Starting 9 for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who will start at #9 in 2021

• Foran

• Cust

• Fainu

• Croker

• Docker-Clay

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why would you buy the best 6 in the game, only to play him at 9?

Foran was close to the best 5/8 around 2012-13. He is no where near that today. In fact Canterbury released him in 2020, Parramatta released him in 2016, Auckland made no effort to keep him in their team in 2017. Canterbury tried to shift him on as early as 2018, but it would have cost them too much. He still has talent but I suspect we remember too much the player who was so effective over half a decade ago. Des may get something worthwhile out of him, but he is far from the best 5/8 today.

Foran was close to the best 5/8 around 2012-13. He is no where near that today. In fact Canterbury released him in 2020, Parramatta released him in 2016, Auckland made no effort to keep him in their team in 2017. Canterbury tried to shift him on as early as 2018, but it would have cost them too much. He still has talent but I suspect we remember too much the player who was so effective over half a decade ago. Des may get something worthwhile out of him, but he is far from the best 5/8 today.
All this is true, but related to injuries more than ability I tend to think. I saw him play on two occasions last season, and - yes, he was only playing for the Dogs - but was a clear stand-out in terms of skill, knowledge and capability. In fact I was moved to message a forum of friends who are all deeply knowledgeable about NRL, and said as much during a game. He carved up the middle and scored a solo try within seconds of me posting. If he can stay fit - big IF, I know) we will see a much more exciting attack next season. He still sees opportunities that lesser players do not, and makes things happen. Again, that is based on only two games (possibly the only two he was fit for) but still enough to offer a glimpse of hope...

All this is true, but related to injuries more than ability I tend to think. I saw him play on two occasions last season, and - yes, he was only playing for the Dogs - but was a clear stand-out in terms of skill, knowledge and capability. In fact I was moved to message a forum of friends who are all deeply knowledgeable about NRL, and said as much during a game. He carved up the middle and scored a solo try within seconds of me posting. If he can stay fit - big IF, I know) we will see a much more exciting attack next season. He still sees opportunities that lesser players do not, and makes things happen. Again, that is based on only two games (possibly the only two he was fit for) but still enough to offer a glimpse of hope...

And you think Schuster cant do that and more, and do it for the next 5-10 years for Manly. This is about tomorrow, not yesterday. Never said Foran wasn't clever, but carving up a team on a few occasions is not justification for leaving out a player who is probably one of the best of his generation. If you think letting Foran take 5/8 at the risk of losing a talent like Schuster well.. I'll say no more. But I suggest you hide your avatar, if your decision is agreed to by the selectors. The Gutherson flaw will seem like spilt milk in comparison

He drifts out of games. It's why the dogs looked good in some games but lost so much. Good in patches / flashes but not for 80.

And you think Schuster cant do that and more, and do it for the next 5-10 years for Manly. This is about tomorrow, not yesterday. Never said Foran wasn't clever, but carving up a team on a few occasions is not justification for leaving out a player who is probably one of the best of his generation. If you think letting Foran take 5/8 at the risk of losing a talent like Schuster well.. I'll say no more. But I suggest you hide your avatar, if your decision is agreed to by the selectors. The Gutherson flaw will seem like spilt milk in comparison
What decision was that? Voicing an opinion that Foran can still play the game doesn’t mean I don’t want to see Schuster carving up. They’re both versatile - Schuster can play back row, five eighth, probably centre. Foran had to start at centre before working his way to the halves. They’re both great players, at opposite ends of their respective careers. We are stronger with both of them in the squad.

Did we sign Munster?

Or you talking about Keary.....or Wighton?
Maybe Cody Walker, or Dylan Brown. Possibly Jerome Luai, Green. Perhaps Ash Taylor or Shaun Johnstone or Nikorima. Geez we getting down the list now before hitting Foran.

Just an interesting piece of trivia,the guy released by Dogs had this to say about Foran.(Cogger)
Was an important contributor to the team in the coaching/sideline aspect of the game.Did not matter whether he was playing but had a big role when it came to talking and interacting with players off the field,and getting everyone on the same page with regards to the game plan etc....
Maybe more help than just being on the field next year,might be a good reason to try and get Gifty back around the playing group as well?But as long as we have lean children who are fast we will be ok.

Just an interesting piece of trivia,the guy released by Dogs had this to say about Foran.(Cogger)
Was an important contributor to the team in the coaching/sideline aspect of the game.Did not matter whether he was playing but had a big role when it came to talking and interacting with players off the field,and getting everyone on the same page with regards to the game plan etc....
Maybe more help than just being on the field next year,might be a good reason to try and get Gifty back around the playing group as well?But as long as we have lean children who are fast we will be ok.
Now it makes sense. To get a coaching job at Manly one clearly has to have played what position wearing a Manly Jumper!

What decision was that? Voicing an opinion that Foran can still play the game doesn’t mean I don’t want to see Schuster carving up. They’re both versatile - Schuster can play back row, five eighth, probably centre. Foran had to start at centre before working his way to the halves. They’re both great players, at opposite ends of their respective careers. We are stronger with both of them in the squad.

But what you are saying here Freagle is that Foran should get first opportunity at 5/8. Foran didn't start at centre. His first game was at 5/8 and it pushed another outstanding 5/8 Jamie Lyon to the centre. He started at almost exactly the same age in first grade as Schuster

If you followed Schuster's junior career he started as a backrower but obviously his talent for creating the play was recognised and he was by SG Ball the 5/8. Didn't play in the forwards again as far as I know, except in a rep game. He was also captain, noted as the best 5/8 in the junior comps and was declared best player in the SG Ball comp. They played him in the forwards in a rep game but his effectiveness was diminished...and the team lost.

Foran was an outstanding 5/8 years ago. Schuster is the next generation and may well surpass Foran at his best. Playing around with this kid in the forwards, diminishes his effectiveness and risks losing him to other teams that will have him at 5/8 immediately and on a lot more money (such as the Tigers who have apparently put out significant feelers).

Having Foran at dummy half utilises his skills as a distributor. Using Schuster at second row or off the bench, diminishes his effectiveness. Having three players in open field positions getting a lot of the ball increases Manly's effectiveness (DCE, Schuster, Foran). Having Schuster at second row, diminishes that effectiveness.

But what you are saying here Freagle is that Foran should get first opportunity at 5/8. Foran didn't start at centre. His first game was at 5/8 and it pushed another outstanding 5/8 Jamie Lyon to the centre. He started at almost exactly the same age in first grade as Schuster

If you followed Schuster's junior career he started as a backrower but obviously his talent for creating the play was recognised and he was by SG Ball the 5/8. Didn't play in the forwards again as far as I know, except in a rep game. He was also captain, noted as the best 5/8 in the junior comps and was declared best player in the SG Ball comp. They played him in the forwards in a rep game but his effectiveness was diminished...and the team lost.

Foran was an outstanding 5/8 years ago. Schuster is the next generation and may well surpass Foran at his best. Playing around with this kid in the forwards, diminishes his effectiveness and risks losing him to other teams that will have him at 5/8 immediately and on a lot more money (such as the Tigers who have apparently put out significant feelers).

Having Foran at dummy half utilises his skills as a distributor. Using Schuster at second row or off the bench, diminishes his effectiveness. Having three players in open field positions getting a lot of the ball increases Manly's effectiveness (DCE, Schuster, Foran). Having Schuster at second row, diminishes that effectiveness.
Why don't we play Schuster at left centre, right outside Foran? What a potent edge that could be. Chez and Walks on the right. Cust at 9, a fit turbo at 1. Sirro at 13...

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4