Post-Game Discussion Souths v Manly [Finals Week 3, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Rabbitohs
Vs
Sea Eagles
32 Suncorp Stadium
24 Sep 2021 19:50
75th minute

Match Stats

Before the game I spent a bit of time watching the highlights of some our games v Parra, the dogs and the titans (when we came back after half time)

So much fun to watch and a great reminder of where we have come.

On the completion rate talk - there was an analysis done by Des that there is no correlation between successful teams and completion rates

This has been floating around league stats chat for a while as well
It's almost like the team went out of their way to prove this theory by minimising their completion rates tonight. Just forgot to win the game in the process

Onwards and upwards for next year. None of us expected so much this year but we will be stronger for the experience. Bring on 2022
yeah... nah. If we bought into that hard lesson theory we would not have put in that performance tonight after the Storm game two weeks ago. We need some additions and changes for next season if we are going to progress any further.

Tom has had a brilliant year but has had a few uncharacteristic handling errors at key times and that try he botched not passing to Saab really impacted our momentum.

He’ll be filthy with himself all off season.
I’ve always thought Tom’s hands are the weakest part of his game. Yes, they’ve improved since 2015 as you’d expect they would, but it’s still an issue clearly.

I’ve always thought Tom’s hands are the weakest part of his game. Yes, they’ve improved since 2015 as you’d expect they would, but it’s still an issue clearly.
That’s one thing I’m afraid Snake can’t teach him as he had the silkiest hands and was a freak in terms of ball handling.

Just got back from Suncorp, had a few consoling JB's with fellow supporters at some bar on Caxton St. Ended up watching the replay, you miss a lot of the play watching from the stands. Firstly everything that could go wrong did go wrong, nearly 60-40 possession against us will not win us any games let alone Souths. We shot ourselves in the foot again, bit like the Melb game only worse, errors once again were many, 15. If we had those 2 disallowed try's who knows we could of gone on to win the game. Anyway heads up, we'll learn from this, and look forward to next season.

Proud of the season, and we should all be. Don't let this finals series make you forget how much of a journey this season was. We cried, complained, and whinged in that first month and we cheered, and screamed, and wore that jersey with pride ever since then. It's been a hell of a ride, probably my favourite non-premiership season. 2019 is also a shout.

But we building something nicely, we have the young core, we have the immortal at number 1 only getting better, and we got a premiership coach. We gotta build around and create this into a new era where we maintain reliable success over the years and jag some premierships on the way as well. That's what I feel is coming for us. 05-14 was our last era that we enjoyed. 21-??? is the next era we will all embrace. Be proud Manly fans!

It does hurt a lot because the Rabbits were there for the taking. How easily did we score points against them. Literally shelling peas, our attack was too good for them. We got the attack, we just need to know how to build pressure, be disciplined and also complete our sets. Rugby League basics. Defence also needs a big working on, not just goal-line edge defence, but I feel our line speed is so far behind the top teams. Line speed is so important and you do factor in match fitness, but we just got rolled quite easily because of our lack of line speed throughout the game.

I wonder what would've happened if Suli didn't impede Reynolds, or if Tom held onto the ball for that 2nd disallowed try. I really believed we could beat them. Even after we came out and scored a try in 5 minutes within the second half, we were building for more, what if Haumole didn't try push the offload and kept the ball? So many what ifs, but we shot ourselves in the foot. It reminded me of the first game of Melbourne this year, we had the attack and blueprint to score tries and put ourselves in the position to maybe win, but in the end our own lack of discipline and patience let us down and the better team was too classy and experienced for us. We gotta learn man, and I'm sure we will.

Proud of the season, and we should all be. Don't let this finals series make you forget how much of a journey this season was. We cried, complained, and whinged in that first month and we cheered, and screamed, and wore that jersey with pride ever since then. It's been a hell of a ride, probably my favourite non-premiership season. 2019 is also a shout.

But we building something nicely, we have the young core, we have the immortal at number 1 only getting better, and we got a premiership coach. We gotta build around and create this into a new era where we maintain reliable success over the years and jag some premierships on the way as well. That's what I feel is coming for us. 05-14 was our last era that we enjoyed. 21-??? is the next era we will all embrace. Be proud Manly fans!
Coming 4th is exceptional, and as I said to a mate of mine, everything else is a bonus.

