Sunday footy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
SYDNEY'S passionate rugby league fans have spoken - they want a Sunday afternoon match every weekend.

In a Daily Telegraph online poll, almost 80 per cent called on the NRL to schedule at least one Sunday game in Sydney each round.

Check out my blog listing my 10 ideas to improve the NRL .

There were eight Sundays this season when Sydney did not host a match. The poll, which attracted close to 15,000 hits, raised 10 possible ways to improve rugby league. But the Sydney punters were frustrated at being denied a Sunday game.

"The people love Sunday afternoon footy," said Manly coach Des Hasler. "The families can go, it's what footy is all about.

"Sunday arvo is part of rugby league's fabric in Sydney. It is a different standard of footy as well."

However, blogger Chris questioned why Sydney should always have Sunday afternoon matches.

"There is nothing better than getting to Brookie, Kogarah, Parra Stadium etc on a sunny Sunday afternoon - except going to Lang Park on a sunny Sunday afternoon," he wrote.

Miss C also fired up, saying: "What a joke! The heartland is where the fans love their game so much they go every time a game is on. It is where the turnstiles turn the most. And it is not Sydney."

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said holding a Sunday match in Sydney was not always possible.

"Specific game day scheduling involves a number of factors," Annesley said. "Firstly, the wishes of the clubs, secondly, trying to avoid a conflict of events and, thirdly, the selections of the broadcasters under the existing agreements. We would like to ensure there is a Sunday game in Sydney, but it's a matter of these factors being considered."

Fans expressed their views on a range of issues, with calls for the Toyota Cup age limit to be raised from under-20s to under-23s.

However, one fan wrote: "Leave Toyota Cup as is, please bring back reserve grade! The fans love it, you can make a day or night of it."

Another wrote: "Toyota Cup breeds a group of brats with over-inflated opinions of themselves.

"Let them prove their worth in the Qld Cup or a decent NSW Cup comp rather than treating them like rock stars flying them around the country."

Fifty-six per cent of respondents wanted the sin bin to be reduced to five minutes from its current 10, with 56 per cent also saying the NRL should align itself with a betting agency to raise revenue.

Seventy percent however disagreed with defenders at the ruck being allowed to stand offside if the dummy-half runs the ball.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6