Pre-Game Souths v Manly [Round 4, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

13 12
Accor Stadium
25 Mar 2023 07:35 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the same team that beat the Eels be selected for this game? Or, for example, will the team be tweaked to counter Souths' left edge?

My guess is that barring injuries, the status quo will remain. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if Lawton takes Burbo's place on the bench.
I like your way of thinking!

It's all pretty simple if we are to win this one. Up and in sliding defence close to our line with Turbo patrolling the back. Wrap up the ball and limit their offloads at all costs. A good steady, patient & controlled game in attack. Slow the game down as much as possible with repeat sets and kicks into touch. Croker needs to just keep it simple - no kicks, no errors, good passing. If we get the first 40 right and grind them down we can win the arm wrestle in the first 15 minutes of the second half. Then we would have earned our right to throw the ball around more and open them up with our speedsters.

I expect this to be the game where Ben makes his mark with some good impact off the bench. We also need some of our big boys to do the hard yards coming out of our own 30. With the size of our pack we should very rarely be kicking from inside our 40 on the last tackle.

I must also add that Sipley is breathing down the neck of Ben. As it stands he would provides more impact from the bench any day of the week. Surely Ben knows if he loses his bench spot he would find it very hard to earn his spot back. Obviously he is aware of this and I think he will start proving his worth beginning this week.

Less errors like knock-ons ,6-agains ,forward passes ,dumb penalties and try kicking away from the opposition when we kick down field .We seem to struggle whenever one of those things happen especially trying to defend that extra set we give away .If we minimize these errors ,we will be too good for the bunnies .Let's go Manly .

Less errors like knock-ons ,6-agains ,forward passes ,dumb penalties and try kicking away from the opposition when we kick down field .We seem to struggle whenever one of those things happen especially trying to defend that extra set we give away .If we minimize these errors ,we will be too good for the bunnies .Let's go Manly .
Yep, huge part of the game, how often do we see try's scored of a penalties and 6 agains, they usually ends up being the catalyst for big momentum shifts in games. We had 11 errors on Thursday night, cutting our errors by half would go a long way for more comfortable wins.

We haven't beaten Souths since round 4 2019 (great arvo at Brookie) and since then they've had the complete wood on us. To be fair we've only had Turbo in one of the games since but that was the prelim where they did a pretty good job of shutting him down. These are the sort of games we need the rest of the team to step up so this is a good opportunity to make a statement and prove we are a different side this year, you would think Seibs would be keen to get one over his former team too.

Let's also not forget our horrific record at Homebush as well, lost 12 of our last 13 there since the 2013 prelim. A lot of things against us but hopefully we are up for the challenge

I must also add that Sipley is breathing down the neck of Ben. As it stands he would provides more impact from the bench any day of the week. Surely Ben knows if he loses his bench spot he would find it very hard to earn his spot back. Obviously he is aware of this and I think he will start proving his worth beginning this week.
Yep, competition for bench spots will hot up no doubt, with Sipley, the Lawman, S Fainu and dare I say it Fafita, Burbo and Bully. Speaking of Bullemore, didn't get many minutes off the bench, but I guess we'll all know in tomorrows Tues team pick.

Yep, competition for bench spots will hot up no doubt, with Sipley, the Lawman, S Fainu and dare I say it Fafita, Burbo and Bully. Speaking of Bullemore, didn't get many minutes off the bench, but I guess we'll all know in tomorrows Tues team pick.
Certainly is some competition for some of those bench spots and all squad members fit and available . Despite all of the controversy with Fifita , fully fit would have to be in serious contention . Bully and Keppie have done well on recent performances , Burbo trying hard and putting in , Lawman still looks in favor , really have to try and accommodate Weeks somehow . Gordon most likely in the frame in some time . S Fainu , a player on the rise , Sipley certainly prepared to have a dig A long and demanding season ,going to need the depth factor but does add another dimension with some definite quality vying for some playing roles

Certainly is some competition for some of those bench spots and all squad members fit and available . Despite all of the controversy with Fifita , fully fit would have to be in serious contention . Bully and Keppie have done well on recent performances , Burbo trying hard and putting in , Lawman still looks in favor , really have to try and accommodate Weeks somehow . Gordon most likely in the frame in some time . S Fainu , a player on the rise , Sipley certainly prepared to have a dig A long and demanding season ,going to need the depth factor but does add another dimension with some definite quality vying for some playing roles
All in all Al, a good headache for Sieb's to have.

Not sure about a reasonable game, as he butchered an easy try in the corner by not using his right arm, therefore keeping Gutherson away from his put down. Also dropped a bomb late which kept Parra in it till the end.
If the jamming is coached then that’s another issue, bit otherwise that side of the field is a real weakness. Maybe better off switching centres to also make us of Koula’s speed.

Not sure about a reasonable game, as he butchered an easy try in the corner by not using his right arm, therefore keeping Gutherson away from his put down. Also dropped a bomb late which kept Parra in it till the end.
If the jamming is coached then that’s another issue, bit otherwise that side of the field is a real weakness. Maybe better off switching centres to also make us of Koula’s speed.
I am so confused why he is not coached to carry the ball under the right arm if playing on the right wing .He would not have scored an easier try than that one on Thursday night .If the jamming is coached ,then he is way off the mark .He tackles head on well and his hit ups are good .Also needs to work on his catching the high ball in the air .I still think he is better than what we have before Saab's return .

Think what's keeping him in the team is his hit up value thus giving the forwards a breather, but lately not been hitting the line, with no real effort to break through tackles.

I was a little surprised Burbo got first go at a bench spot ahead of some others but he has versatility on his side. Sipley for example can do a limited stretch in the middle but that's all. Burbo could fill in on an edge as centre or 2nd row, and at a pinch play long minutes or even cover the middle, though that's not his forte.
I expect Fifita or Sipley to get their chance as soon as one of our middles is hurt or suspended (usually doesn't take long) :eek:

I am so confused why he is not coached to carry the ball under the right arm if playing on the right wing .He would not have scored an easier try than that one on Thursday night .If the jamming is coached ,then he is way off the mark .He tackles head on well and his hit ups are good .Also needs to work on his catching the high ball in the air .I still think he is better than what we have before Saab's return .
Agree he should have had the ball in his right, the thing to remember he played most of his footy as a left centre, he is relatively new to the wing position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4