Souths approach Manly for Monnaghan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

Souths asked about Monaghan: Manly
August 1, 2005 - 8:54PM

Manly chief executive Pat Wilson says the NRL club has knocked back an approach by South Sydney for Sea Eagles skipper Michael Monaghan.

Channel Nine reported that Manly had offered the Sea Eagles halfback to the Rabbitohs during a phone call last Monday.

The Nine report said Souths chief executive Shane Richardson confirmed he had received a call from Manly "offering Souths Monaghan's services".

It said there was a "behind the scenes push to oust him (Monaghan)" by Manly after signing Melbourne halfback Matt Orford for 2006 and that the Rabbitohs were "prepared to look at Monaghan".

However, Wilson said: "that's not the case, we are disappointed in the story.

"There was a call from Shane Richardson but we did not offer Michael to Souths - we've had no discussions with Michael or his manager on this issue.

"There was an approach made by Souths."

Asked if Souths were interested in Monaghan, Wilson said: "Of course they are...but we've had no further discussions on the matter."

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said Monaghan was contracted to the Sea Eagles for another three years and "that's the end of it".

"We have not approached Souths about Monaghan so basically that's the end of the story," he said.

"As far as we are concerned he has signed for three years with us and that's the end of it from our point of view.

"I don't know where this rumour has started but I can say to you that Michael Monaghan is contracted with us for three more years."

Monaghan's manager Jim Banaghan said the Nine story was "crap".

Banaghan said he was not surprised Souths were interested in Monaghan after Bulldogs pivot Braith Anasta and Orford knocked back lucrative Rabbitohs offers recently.

"Souths are desperate to get players, mate. When you have two people knock back half a million dollar offers you will do anything to try and get a player," he said.

"Souths want Monaghan, Monaghan doesn't want Souths."

Meanwhile, Manly coach Des Hasler has slapped a media ban on his players after the Sea Eagles slumped to their fifth straight NRL loss - a heartbreaking 26-24 home defeat to North Queensland on Sunday.

The former ladder leaders have slumped to seventh on the NRL ladder with five regular season games left to make a finals run.

Where there is smoke there is fire. I am sure we have not heard the last of this. Perhaps they won't announce that monnaghan is leaving until after we are definately out of the semis.

If there isn't another story written about Manly this year I will be happy. Someone has a big mouth and keeps feeding this crap to the Telegraph and Media. For goodness sakes Shut up and do the talking on the field!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4