Stadium Plan - Rothfield

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wow they support stadium that has a curtain to block out 30,000 empty seats

At least the light rail will be able to clear their crowds on about 3 hours

What an astronomical waste of money.
No Gladbag says it’s better value despite it being $99 million over budget minus the $49 million for the LED curtain to make it look like the ground is full with only 5,000 Rorters supporters.

I am a member of Sydney FC and we do not need a stadium any bigger than 30K capacity. The money could then be used to urgently upgrade Brooky oval and other suburban grounds that need it. This will be a white elephant, its already behind in construction and it needs to be done ASAP, Common sense Gladys!!

Other than the alleged concrete cancer, what was so bad about the SFS that it had to be torn down and rebuilt.....to basically the same size and configuration it was before?

The biggest problem I saw with the original SFS was simply its size. The concept was great, a rectangle specific stadium that would be better for league, union and soccer than the SCG was. Problem was that for Australia's largest city it was too bloody small. When it opened it only had a capacity of 40,000 which was 10,000 less than the SCG that it effectively replaced. In a city that is effectively dominated by rectangle pitch sports, it was just too small.

At the time it should have been built with a 60,000 capacity (IMO). Although as it turned out, even though they added another 5,500 to the capacity over time even that was too much, especially given at the time they already had ANZ Stadium which held almost twice as many. They rarely even got close to filling it for anything other than high profile union tests or soccer internationals, or for Origin's and Grand Finals. For club football it proved too big most times for the Chooks, Waratah's and Sydney FC. Yet they are rebuilding it in practically the same configuration and capacity.

Tearing the old one down and building one basically the same other than being 30 years more modern doesn't make any sense. For mine now it shouldn't be any bigger than 30 or at best 35,000. Its not going to usurp ANZ, especially when that place is re-configured so to me it just doesn't make sense to build it as big as they are going to. Something more along the lines of what they did with bankwest would have been a much better choice.

Accessibility was the other reason we were given for the knock down, things like the number of female toilets didn’t meet code.

The studies and planning for the new design are done and signed off, there will definitely be no new revision or a “bankwest 2”. To do so would add years to the project, even a state significant one.

Accessibility was the other reason we were given for the knock down, things like the number of female toilets didn’t meet code.

The studies and planning for the new design are done and signed off, there will definitely be no new revision or a “bankwest 2”. To do so would add years to the project, even a state significant one.

It should have been signed off with a capacity similar to bankwest in the first place. It makes no sense to have a stadium of 45,000 capacity essentially as a home venue for three teams who barely average filling just on one third of it.

It'll still be too small for anything big which means most bigger events such as Origin, Grand Finals and high profile soccer and rugby internationals will go to ANZ. And still too big for club games which will ultimately be its main function.

Crowds will probably turn up for the first few Chooks, Waratahs and Sydney FC games, but once the novelty of the new venue wears off they'll be back to averaging around 15,000 in a stadium that holds 45,000.

And it'll cost the state of NSW what, around $800m for their trouble? What a waste.

Last edited:
Other than the alleged concrete cancer, what was so bad about the SFS that it had to be torn down and rebuilt.....to basically the same size and configuration it was before?

Something about what the modern day sports fans apparently want - no wifi or brioche wagyu burgers and craft beer.

You know, the big reasons why we go to watch a game over a two hour period.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6