Post-Game Discussion Storm v Manly [Finals 1, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Storm
Vs
Sea Eagles
40 Sunshine Coast Stadium
10 Sep 2021 19:50
80th minute

Match Stats

we are not a team
Of youngsters tho
No but back in 2006 it was pretty similar , a few stars ( including the wonderfully talented Ben Kennedy ) and lots of kids playing their first final.

Who made all the mistakes tonight to put us on the back foot.

Our youngsters.

They’ll learn , we’ll learn , we will get better but it’s going to take a while.

We were schooled a reality check..
Jake and Marty too slow in defence and attack
We do not have a hooker
Our second rowers are very inexperienced
We don’t have any zip from our centres
And our 5/8 ( who has over achieved this season) is ageing fast
The total sum of the above means we can’t build pressure.. we have no go forward and that means our half back looks lost
And ultimately the games best player has nothing to do with no ball and no field position
Sad really when our 2 best players are our wingers who had a real dig

just a clunky performance and too many errors. Melbourne suffocated our attack

We will be better next week. Jake and Lawton were doing most of the ball playing and if was so pretictable.

Got in each others ways, Quac and harper had shockers, Tom was not in the zone. Probably thought we could of had sipley on the bench for some impact

What hurt the most was the care factor. Harper, yeah he had a shocker, but after each incident you could see he was cut about it.

A few of the others gave away a penalty or dropped ball and there didn't seem to be the slightest care about it.

Yes we were schooled, and while disappointing we know we were up against it after the last few weeks, but when you can count on 1 hand the few who gave it their all and didn't just phone it in once the storm got that first try, that's what hurt to watch
Yep the care factor or pride in that jersey tonight was not there at all

Right from the get go we never played tough hard finals footy and we were never in it tonight.

That was tough to watch. Really thought after we played them about a month ago that we would be better and to be honest we were probably worst.

Credit to the Storm, they played really well and just a few observations I noticed.

1. Obviously Morgan Harper was targeted and he has had an amazing season but unfortunately he had a rough night. I'd like to think he will be better for that experience tonight.

2. Noticed in D on our line, alot of fullbacks defend in the line and noticed a few times that Tom would be defending in the line close to the ruck, they would run someone at him, he was caught either at marker or at A/B then they would shift and Tom would be caught in field trying to run across to cover but either didn't make it or would make it and bat the ball dead.

3. Geez Melbourne did a great job slowing it down, tangling and not giving us any opportunities for quick play the balls and zero momentum. Interested to see anyone at the game if it felt like Melbourne were lying all over the ruck?

All in all I think this team might need another 12 months together and some more luck with injuries, they can really stick it to teams 5-16 but maybe just a little short of the top 3 teams atm. I hope I'm wrong but even if they can win next week I'm not sure they can keep up with the Panthers.

Thoughts anyone?

You must give them credit , and their coach , they played the perfect game to nullify Tom, and to attack our youngsters.

Wasabi did ok , the rest , overawed.
I agree. I was expecting this and I’m not surprised. At least they have a game next week to try to redeem themselves. The young guys were overawed this week and Melbourne are a very good team that’s used to playing finals football. This Manly team will be playing finals football for the next few years I’m sure.

Do we seriously think this side can win a comp with Parker and Harper as our centres ?
Im over DCE....offer him to the new Brisbane franchise asap.
Turbo had no room or momentum to do anything.
Storm were in our faces all game in defence and tbh i think our guys dropped thier heads as soon as it was morr than a 12 pt margin....
Beat Easts and push the Panthers and its a good season for me....Id rather finish top four after the semis than lose a GF.

We do not have a hooker
The total sum of the above means we can’t build pressure.. we have no go forward and that means our half back looks lost
And ultimately the games best player has nothing to do with no ball and no field position
good summary.

We could not build pressure because we allowed Melbourne easy field position by dropping the ball and giving away really dumb penalities on the last tackle.

Our back 3 normally get us on the front foot but were containing well.

Really missed crocker

I think we will be a lot better next week, too many nerves tonight. Looked rattled

That was tough to watch. Really thought after we played them about a month ago that we would be better and to be honest we were probably worst.

Credit to the Storm, they played really well and just a few observations I noticed.

1. Obviously Morgan Harper was targeted and he has had an amazing season but unfortunately he had a rough night. I'd like to think he will be better for that experience tonight.

2. Noticed in D on our line, alot of fullbacks defend in the line and noticed a few times that Tom would be defending in the line close to the ruck, they would run someone at him, he was caught either at marker or at A/B then they would shift and Tom would be caught in field trying to run across to cover but either didn't make it or would make it and bat the ball dead.

3. Geez Melbourne did a great job slowing it down, tangling and not giving us any opportunities for quick play the balls and zero momentum. Interested to see anyone at the game if it felt like Melbourne were lying all over the ruck?

All in all I think this team might need another 12 months together and some more luck with injuries, they can really stick it to teams 5-16 but maybe just a little short of the top 3 teams atm. I hope I'm wrong but even if they can win next week I'm not sure they can keep up with the Panthers.

Thoughts anyone?
Nailed it.

But the experience will di wonders for them.

We won’t be going any further in 2021, but I’m confident for the two years that follow.

Is it just me, or do Melbourne have so many players that you'd love to just punch in the head? They have melons that appear to warrant a fist?

Munster
Pappenwhatever
Smith
Bromich sandwhich
Yep... add Nelson salamander...Ado C*#k and Olam and give me a jersey next times we play them I well gladly put a few on and get sent off

No but back in 2006 it was pretty similar , a few stars ( including the wonderfully talented Ben Kennedy ) and lots of kids playing their first final.

Who made all the mistakes tonight to put us on the back foot.

Our youngsters.

They’ll learn , we’ll learn , we will get better but it’s going to take a while.
I will say 3/4 years at the earliest for us to be a serious contender..We have the nucleus of a title winning side but it so far off being complete.

We do not have a hooker
That sums up tonight completely against benchmark opposition

Yup, Des got schooled by Bellamy tonight. Honestly, we all have to agree on that.
Was Des meant to brainwash our players into not dropping the ball at every opportunity and not giving away soft penalties at the end of good defencive sets? Trbo was contained by us more than the storm.

We were terrible all around. Most of our forwards didn’t even make 50m.

Worst discipline we’ve had all year and no enthusiasm.

This was about attitude, not coaching. That start and our overall intensity was not acceptable

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -60 8