Steve Bell

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Barks

Reserve Grader
Enjoyed watching bell in manly colours this year. Amazing up until SOO.
I could go on and on about the extra dimension he brought to the backline– so I’ll just state the one thing I want to see in 2007. In the opponents half, he can do whatever he wants, but in manly’s 40m when he get’s the ball from dummy half or receives it from dummy half to take some heat off the forwards, I’d rather he run straight and hard (fine – use a little step). Many times he runs 3 steps, stops, steps a few steps sideways, then 1 step back the other way until the defence generally have him covered and makes a few metres instead of maybe 10m+. There’s a time for him to be a freak and a time for him to take one for the team and make some yards. Kind of a minor problem compared to his efforts this year.
I wonder how many years he has left in him? This year was as good as any that he's had previously - if not the best.

Bell was good up until Menzies took him out. The trouble with the backline is that when Bell got the ball he was usually cramped for space. This was in part caused by Dunley running crossfield pushing the backline towards the edge. It'll be intersesting to see if Des uses Dunley the same next year with Lyon in the backline.

Bell was easily one of our best this year, just got injured at a bad time when we needed him the most. He lacked a bit of spark in the finals unfortunately. I'd go so far as to say he has been a better buy than Orford in terms of impact this year.

He and Menzies had a good thing going there and hopefully we can build on that combination next year. The other time he can be very useful is off a second man Brett Stewart play, Stewy is quick enough to give him have half a gap, and Bell has the footwork to make the most of it.

Bell was good up until Menzies took him out. The trouble with the backline is that when Bell got the ball he was usually cramped for space. This was in part caused by Dunley running crossfield pushing the backline towards the edge. It'll be intersesting to see if Des uses Dunley the same next year with Lyon in the backline.

Hopefully Lyon will be able to put the wind up Dunnely's arse when he does that. I dont think Jamie will put up with that side ways running crap for too long.
When does he come over to start his pre season training????

[quote author=DSM5]

Hopefully Lyon will be able to put the wind up Dunnely's arse when he does that. I dont think Jamie will put up with that side ways running crap for too long.
When does he come over to start his pre season training????

[/quote]

Pig shooting trip first.

Bell was good up until Menzies took him out.

The difference between the pre busted cheek Bell to the post was stark. He looked "gun shy" for want of a better phrase. Lets hope the commencement of next season sees him back to his old self.

Steve Bell has been a godsend to the manly team in 06. Excellent at finding the tryline and reminds me alot of clinton shifcofske in the way he can stop, jink, step and still make around 10 metres a run. His combination with orford is brilliant. he knows exactly where to position himself on a backline move and can get his winger to the line if need be.

As mentioned he seemed to lose his touch a little after he broke his cheekbone.. but i think towards the end of the season he was getting his touch abck and he'll be ready to rock and roll next year. Just remember "For whom the bell tolls"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4