He also needs a thorough attitude adjustment when it comes to his commitment to what he wants to achieve in the game. Des and co. have spoken about the party attitude, and this fellow in a prime example (which also gets him in trouble as we saw last season).

At this rate, I hope Suli / Fainu are on very tight leashes , because I'm not sure they'd get a start elsewhere at present. I understand they are young, and need time, but what I'm seeing isn't indicative of a player wanting to achieve greatness.

The 17, I guess it's up to Des if he wants another backrower. If Fainu will be our 14, then you NEED a backrower at 17. You have, Gosweiski, Waddell, Winterstein as your choices. Prop, you have Perrett, Sipley, Keppie and others.

08. Addin Fonua-Blake
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka
I believe we are mostly in need of a centre to replace Kelly. We need more strike out wide. Waddell and gosiewski are both good back up backrow options. I also think we are another middle forward short to complete our squad. Someone capable of playing lock or prop.

Steady on, Ryan - let's not get ahead of ourselves! Don't forget we finished 15th last year, not first or second. Yes, we have some talent in the pack, but we're a long way off the top teams. We need to show we can compete for 80 minutes before our forwards start scaring anybody. Love the enthusiasm and optimism, but I fear it's going to take a while to turn the ship around.

08. Addin Fonua-Blake
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka
I agree with your comment on the utility type bench player and I think our starting pack is pretty good, assuming all stay fit and healthy. Top 1 or 2? There are some pretty awesome packs out there - the Cowboys’ one is unreal.

Fox sports ran an article the other day ranking the top packs in the comp. we came in at 11, which I think is a bit low but happy to fly under the radar. Perhaps worthy of its own thread, but here is the article.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...s/news-story/0a8c284c75db3940da63ff7779733005

I hope he has a good year and have been a fan since we signed him from Wentworthville...but to be honest...if he stays injury free and has a good year,he will be gone.I don't think he would be a guy that Des would prioritize to throw a lot of cash at and I don't think we would be able to throw a lot at...In saying that,that is how footy goes,someone does well,no room under the cap blah,blah,blah.We have seen it before....Kill it Big T and the cards fall where they will....
Manly, Penn, who ever just has to get smarter with cap management. If we want to play with the big boys, we need a little more up our sleeve. But we can't loose our best young performers every year. I still say replacing Kelly and Lane won't be easy. Club spent 2 or 3 years getting them to that nrl level, now other club get the rewards.

Sam Perrett's younger brother also plays for Manly, will be exciting to see how he goes!! 24 years old, prop. Could be an exciting prospect!!

I was interested to read in that other Tangles / Paseka off to the NFL thread that Tangles was a standout at the recent combine camp. I'm not a massive student of the american game, I'll defer to others on that front, but my understanding is they like their big boys to be big and/or to have power. So given that Tangles isn't a physical beast he must have stood out in the explosiveness and power drills. All good signs for the NRL as well if he has a good enough motor to go with it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6