Stars or Depth?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SilverSkier

Reserve Grader
Hi everyone, I haven't posted for ages but always read the threads. Apologises if this discussion has already taken place.
Was just thinking about the situation with being almost $1mill behind all teams this year due to Stewart and Matai and what will happen next year and I recall Barrett saying we haven't got much depth.
So next year...
Getting to the point.....should we try to sign 1 or 2 top line players,
Or should we try to sign 5 to 7 depth players?

Not too much stars available this year, some good depth however.

People on here saying we've signed Justin Horo back for 2018, which in terms of depth is great. I think other than a few small signings we'll save our cash mainly for next off season, plenty of stars available then (and plenty of money!!!)

Maybe James Roberts from reports, im mixed on that signing should it ever come true although there's a star for ya (on the field)

I think the obvious spend is we need a edge forward or two, one really top shelf one and one solid one. Also fullback depth is a bit of concern so it'd be nice to have someone young there for depth / coverage.

I think the obvious spend is we need a edge forward or two, one really top shelf one and one solid one. Also fullback depth is a bit of concern so it'd be nice to have someone young there for depth / coverage.
Yes, although I'm actually really happy with how our second-rowers are faring at the moment. Siro's attack is just beginning (unfortunate injury) and Winterstein is very solid in defence, a no frills player that gets the job done. Only would replace one of em and if so it would have to be a bloody good player as these boys are getting the job done for cheap and that's all we need

Stars win games, so majority money should go towards a new prop and backrower and what is remaining go towards depth and re signings. we have more than 1 mil though. We have good depth in backs all that is covered we just need some more forward depth.

Hard to gauge how much more scope that there is for more signings , whether for high profile player considerations or more depth related options . Just know that Tom Turbo and Jake"s upgrade combined contract amount now represents some 1. 6 Mil. and probably around double their previous combined contract figure. Also as has been previously indicated , Jorge ,Brad Parker , Bill Bainbridge and Frank Winterstein are yet to be resigned .Two more forwards have now been recruited after releasing Myles but there would still be some available cap funds after this development . So even allowing for these aspects, there should still be some additional cap money available with the Snake and Matai contract factor amount but maybe not as much as is generally assumed .

Hi everyone, I haven't posted for ages but always read the threads. Apologises if this discussion has already taken place.
Was just thinking about the situation with being almost $1mill behind all teams this year due to Stewart and Matai and what will happen next year and I recall Barrett saying we haven't got much depth.
So next year...
Getting to the point.....should we try to sign 1 or 2 top line players,
Or should we try to sign 5 to 7 depth players?
It's a good question SS.
I only know what Baz has said and that is we are going to retain and promote/upgrade players he can see a future in and buy 'judiciously'.
So I think we'll have a couple of key signings and a fair few next gen players coming through because he also said we have to develop as well as the storm do.
Way to go !!

Stars have made Melbourne shine for the past decade. Keeping them fit and healthy is the challenge, but one that the Storm have managed. We definitely need one more gun backrower. Someone like Beaver Menzies or Ben Kennedy. That's not asking too much, is it?

Cap to i
Hard to gauge how much more scope that there is for more signings , whether for high profile player considerations or more depth related options . Just know that Tom Turbo and Jake"s upgrade combined contract amount now represents some 1. 6 Mil. and probably around double their previous combined contract figure. Also as has been previously indicated , Jorge ,Brad Parker , Bill Bainbridge and Frank Winterstein are yet to be resigned .Two more forwards have now been recruited after releasing Myles but there would still be some available cap funds after this development . So even allowing for these aspects, there should still be some additional cap money available with the Snake and Matai contract factor amount but maybe not as much as is generally assumed .
ncrease as well. If we were to sign say for eg a top line back, Horo and another decent backrower and keep most of what we've got our depth will increase significantly anyway.

Need a SoO quality Backrower.
A depth Backrower.
One more prop for depth.
Keep everyone else
A bit of luck and 2018 premiers
If we keep the props we have and Paseka kicks on we will have more props than we know what to do with.
Marty
Lawrence
AFB
Perrett
Lussick
Paseka
Maybe one more up and comer and a replacement for BJ if he's moved on. I rate the potential of our big men as being the best in the League. Then we have other big and aggressive guys in Jake, Sirro and Winterstein. Back up in that big but as yet unproven backrower we've signed from the Eels and decent back up in Horo, Bainbridge, Hoppa(hopefully) even Lane.

Last edited:
We don't need a Horo. We need that older guy from a winning culture for depth. Like when we signed Smokin' Joe Gulavao. Who that is I'm not sure but we don't need to go back to Horo...

Stars have made Melbourne shine for the past decade. Keeping them fit and healthy is the challenge, but one that the Storm have managed. We definitely need one more gun backrower. Someone like Beaver Menzies or Ben Kennedy. That's not asking too much, is it?
I can't recall Storm signing too many stars (Nate Myles excepted). Nearly all Storm reps stars broke into that level at the Storm, not before joining them.

Storm sign a lot of the very best juniors, and they get a handful of experienced professionals ('journeymen'), and put them all 'into their system' to learn how to support their core superstars. I'd be more than happy for Barrett to emulate that approach.

edit - and I suspect he is.

If we keep the props we have and Paseka kicks on we will have more props than we know what to do with.
Marty
Lawrence
AFB
Perrett
Lussick
Paseka
Maybe one more up and comer and a replacement for BJ if he's moved on. I rate the potential of our big men as being the best in the League. Then we have other big and aggressive guys in Jake, Sirro and Winterstein. Back up in that big but as yet unproven backrower we've signed from the Eels and decent back up in Horo, Bainbridge, Hoppa(hopefully) even Lane.

We have also signed T Sipley for the rest of this year and the next two years

just for more discussion....

Current forward contract status (as I understand it i.e. according to zero tackle & seaeagles website)
Props
Marty 2020
Lawrence 2017
AFB 2018
Perrett 2019
Lussick 2018
T Sipley 2019
Paseka ?

2nd row

Sirro 2018
F Winterstein 2017
L Brown 2018
S lane 2018
Kennedy ???
B Bainbrige 2017

Zane Tetavano (Rorters) & Sitaleki Akauloa (Panters) are both off contract at the end of the year and could be handy signings at a reasonable price

Lock

Jake T

on the fringe ? Jamil Hopoate (not sure of contract)
according to reports we possibly have signed Kelepi Tanginoa, Horo coming back and are chasing Luke Lewis
and to add to that maybe Jorge T and B Parker are being considered for a future move into second row ....

Last edited:
Good point by Kevin ward 777 regarding the projected increase in the salary cap level for ongoing seasons . Despite the drawn out and protracted negotiations it seems that the final figure will be around the 9 . 3 mil. dollar amount and a decent increase on the present cap allowance . Admittedly some N R L contracts already have an incremental cap clause included and all clubs will have the benefit of any increase but there will still be some opportunities for Manly "s recruiting programme. Judging by the previous but unsuccessful reported approach to the panthers back rower C H N. , this would indicate the club"s present priority recruiting intentions . Just don "t think that Luke Lewis or Justin Horo offer any improvement or complement Manly"s current recruitment requirements .

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8