Story: DCE shouldn’t be the captain, according to one non-Manly legend

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I don't remember Geyer ever playing for Manly but a topic for conversation just the same.....

Edit: The position taken in the article is not a view held by the poster.:)

NRL legend and media personality Mark Geyer has called on Manly to make radical changes to shore up the future of the side.

MANLY have endured a horrid run during the 2018 season and now calls are being made for a change in captaincy.

Still reeling from coach Trent Barrett’s decision to walk away from the club at season’s end, a former NRL player has called the struggling side to make drastic changes.

Currently sitting third last on the ladder with only two games remaining in the season it could be a different looking Sea Eagles outfit come 2019.

Former NRL great Mark Geyer has turned the heat up on Daly Cherry-Evans’ captaincy seat.

The emergence of Jake Trbojevic in 2018, along with his brother Tom, has lead Geyer to put them at the top of Manly’s list to shore up the club’s future.

“It’s time for Jake to have the captaincy,” Geyer told Triple M.

Continues at link: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/d...d/news-story/c4db27402140de678a81747ec6e7047e

Last edited:
More DCE bashing, i love Jake but he lets his emotion come out in the wrong way and we get marched for another 10 etc.

He will be one day no doubts but atm DCE is the only person in the team that has the experience to lead the team.

I like Joel so no doubt he could do it but if you look at the credentials of DCE it's no contest.

Jake leads the NRL's Most Penalized Player stat :(

Nothing stopping Jake talking on the field or for that matter any other player who wants to.

Captaincy requires the inane media appearances that Jake is not comfortable with ATM

Manly has done well with Snake, Killer, Ox as 'outsider' captains :D

Isn't Maloney the Riff Captain in any case :think:

Last edited:
No one is doubting the talent that DCE is, I have issues with his form, there is no doubt about his effort, what I continue to see is inconsistency when it comes to managing games. The fact about last nights game that he and Thommo missed an easy tackle and it turned the game!

All this fuss about emotional players, Toovey was, Fulton was too, Jake is doing his apprenticeship and I do hope that within the next year or so he is at least a co-captain!

The currrent set up isn’t working - we lack composure and leadership on the field. Not all great players make great leaders. Time for a change I feel.

What disturbs me the most is that the players want cart horse as coach.I didn’t think it was the players choice.It is making me question the running of the club. I thought the players Played the game with some one with know how Running it.

No one is doubting the talent that DCE is, I have issues with his form, there is no doubt about his effort, what I continue to see is inconsistency when it comes to managing games. The fact about last nights game that he and Thommo missed an easy tackle and it turned the game!

All this fuss about emotional players, Toovey was, Fulton was too, Jake is doing his apprenticeship and I do hope that within the next year or so he is at least a co-captain!
Seriously, DCE had a blinder. I’m so sick of the constant DCE bashing. Did you see the outstanding kicking game, the sublime passing, the dangerous running game and opening try? One missed tackle (he is a half remember, and one of the best defensive halves at that) and you point the finger at him. His form is fine, hence the origin call up (which he dominated). We are struggling as a team and with the off field drama.

Not having a go at you, but re-watch the game if you can and watch all the great things he did. I just find people have it in their head that he is the problem no matter what he does out there. Have a look at all the missed tackles of Cronk and Thurston yet they are legends? Cowboys are dead last - Thurston mustn’t be able to manage the team around the park.

Without DCE we are up the proverbial creek.

Seriously, DCE had a blinder. I’m so sick of the constant DCE bashing. Did you see the outstanding kicking game, the sublime passing, the dangerous running game and opening try? One missed tackle (he is a half remember, and one of the best defensive halves at that) and you point the finger at him. His form is fine, hence the origin call up (which he dominated). We are struggling as a team and with the off field drama.

Not having a go at you, but re-watch the game if you can and watch all the great things he did. I just find people have it in their head that he is the problem no matter what he does out there. Have a look at all the missed tackles of Cronk and Thurston yet they are legends? Cowboys are dead last - Thurston mustn’t be able to manage the team around the park.

Without DCE we are up the proverbial creek.
This year we have lost seven games by 8 points or under, our halves have not managed games and it's cost us dearly !! Yes he did some good things last night , I don't question his ability or skill. I question his inconsistency and game management!

This year we have lost seven games by 8 points or under, our halves have not managed games and it's cost us dearly !! Yes he did some good things last night , I don't question his ability or skill. I question his inconsistency and game management!
I understand that is what you are questioning, but every close loss doesn’t = the halves fault. Let’s also be fair and agree that as usual DCE has had no genuine halves partner, he has had to play with Croker, Hodkinson, Walker and even Tom Wright throughout the year.

Again, who would have done better? You can’t say Thurston - they have a better team than us, one that made the GF last year without him and Scott and they are dead last. So if the greatest half back (according to many - not me) can’t do it then who can? Why is DCE held up against a standard so high that nobody can achieve it week in week out?

Cleary is a steady player but can’t do the things DCE does and struggles without Maloney. Maloney can’t tackle and throws forward and intercept passes regularly, Cronk really struggled early and has a stellar team around him that must be over the cap. The Storm have an amazing coach (hate him or not he knows how to win) and has a structure in place that works with multiple rookies in the halves that have rotated through-out the year.

Adam Reynolds looked like a buster until Seibold came in and re-jigged their whole style of play.

So who can do week in week out what you are expecting DCE to do?

Again, I’m not having a go at you and respect your opinion, I just simply don’t agree with it and see so much DCE bashing in the media, on this site etc because they don’t like his personality or his pay packet.

Drop him into the Roosters instead of Cronk and they are still at the top, drop him into the Storm instead of their rotating 7s and they would be way out in front. Put him at the Dragons next to Widdop and they would be further up, drop him into Souths and he’d be leading the Dally Ms.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8