Pre-Game Souths v Manly [Round 4, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

13 12
Accor Stadium
25 Mar 2023 07:35 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read that Tom Burgess will become Souff's most capped player with 212 appearances ...

WTF ... they have been going since 1908 ... and the most number of games by one player is just 211 ...

On the otherhand .... Manly since only 1947 ..
PSS add a zillion games if we were allowed to add the Northern Eagles games to Menzies ..

Just read that Tom Burgess will become Souff's most capped player with 212 appearances ...

WTF ... they have been going since 1908 ... and the most number of games by one player is just 211 ...

PSS add a zillion games if we were allowed to add the Northern Eagles games to Menzies ..

John Sutton says hello 😉

Yeah it seems anomalous but those decades where we had some players racking up big numbers Souths mostly had crap sides so would have turned over players more often I suppose.
Chooks might be similar

Yeah it seems anomalous but those decades where we had some players racking up big numbers Souths mostly had crap sides so would have turned over players more often I suppose.
Chooks might be similar

I have been misled ... apologies to all ... here is the actual Souff's list ..

Most First Grade Games for the Club[edit]​

Games playedPlayerYears played
336John Sutton2004–2019
231Adam Reynolds2012–2021
218Nathan Merritt2002–2003, 2006–2014
211Bob McCarthy1963–1975, 1978
212Tom Burgess2013–

Still pretty average compared to Manly ..

Manly will try and take Mitchell out of the game by kicking for deep touch (ideally) or corners and Souths will do the same to Turbo.

It's close to the line I worry about, with Walker, Mitchell, Graham and Johnston on their LHS up against DCE, Turbo, Koula and Tuipulotu, however, we also have Olakau'atu out there, and I think Souths may be reticent against running at him.

If Tuipulotu stays on his wing, our defence will be okay, however, if not, I can see Johnston having a 'field day'.

Need Bully to really be that point of difference coming of the bench, wasn't quite as effective against Parra as he was against the Bulldogs. Love to see Bully and Ailoai go out there to crash and skittle the opposition and pave the way forward for the likes of Schuster and Tommy to do their stuff.

And Toovs racked up a few games for the NE.

Never forget that rugby league is a simple game for simple men, and that's it's a much easier game to play when you're attacking instead of defending.

For a long time now we have been great with the ball and terrible without it. So we need possession, and we need to use that possession wisely. If we're scoring points, that will lead to more possession and more points, and everything will be sunshine and rainbows (well, maybe not rainbows).

It sounds easy, but chances are things won't go according to plan and there will be a bunch of momentum shifts throughout the game. We will need to withstand those shifts and win the key moments.

Even down on troops, Souths are a good team with big-match experience, and they are very good at playing to their strengths. They will be attacking our edges at every opportunity, and the only way to stop that biting us is by limiting those opportunities.

Can we do it? Will the referees allow us to do it? Remains to be seen.

Still pretty average compared to Manly ..
The standouts are Fred Jones & Bob McCarthy who played more than 200 plus games before the comp was expanded much. Pre 1967, there were only 10 teams with 2 more added in that year. I think an extra 4 teams were added in 1988.

Since 1971, Souths have won only one premiership and at times have been cellar dwellers. Since 1971, Manly have won eight premierships and all players in your list have won more than one, except for Toovey & DCE. Being in successful teams would be the major reason so many of our players have had long careers with Manly. Another possible reason would be increased salaries post Super League.

The standouts are Fred Jones & Bob McCarthy who played more than 200 plus games before the comp was expanded much. Pre 1967, there were only 10 teams with 2 more added in that year. I think an extra 4 teams were added in 1988.

Since 1971, Souths have won only one premiership and at times have been cellar dwellers. Since 1971, Manly have won eight premierships and all players in your list have won more than one, except for Toovey & DCE. Being in successful teams would be the major reason so many of our players have had long careers with Manly. Another possible reason would be increased salaries post Super League.
I think the longevity is related to the fact that Manly is a desirable club and Souffs are sh*t garbage.

Good points, but I think it was only the Broncos and Knights that were added in '88.

Olakau'atu plays on the right for Manly, and I recall seeing Cody Walker on the left for the Bunnies.

Send Olakau'atu at Walker in both attack and defense at every opportunity, and watch Walker mentally disintegrate before the game's done.

Also - send Tuilagi out to stop Colour-me-tangy and eradicate the threat on our left side (Tuilagi is big and strong enough), and get Jurbo and Froggy to stick to Murray and IIias (folding them in half frequently), so that Latrine will have to do all the work - which he won't like.

Sounds like a plan......

easter bunny GIF by Aardman Animations

Never forget that rugby league is a simple game for simple men, and that's it's a much easier game to play when you're attacking instead of defending.

For a long time now we have been great with the ball and terrible without it. So we need possession, and we need to use that possession wisely. If we're scoring points, that will lead to more possession and more points, and everything will be sunshine and rainbows (well, maybe not rainbows).

It sounds easy, but chances are things won't go according to plan and there will be a bunch of momentum shifts throughout the game. We will need to withstand those shifts and win the key moments.

Even down on troops, Souths are a good team with big-match experience, and they are very good at playing to their strengths. They will be attacking our edges at every opportunity, and the only way to stop that biting us is by limiting those opportunities.

Can we do it? Will the referees allow us to do it? Remains to be seen.
100%, Possession.. I've been thinking about this also. Bit like a head to head sprint race, first to the line wins. In NRL terms, outscore(try's) your opponent, and with our attack we have the means to do this, putting teams away ruthlessly.

This is one of those games where DCE needs to kick for touch more so than attacking kicks. We want to slow this one down as much as possible and repeat sets will be crucial if we can get 3 or 4 of those. Once again like last week we are the better team on paper but we also need to limit their offloads and have more desperation in defence particularly with putting pressure on their kickers and a good old fashioned up and in sliding defence to frustrate the Hell out of them. With Turbo patrolling the back we can nullify their short kicking game as they will try and exploit some of our slower guys.
Bunnies are one of the best attacking teams from set restarts. They love scrums and taps. With their depleted middles I think we need to keep the ball in play as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4