Starting 9 for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who will start at #9 in 2021

• Foran

• Cust

• Fainu

• Croker

• Docker-Clay

Results are only viewable after voting.
After watching Randall from knights we can put a line through his name. No better option than Croker. I'd still like ZDC bought up to our 30. I rate him and is as good or better than most of the other options talked about on this thread
Yeah,at the very least a development contract,if you can get him in the 30 might depend on whether there is any chance to offload Croker.
The rule changes seem to have impacted the role of a 9,you still need a strong defender but it is almost like a second halfback role now.
With the speed of the game you need quick thinkers with skills to capitalize on opportunities when they present themselves,whether it is choosing which side to go and overuling the halves call,or having a dart,or backing up or choosing a kick and what type in a heartbeat.
I think he would actually suit the new role of a nine,he has a really good allround skillset,hopefully Des sees this too....

ZDC would be happy on minimum wage. It's called balance to your squad. If you think he is that bad you must not have watched many games, he is a decent back up 14 on the cheap.
He is rubbish and should be paying us for the jersey. I have seen him plenty of times from his Penrith,eels and Hkr days and he is useless.

You don't balance your squad with crap you balance your squad with players on the up not somebody "who would be happy with minimum wage"

Seriously supporters should expect more from their club than these types of players.

There is a reason he would be happy with minimum wage because he wouldn't get it anywhere else and sadly that kind of signing is becoming the norm for us and fans celebrate it.

• 📚
Reactions: R3
Defence in the middle would be a concern with both Foran and Cust. Not doubting their toughness, but Foran is always an injury concern and I don't think Cust is all that good a defender. I can see Jake making a lot more tackles until (and if) Fainu returns.

And as talented as Shoe is, I would still have Foran at 5/8, at least to start with. In this case I'd go for experience over youth. Shoe is still young, he has time to develop.

Schuster has already shown he's ready. Even Benji remarked at how good he was so early. And I don't think it was a coincidence that Manly lost that game after Schuster left the field. Cust and Foran would have far less defence to worry about playing half a game. especially if they play as Cam Smith plays. Notice Cam Smith rarely is injured. Its a lot to do with keeping him out of the rough stuff. The team needs continuity, one of the problems we had this year. Having a player like Foran, for all his skills, playing 5/8 with his injury history risks breaking that continuity from the start. Memories of Manly letting go Steve Martin for Johnny Gibbs who had gone through a serious set of injuries. Martin produced the goods elsewhere, Gibbs played a few games and retired. Slightly different in that Martin left (after helping Manly to the '78 premiership). You dont gamble on maybes

He is rubbish and should be paying us for the jersey. I have seen him plenty of times from his Penrith,eels and Hkr days and he is useless.

You don't balance your squad with crap you balance your squad with players on the up not somebody "who would be happy with minimum wage"

Seriously supporters should expect more from their club than these types of players.

There is a reason he would be happy with minimum wage because he wouldn't get it anywhere else and sadly that kind of signing is becoming the norm for us and fans celebrate it.
Who is out there that would be happy to come here for a 1year stint and battle for a bench spot for 6 months until Fainu is back. Hardly see any takers for that other than someone on minimum wage looking for a shot. ZDC is not rubbish and as a true fan I wish him all the best.

Who is out there that would be happy to come here for a 1year stint and battle for a bench spot for 6 months until Fainu is back. Hardly see any takers for that other than someone on minimum wage looking for a shot. ZDC is not rubbish and as a true fan I wish him all the best.
Those unsigned would kill for a run on position, even if for only a year.

Schuster has already shown he's ready. Even Benji remarked at how good he was so early. And I don't think it was a coincidence that Manly lost that game after Schuster left the field. Cust and Foran would have far less defence to worry about playing half a game. especially if they play as Cam Smith plays. Notice Cam Smith rarely is injured. Its a lot to do with keeping him out of the rough stuff. The team needs continuity, one of the problems we had this year. Having a player like Foran, for all his skills, playing 5/8 with his injury history risks breaking that continuity from the start. Memories of Manly letting go Steve Martin for Johnny Gibbs who had gone through a serious set of injuries. Martin produced the goods elsewhere, Gibbs played a few games and retired. Slightly different in that Martin left (after helping Manly to the '78 premiership). You dont gamble on maybes

I do get it about Schuster and agree that he is a talented player, but people seem to be forgetting that he's only played one first grade game. And while he did look good, lets also remember who we played that night. The Tigpies are not one of the great sides. If he'd come out and looked good playing Melbourne, Penrith, Souffs or the Chooks in his debut, then I'd say yeah he showed he could play against the best. But the Tigpies?

You say "you don't gamble on maybes". Isn't Schuster also a maybe? Especially given that he's only played one game and it wasn't exactly against great quality opposition.

I still say let Foran be the 5/8 to start with and either play Shoe from the bench or in the back row for now. Odds are Foz will get injured at some stage anyway which would (provided he's not injured as well) allow Shoe to move to the halves.

Last edited:
I do get it about Schuster and agree that he is a talented player, but people seem to be forgetting that he's only played one first grade game. And while he did look good, lets also remember who we played that night. The Tigpies are not one of the great sides. If he'd come out and looked good playing Melbourne, Penrith, Souffs or the Chooks in his debut, then I'd say yeah he showed he could play against the best. But the Tigpies?

