Pre-Game Souths v Manly [Round 4, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

13 12
Accor Stadium
25 Mar 2023 07:35 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood what the big deal was. Fights happen in rugby league and players play injured or with broken bones quite often. Any rate, concerning gameday take no prisoners manly, belt them, they do not like the tough stuff souths.

Arrow is confirmed out for South’s for the Manly clash after a set back with his recovery.
We have to beat them up the middle as they are missing a few big boppers
That's a bonus having Arrow out, bit like the Parra game they're missing some big forwards, one to the new concussion rules as well.

Rabbitoh's forward pack seems to be quite depleted according to one of their posts...

Hame Sele will miss the clash under concussion protocols while Shaquai Mitchellcould be set for an extended period on the sidelines after suffering a suspected broken foot in the loss to the Sydney Roosters. Jacob Host and Daniel Suluka-Fifita will be available to come back in and Jai Arrow(hamstring) could return but only if he’s “100 per cent”, according to coach Jason Demetriou. And that appears unlikely, with veteran rugby league reporter Danny Weidler telling The Big Sports Breakfast that he has heard Arrow “re-tweaked” his hamstring issue.

Gee that's the first time I've seen or heard of that. It's always been portrayed as an unprovoked act of thuggery by Bucknell but as you say the footage shows otherwise. The Manly bloke just landed the better shot, so he's forever the villain and Sattler forever the hero. How frightening was the game back in those days!
The truth finally emerges!
Sleepy has been made out to be an evil man, but he had been told, before the game, that Freddy Jones had been singled out to be smashed early. Sleepy merely was defending his Captain.

I think bozo meant more to our players because he was basically still running the club when he died. I think sattler has been living in qld for the last 50 years, so while he is a legend for souths, he’s a historical figure, a bit abstract.
also fulton passed away on the morning of game day

Anyone see the face to face show on Fox with Jake Duke?
His guest was Liam Knight. A really good, brutally honest interview.
And of course who did he mention in his misspent youth?
The Trbojevic family of course. I won’t spoil it, but it was funny when Duke
asked him to name his favourite Trbojevic from favourite to least.
Fortunately for us Liam won’t be back till mid-season.
I agree with others though, it was always going to be a tough match, but with
John Sattlers passing, it is going to be emotional there, and I just hope we stay competitive.
A very insightful interview and I agree it was brutally honest. His youth sure was misspent and sad really...what a life to grow up in and no wonder he went off the rails. So good he's woken up and getting the support he needs. Yes, had to laugh about the Trbojevich family.

Saturday's game is going to be very tough under the circumstances...

Showed some real spirit to stay with them last season and a man down for the majority of the game , just trying to recall if Lateral was playing for them . Anyway just have to be or try to be up for every game and to avoid those drop off 's in defence , Eels took some good advantage of it and almost certain Souths will with any similar repetition . Sure that there will be plenty of attention pre game to try and counter those usually effective Souths wider running plays but with Turbo back . Manly can be threatening as well to trouble them all over the park . Very winnable game providing Manly have their defence in order and their completion rates and field position are up to par . Hopefully for Koula to get some better opportunities, Tuilagi to be just that bit better and Tui if he is picked again , to find some improvement somehow

Showed some real spirit to stay with them last season and a man down for the majority of the game , just trying to recall if Lateral was playing for them . Anyway just have to be or try to be up for every game and to avoid those drop off 's in defence , Eels took some good advantage of it and almost certain Souths will with any similar repetition . Sure that there will be plenty of attention pre game to try and counter those usually effective Souths wider running plays but with Turbo back . Manly can be threatening as well to trouble them all over the park . Very winnable game providing Manly have their defence in order and their completion rates and field position are up to par . Hopefully for Koula to get some better opportunities, Tuilagi to be just that bit better and Tui if he is picked again , to find some improvement somehow
It's all about keeping our errors and penalties down to a minimum, the boys need to be aware that the ref will be leaning Souths way on the 50-50 calls. We strike early, that'll keep the crowd out of it for a while. We now have an attack that everyone fears, lets put this into practice on Sat night.

It's all about keeping our errors and penalties down to a minimum, the boys need to be aware that the ref will be leaning Souths way on the 50-50 calls. We strike early, that'll keep the crowd out of it for a while. We now have an attack that everyone fears, lets put this into practice on Sat night.
Doesn "t take much to be on the back foot for any side if the discipline and controlled play breaks down in any significant way . Sure that all sides recognize it , just have to have the attitude and application to avoid or largely minimize it . Some real hunger can make a side truly competitive as well , especially if there is some serious ability in a side . Manly have the ability , hunger and desire can make a serious difference also without doubt .

Doesn "t take much to be on the back foot for any side if the discipline and controlled play breaks down in any significant way . Sure that all sides recognize it , just have to have the attitude and application to avoid or largely minimize it . Some real hunger can make a side truly competitive as well , especially if there is some serious ability in a side . Manly have the ability , hunger and desire can make a serious difference also without doubt .
Our game can be so cruel at times, all's it takes is a little bobble or fumble in the play the ball...then BOOM !! they score a try on the back of it, then another. Once it starts it's hard to arrest the shift in possession.

Souffs had the rub of the green and momentum early last week and looked like they would run away with it but once JWH came on and fired them up the momentum turned,
Latrell and Walker lost their heads and then the ref shifted accordingly.
Can our bench do the same without getting caught up in the niggle?
Keppie and Aloiai really need to be disciplined but tough in that regard.

I find watching Souths the game is usually pretty simple. If you give them field position that left edge of Walker, Mitchell and Johnston will carve you up.

If you deny gifting them field position and then also make Latrell Mitchell chase kicks and make him do extra defensive work then Latrell will get gassed and then they offer very little.

I know this applies to most teams BUT it's magnified against Souths.Unfortunately for us we often reserve our least disciplined performances for Souths and we get dusted. They are not a team you try and razzle dazzle with, just grind them down in the forwards and use kick chase methodical football and back your defence. Thats why the Storm and Penrith absolutely own Souths.... and we don't.

Keep it simple boys. Straight down the middle first.

I didn't think we were much show before Satts but now the NRL sympathy script will be well and truly written. Expect us to get murdered in penalties and six agains which is the usual when we play the vermin. Lucky if we get within 12.

South’s are absolutely going to be ‘up’ for this game, with Sattler’s sad passing. They will be playing on a lot of emotion and will play the full 80.

I think we’ll dominate the early stages, however, if we drop off like last week, they’ll roll over the top of us.

It’s going to be a great game, played with a lot of emotion, and I think we could see quite a few sin bins, and maybe a send off (Cody Walker comes to mind).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4