Hope we build off this season because there is so much potential here. I just think of 2017 and 2019 when we saw glimpses of hope and big stepping stones but the season after both of them we fumbled it really badly. It's so important we back up and use this season as a boost. Premiership teams aren't built overnight, and this is a core of players that I'm confident will have a ring in the next few years.

Coming 4th is exceptional, and as I said to a mate of mine, everything else is a bonus.
Yep agreed, even after we finished fourth, in context to the finals, I had expected us to come prelims minimum, I believed we deserved to be the last 4 standing. And we reached that goal, do wish we did ourselves more justice in the prelim, but it's all a learning curve and the start to being a premiership contender year in and out.

Hope we build off this season because there is so much potential here. I just think of 2017 and 2019 when we saw glimpses of hope and big stepping stones but the season after both of them we fumbled it really badly. It's so important we back up and use this season as a boost. Premiership teams aren't built overnight, and this is a core of players that I'm confident will have a ring in the next few years.
This is the critical aspect. As fans we ride game by game over a season... but, the real championships are won over the longer term picture. Yep, we had an outstanding turn around this year and a lot of wonderful entertaining footy. That said, we need to show learning and growth from this season and improve those key areas we are behind in, and continue to grow and improve next season. The glimpses in the recent years, like 2019, we failed at this.

Just wanna say, the way we ripped open Rabbits with our tries and our disallowed tries, if Melbourne does go into the GF as they should, I am genuinely concerned our 08' record could get beaten. Like we scored some pretty easy points, imagine what Melbourne could do them, especially a Rabbits side with a lot of players never played a big game. They could possibly have a 2020 Penrith GF bed**** and this time Melbourne won't let them mount a comeback. I was scared last year when Melbourne was up 26-0, and with the way blowouts have been, even in this year's finals series, I am a bit nervy about that.

I do wanna see Benji win another one though.

Last edited:
This is the critical aspect. As fans we ride game by game over a season... but, the real championships are won over the longer term picture. Yep, we had an outstanding turn around this year and a lot of wonderful entertaining footy. That said, we need to show learning and growth from this season and improve those key areas we are behind in, and continue to grow and improve next season. The glimpses in the recent years, like 2019, we failed at this.
It makes you appreciate how great our club was and the system was when we were reliably successful through 2005 to 2014, to have created that into an era of dominance. We got the young core in the squad to replicate something like that again.

Yep agree with this.

2022 is a crucial year for us in my eyes . In both 2017 and 2019 we never really took the pain of those finals and followed it up the following year as a club in terms of growth.

One good year followed up by nothing. I feel this year it's different in that des will be the coach next year and he will be smarting after that lose.

The pressure will be on Dec to not allow us to fall in the heap like 2018 and 2020 did.

Even though most are saying we are just going to continue this run next year we are going to have to improve a hell of lot in defence and playing better consistent footy to be any chance in 2022.

I think we are a few years off competitng for the title as a genuine title contender.

For me most crucial off season for our club in a number of years.

I agree with you.

And to me this is why our off season is most crucial for our club in a number of years. We either will grow from this season, have the hunger and desire to want to achieve better in 2022 , playing more consistent footy and close the gap from our worse to best performances.

Or we could like in 2018 and 2020 after playing finals footy the year before just be satisfied with that and not improve as a playing group / have a poor season.

Last edited:
I agree with you.

And to me this is why our off season is most crucial for our club in a number of years. We either will grow from this season, have the hunger and desire to want to achieve better in 2022 , playing more consistent footy and cloee the gap from our worse to best performances.

Or we could like in 2018 and 2020 after playing finals footy the year before just be satisfied with that and not improve as a playing group / have a poor season.
2018 - Barrett was coach. He had let Blake Green go at the end of 2017. Nothing to do with Hasler.

2020 - very disrupted season. I don’t see Manly-Warringah going backwards in a big way next year.

Today’s a new day and the disappointment is becoming bearable. Oh well, not to be. I made the comment after last week’s game, that a top 4 finish was a terrific achievement. Watching the game pan out the way it did last night really sucked, but it is what it is.
The inexperience showed, particularly in the 1st half to not control the ball better, after giving up the first 2 trys. Once it blew out to a 4 try lead, it was over.
On the bright side, plenty of really good young players and there’s a lot to like about our chances next year. Onwards and upwards

Until next year. I just wish we had more respect for the ball. Had a feeling it would end like this especially the way south’s played their last game. Hope next year some of our players mature up a little because that is clearly what needs to happen. All the best everyone until next year. See ya.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8