You say "you don't gamble on maybes". Isn't Schuster also a maybe? Especially given that he's only played one game and it wasn't exactly against great quality opposition.

I still say let Foran be the 5/8 to start with and either play Shoe from the bench or in the back row for now. Odds are Foz will get injured at some stage anyway which would (provided he's not injured as well) allow Shoe to move to the halves.
Ill be surprised if foz isn't starting at 6 next year. I think all the innuendo about him playing elsewhere is just horseplay

No wonder our defence was so rubbish this year, on Friday night Api ONLY made 61 tackles. Our 9 next year has to be preapred to make this sort of defensive contribution. One of our worst recruitment decisions of recent times.
Not only his defence. You watch him play, basically like a half back. Not a great passing game, but directs the team around the park (not cleary) He tells forwards were to go, knows when to go the blind or open side, flat short pass or long pass out the back, engages the defence, sets up the plays so cleary can just run his natural game. He does so much talking out there, then there his defence on top of that.

Ill put my house on schuster not being a maybe

Ill be surprised if foz isn't starting at 6 next year. I think all the innuendo about him playing elsewhere is just horseplay

Des being Des. Everyone who should know (the players), will know what's going on. Everyone else will just have to wait until game time.

Last edited:
Ill put my house on schuster not being a maybe

I agree, but I was only using his lack of first grade experience as an example of a maybe because other than that 3/4 of a game against the Tigpies, who knows? We know he's talented, but there are scores of talented kids who have been chewed up and spat out by professional sports over the years.

Whichever way it goes next year though, barring injury I'd expect him to be in our best 17 somewhere. At this stage I'm more betting on him being in the back row or more likely in the #14.

Last edited:
I agree, but I was only using his lack of first grade experience as an example of a maybe because other than that 3/4 of a game against the Tigpies, who knows? We know he's talented, but there are scores of talented kids who have been chewed up and spat out by professional sports over the years.

Whichever way it goes next year though, barring injury I'd expect him to be in our best 17 somewhere.
I still like Jake to prop and Schuster to lock. Des can use Schuster a similar way to the way Jake was used at lock. Schuster will ball play as much as he would at 5/8 anyway. He is a big unit and is destined for the forwards. This way we have ball players everywhere with Cust at 9, Jake, Schuster, Chez, Foran and Turbo. Add Walker at centre and we have footy smarts all over the park, a far cry from where we were this year. I'd still also be chasing a genuine 9 or 14 to partner Cust.... hopefully Fainu is that man

Last edited:
Schuster has made it clear robbo he is and will play 6....if des plays foran at 6 and schuster asks for a release then i dont blame him and will be angry at the club for not looking to the future and accomodating him..he is capable of slotting straight in to the starting 13...he doesnt care much for foran by the sounds of it....benji on the other hand different story as he has made it clear..making him play out of his preferred position isnt going to help retain him

Schuster has made it clear robbo he is and will play 6....if des plays foran at 6 and schuster asks for a release then i dont blame him and will be angry at the club for not looking to the future and accomodating him..he is capable of slotting straight in to the starting 13...he doesnt care much for foran by the sounds of it....benji on the other hand different story as he has made it clear..making him play out of his preferred position isnt going to help retain him
Where has Schuster been quoted saying this? In my opinion, It's media bull**** speculation! Schuster actually said he is looking forward to playing and learning from Foz. The new role of a 13 is similar to a 6 anyway. IF Schuster is making those type of demands than that is such a bad attitude for a 1 game rookie. What happened to doing what's best for the team? especially at such a young age, should just be happy playing instead of throwing around demands and threats

I still like Jake to prop and Schuster to lock. Des can use Schuster a similar way to the way Jake was used at lock. Schuster will ball play as much as he would at 5/8 anyway. He is a big unit and is destined for the forwards. This way we have ball players everywhere with Cust at 9, Jake, Schuster, Chez, Foran and Turbo. Add Walker at centre and we have footy smarts all over the park, a far cry from where we were this year. I'd still also be chasing a genuine 9 or 14 to partner Cust.... hopefully Fainu is that man

Jake to prop and Schuster to lock is something I wouldn't mind seeing either.

Unfortunately I think Jake at lock actually stiffles our attacking game somewhat and the sad reality is that for a while there he really was becoming our Aiden Tolman or Paul Gallen. Getting the ball at the wrong time and getting into first receiver too much. He does have the skills, but his delivery is slow and often telegraphed.

Playing him at prop would leave him to do what he's best at. Tackling and hit ups.

Even if he is still at lock and Schuster plays off the bench (which I suspect he will for a while), hopefully the presence of Foran at 5/8 on one side and DCE at half on the other (and a decent dummy half) will mean that Jake isn't at first receiver half as much as he has been.

Where has Schuster been quoted saying this? In my opinion, It's media bull**** speculation! Schuster actually said he is looking forward to playing and learning from Foz. The new role of a 13 is similar to a 6 anyway. IF Schuster is making those type of demands than that is such a bad attitude for a 1 game rookie. What happened to doing what's best for the team? especially at such a young age, should just be happy playing instead of throwing around demands and threats
I had schuster as my 13 but from what i have been hearing he is insistent on playing the 6 and has no intentions in playing any other position..time will tell

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8