Post-Game Discussion Souths v Manly [Finals Week 3, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Rabbitohs
Vs
Sea Eagles
32 Suncorp Stadium
24 Sep 2021 19:50
75th minute

Match Stats

From Post #1

FULL TIME SCORE

Souths: 36
Manly: 16

240515230_10159361048315993_3301876617152842893_n.jpg

Pic: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Facebook Page

Team Victory Song:

c620536e7a3a92d0858c6791b2d697cf.gif

Pressers:

Post Match Interviews: TBA

Match Report:

Match Highlights:

Extended Match Highlights:

Full Match Replay Link:

Manly Tries:

Game Pics & Video Clips:
Keppie exits early after concussion | Fox Sports Videos

Press Print & Video Articles:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well spoken press conference

Agree, it was a lost opportunity but a learning experience for our side. On our day we had a side that could’ve beaten anyone but we just couldn’t start well in the big finals games with all the pressure on. Errors just became too dominant in our games and our defence would often lapse for 5 or so minute periods.

Showed some resolve early today but once it became apparent things were not going our way (no try obstruction ruling) we stopped the fight for 10 minutes and that probably cost us our season. Still proud of the boys and excited to see Davey return, Bullemors addition, Schuster, Burbo and Olakautau’s deveopment, continuation of the supersub role of Walker and who knows, maybe some more signings or a sneaky Fainu return (but don’t bank on it). Centres probably need to be looked at although to be fair Harper was playing busted at the end of the season.

Like the week 1 final, we started off on the wrong foot.

Losing Keppie was a major setback and I am still bewildered that Klein did not stop the game so that Keppie could be treated. What a farce NRL!!! Duty of care my ass!!!

For 15 minutes we tried to stay with them and our early defense was promising snuffing out their left edge attack. What was a recurring theme was our inability to keep the ball at crucial moments, We are a team that scores amazing tries and too often we were guilty of impatience with the ball and all night they feasted on our mistakes.

The 15th to 30th minute for me was where the match was decided. Souths get a fluky try from a kick that 3 of our guys did not deal with and then Tom puts Rueben away for a great try that is disallowed for an obstruction when it was obvious that Reynolds was not in the same county and would never have stopped Tom. Souths try number 2 came straight off the back of that call. Tom then gets over the line and doesn't score and that really knocked the stuffing out of us as again the Vermin score on the back of it when we do not deal with a 6th tackle play and allow Cook to kick for Walker. So instead of 12-6 down potentially we are 18-0 down and criminally we give up a try on half time and we are out of the game.

The 2nd half starts with promise as a well constructed try is scored by Rueben and what is then needed is solid sets to get back into the grind. What we again did is give up the ball twice and they score again and its pretty much game over. The rest of the 2nd half is Souths pretty much going through the motions and we score a couple of spectacular consolation tries.

I want to say that I am very proud of what this team did this year. After that awful start and get to a grand final qualifier was some effort.

We have a lot of young players who now have experience and understand the levels that are needed to be reached to win.

We need to be more game aware and we rely far too much on Tommy. I think a key difference tonight is the composure that Reynolds has compared to DCE. We did not lose tonight because of this but it was telling.

The big difference for me tonight was Cook and Murray, they dominated the ruck and were a constant threat all night and we did not get any thrust from dummy half and the two finals we lost we were exposed by our opposite 9s.

Its been a great season to watch, so sad that it was so far away for most of us to watch live but Covid ensured it.

There are a lot of players who really stood up this year.

Tommy was outstanding and hopefully wins the Dally M

I thought that Reuben and Saad did really well scoring so many tries and being young players they have so much improvement in them.

Harper did really well for most of the season and Parker was solid. You saw a cameo of what Suli can do and if hes in the mood he is destructive with the ball, its his defense that too often is his Achilles heel!

Kieran and DCE had a vintage year and guided the team around pretty well. The knowledge that they are passing on to the younger boys is invaluable.

I thought Jake got better as the season went on and he is now at the peak of his powers.

Our young back rowers, Oka and Josh and both works in progress and the potential is frightening for these two young guns.

I loved what I saw from Marty, Keppie, Taniela and Sipley. They gave us so much thrust up front and If Josh can get his fitness back and sort out his discipline he will get better and better.

Croker did fantastic at hooker. I really didn't rate him and he proved me wrong with his consistency.

Special mention to Dylan Walker who changed games from the bench. Lawton who contributed solidly and all the other boys who put together a really good team effort.

Tonight was a disappointing way to finish and in my view a missed opportunity. Sometimes you need to learn lessons like we had over the last few weeks to improve and I am sure they will.

The joy that boys showed playing as a team was so nice and the spirit was willing.

What Manly need to do in the next season is ensure that our best and worst performances are much closer as its too rocks and diamonds at the moment.

I so look forward to seeing this team progress next year and hopefully a few shrewd signings will compliment was we have.

Fantastic season and look out NRL in 2022!!!

Hmmm Disappointing game in that If we weren’t smashed in possession we would’ve been a big chance.South’s ain’t that good. Cook and Reynolds. That’s it in attack. They were opened out wide pretty easily.

Great season to watch we probably didn’t have enough hard fought wins to steel us for finals.

I’m bitterly disappointed, I could handle if we lost and we were in it but to not even fire a shot in a prelim is very deflating.

Just didn’t have players who Knew what it takes in a prelim to drag us back in. And we made so many mistakes.

I’m really surprised that a des coached team did not address very obvious shortcomings
It's deflating as we didn't fire a shot over two of our finals appearances... you could almost argue three as Roosters limped into the finals and were barely cannon fodder for us.

Before the game I spent a bit of time watching the highlights of some our games v Parra, the dogs and the titans (when we came back after half time)

So much fun to watch and a great reminder of where we have come.

On the completion rate talk - there was an analysis done by Des that there is no correlation between successful teams and completion rates

This has been floating around league stats chat for a while as well
Hard to believe there is no correlation between dropping the ball and not winning. What has the professor been smoking? Almost every pre-match interview he speaks about ball control and making the most of our chances.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4