Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

St George fires coach McGregor

NZEaglesFan

Paul McGregor sacked by the Dragons so this makes 4 coaches sacked this year and who know there may be more. I certainly hope that we may be able to pick up some players who like to coached by a good people manager such as Des.

ricardo

Shame that Barrett has signed with the dogs, he should’ve gone for this gig. The slappee becomes the slapper!!
Exactly what I thought ... could have even rode on Flanno's coat tails for a while.

XV-1

Only one more coached to be sacked this season - I assume sooner than later now after this.

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
With the Illawarra roster he/his players should be much higher up the ladder.
At Manly wouldn't you want: Vaughan, Sims, Frizel, McInnes, Lomax, Dufty, Aitkin....?
They did have a few injuries... and I love that you didnt include Hunt or Norman who account for a large part of their cap and have been sh*t...
Thought Mary was very classy in his statement (as he always is) and wish the big fella well...

nightster

Well worn member
Premium Member
With the Illawarra roster he/his players should be much higher up the ladder.
At Manly wouldn't you want: Vaughan, Sims, Frizel, McInnes, Lomax, Dufty, Aitkin....?
Pretty much all except Sims, mistake ridden

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Paul McGregor sacked by the Dragons so this makes 4 coaches sacked this year and who know there may be more. I certainly hope that we may be able to pick up some players who like to coached by a good people manager such as Des.
Are you forgetting Des got sacked from his last job .... so did Wayne Bennett .... so did Nathan Brown ... so did Michael MacQuire ... Ivan Cleary sacked from the one before, and then re-hired .... Sticky Stuart sacked from Easts, Parra, and cronulla .... so did Paul Green ....

... and 5 of those 7 are Premiership winners ....

Of the current coaches the ones who have never been sacked are ...

Bellamy .. for good reason
Trent Robinson .. for good reason
The **** at Parra
Trent Barrett
Siebold .... but hold all betting slips ..
the first timers at Titans, Newcastle and Cronulla

Getting sacked is highly over-rated in coaching ....

An interesting question is ... has any coach gone on to win a premiership ... after being sacked ?

StuBoot

Premium Member
Are you forgetting Des got sacked from his last job .... so did Wayne Bennett .... so did Nathan Brown ... so did Michael MacQuire ... Ivan Cleary sacked from the one before, and then re-hired .... Sticky Stuart sacked from Easts, Parra, and cronulla .... so did Paul Green ....

The **** at Parra
Trent Barrett

An interesting question is ... has any coach gone on to win a premiership ... after being sacked ?
What's that old saying?

There are two kinds of coaches, the ones that have been sacked and the ones that are waiting to be sacked.

Very rarely does a career coach go through without getting the punt.
Bellamy is odds on to be an exception to the rule.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Super Coach Member

The **** at Parra
Trent Barrett
uuhhhmmmm........are we splitting hairs here ?? As good as my friend, as good as.

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
Depends... do you count resigning/quitting mid-contract while the team is going terribly?

Tim Sheens had a 26% win record at the Cowboys before he resigned in the middle of 2001... and later won the 2005 premiership with the Tigers.

Rusty Cage

Bets on that he picks up job at the bulldogs next year. Him and Barrett are tight I’ve heard.

jbb/james

The **** at Parra
Trent Barrett

Brad arfur was sacked by parra, became manly assistant and was rehired by parra. Pretty sure

Tomay

All the teams coached by St George players from Mary’s era seem to lack that real camaraderie factor you can see in the great teams. It was a reason they never won a premiership as well I believe. Brown seems like the most likely to build that sort of culture.

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23
8 Sharks 20 10 0 10 0 20
9 Titans 20 9 0 11 -117 18