Story: Slater reveals the hitman Storm worried about

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EaglesDontTweet

Bencher
Premium Member
After smashing Dave Tyrrell with one of the best hits ever seen on a rugby league field, Manly great Steve Matai did what most wouldn't have.

"He's a champion bloke. I apologised, I said 'Sorry mate, I sort of caught you on your blindside'," Matai said.

"He was a pretty cool dude about it and we had a good laugh afterwards."

Matai developed a reputation throughout his career as one of the most punishing defenders in the game.

Full story...

This from the article:

Matai was a silent assassin who wasn't much into trash talk. After that famous hit on Tyrrell he was quick to talk it down, a picture of humility as he analysed the bone-cruncher destined for rugby league folklore.

"I wouldn't read too much into it, he didn't see me coming," he said.

not long after the game i had to pleasure of meeting the team at a golf day and that is how he played it down to me also, even going as far as giving jorge the credit for putting on a bigger hit than him!
both jorge & i obviously disagreed with his opinion though

The word that he is dirty on the club is a shame, no doubt connected to the various departures of Gifty, Watmough and Foran. The fact Snake has eventually returned is a positive sign, would love to see Killer and Skivvy pop in, maybe next year to give the boys some extra motivation.

Other fans only called Matai a grub because they were jealous &/or scared of what he could do to their players.

He was guilty of the occasional swinging arm earlier in his career but IMO they were never intentional, accidental.

He just had perfect timing, ability to read the play & pick out his man & put his body (especially his shoulders) on the line every time.

People used to carry on every time he pulled off a bellringer as if he was attacking the head every time.

That game at Brookie vs Souffs when he dropped (legally) one of the Burgess' & the others came in to attack him yet he got penalised was (unfortunately) the way it often went.

It's a shame that Matai has essentially gone off the grid since leaving Manly.

I haven't seen nor heard a skerrick from him since.
Can you blame him? Toovey should have released him to take up the Warriors 4 year deal as this would have set him and his family up financially for life

I would be dirty at the club as well

As much as we love Toovey he made a real mess of dealing with the players

Some may feel similarly about Slater!

We had Snake and he was a better player anyway. Faster (in his prime), more skilled, a better attacker and a much better defender.

The problem is that Snakes injuries all but killed his international career and made it all too brief. Plus he happened to be from the state that couldn't win a rigged chook raffle at the time if it had anything to do with Origin. Thus Slater who had a longer and much more successful representative career gets all the wraps as the best fullback ever when the reality is that Snake was a better player.

Last edited:
The word that he is dirty on the club is a shame, no doubt connected to the various departures of Gifty, Watmough and Foran. The fact Snake has eventually returned is a positive sign, would love to see Killer and Skivvy pop in, maybe next year to give the boys some extra motivation.
Yeah, I think he was offered a big four year deal by the Warriors for 2015 however the club would not release him, and he ended up playing just 2015 and 2016, was medically retired for 2017, so probably missed out on some big cash, his service to the club warranted a release though.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8