Sour Grapes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Juz_04 link said:
Perry was ruled out with the flu according to the match report in the Tele today.

I was wondering why he was out.

willstyles link said:
Didn't play. He's way too young to throw into the top grade at any rate. It would do more harm to his career than good.

I am of the opinion if you are good enough you are old enough but I guess you are probably best to be cautious.  Allthough was he not being seriously considered for the WCC team?  Or was that just someone on here talking crap?

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
[quote author=Juz_04 link=topic=179640.msg212700#msg212700 date=1237073936]
Perry was ruled out with the flu according to the match report in the Tele today.

Oh well
only ones happy would be dogs and Gallop
[/quote]

and Clint Newton...

Garts link said:
I did not see anything that would say he was \"clearly\" out. I actually thought the grounding was the reason for no try. 

I'm with you Garts. To me the foot & the line was very borderline but to me it was the loss of control of the ball when grounding was the reason for the no try.

It was written in the stars that Manly would lose this week and the media influenced sheep from the rest of the rugby league world would celebrate. We're going to be under fire all year. All we can do is stick it out and stick by the team. The media frenzy will slightly fade but it wont go away. Sporting injuries will repair and combinations will click. It was good to see that Des and the players did not use the previous week from hell as an excuse for losing the game.

Garts link said:
[quote author=willstyles link=topic=179640.msg212714#msg212714 date=1237075414]

Didn't play. He's way too young to throw into the top grade at any rate. It would do more harm to his career than good.

I am of the opinion if you are good enough you are old enough but I guess you are probably best to be cautious.  Allthough was he not being seriously considered for the WCC team?  Or was that just someone on here talking crap?
[/quote]

I don't think Hoppa was ever seriously considered. They were only ever going to take a 23 man squad, and if you look over the squad, whose place was he going to take? I think the speculation that Hoppa was going to get a gig came about because one of the papers said "expect to see a surprise in the WCC squad". In the end, the "surprise" was either Foran or Jared WH (or Morwood!).

As for "if you're good enough, you're old enough", that's fine - but in that case, Hoppa's not good enough. He an exceptional talent, and he'll star for Manly - maybe even as early as next year - but he's only played 3 toyota cup games for god's sake. Give him half a season in the youth comp and then consider him for a game or two off the bench towards the end of the year.

Only game one for the year with a few new faces due to injury/suspension etc. i wouldn't be too worried at this stage.

willstyles link said:
[quote author=Garts link=topic=179640.msg212697#msg212697 date=1237073613]
How did Hoppa go last night in the 20's at fullback?

Bailey was ordinary (perhaps very ordinary), but at full strength he will know his role better. The way Manly plays, he is never going to be playing a traditional 5/8 role - Matt Orford will always be the leading man, with Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Killer and Bailey all slotting in at various points to play second receiver. Without Snake, the whole system falls apart (a bit). Robbo is a tremendous winger, but he either doesn't know the plays where Snake chimes into second receiver on the right hand side of the field to create an overlap, or he doesn't have the ability to read the play as it unfolds. I'll guess it is the former, but the sooner Brett comes back the better off we'll be.

And I'll still tip Manly next weekend.
[/quote]

Yeah Stewart plays a huge role in our attack. We always struggle without him.
Bailey will take some time to get used to the team but I think we look better with Lyon at centre. I'd much rather give it three months to see how Bailey goes than put Neuman into centre or whatever we'd have to do.
Did Rose play for the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles or whatever they are a couple of days ago? We had a lot of excuses and the weather was atrocious, but it was still a dissapointing performance. I just hope we can get it together before Brett gets back.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=179640.msg212713#msg212713 date=1237075207]

Oh well
[/quote]

and Clint Newton...
[/quote]
hahahah your dick

word is all the girls love Joshy

hes a pretty nice bloke had a couple of chats with him at leeds.

was a pretty funny convo
gc: we used to hate you when you were a knight but your a top bloke now :)

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=179640.msg212724#msg212724 date=1237077575]
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=179640.msg212713#msg212713 date=1237075207]

Oh well
[/quote]

and Clint Newton...
[/quote]
hahahah your dick

word is all the girls love Joshy

hes a pretty nice bloke had a couple of chats with him at leeds.

was a pretty funny convo
gc: we used to hate you when you were a knight but your a top bloke now :)
[/quote]

He should make hay while the sun shines.  The girls will dry up when he looks like Chris Handy.

Cletus link said:
[quote author=willstyles link=topic=179640.msg212714#msg212714 date=1237075414]
[quote author=Garts link=topic=179640.msg212697#msg212697 date=1237073613]
Matt Orford will always be the leading man, with Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Killer and Bailey all slotting in at various points to play second receiver. Without Snake, the whole system falls apart (a bit). Robbo is a tremendous winger, but he either doesn't know the plays where Snake chimes into second receiver on the right hand side of the field to create an overlap, or he doesn't have the ability to read the play as it unfolds.

[/quote]

Yeah Stewart plays a huge role in our attack. We always struggle without him.
Bailey will take some time to get used to the team but I think we look better with Lyon at centre.... I just hope we can get it together before Brett gets back.
[/quote]

You don't simply replace world class gamebreakers. Robbo is the realistic pick for 1 at present, but that's why imho we should be suspending the bailey experiment temporarily and trying to boost attacking penetration in other ways. maybe bailey at 13, hall as more impact off the bench like last year... the centres? neuman and matai.

In my humble opinion Robbo is not a fullback.  Surely there's another in the whole Manly squad to pick from.  I'd like to see someone zippier there who can see an opportunity and flash onto it even if it means a few errors..  Robbo is a class winger full stop and should be played there.  Saturday night was the first time we've played under two refs, other teams had their two trials, so I'd consider Saturday night as our first trial game.  I thought we played like it was too. 

Flip link said:
Look, i know its being cheap, we lost the game and its just sour grapes (titled as such)

But who else can stand when a wooden spoon team throws their hands up at the end of the game beating previous years GF team?

It just S**ts me, its like woohoo, round one win, F**k yeah, we beat the best team yadda yadda after a week of the biggest S**t storm since coffs harbour.

Also, hasem elmasri. S**t footballer, good goal kicker. Disgrace to the game that  guy who can only score goals is counted as a points scorer along side players like johns, stewart and the like who add so much more than two minutes to kick goal after the skillful players give us what we want to see.

End rant

/sourgrapes

LOL! so true.

From SATURDAY ANALYSIS SMH
Expect Moore maulings from new Dogs
Greg Prichard | March 16, 2009

1st part was about the Dogs
Now, where are Manly going? Coach Des Hasler and captain Matt Orford went to great lengths to say the off-field drama enveloping the club was not an excuse for the loss to the Bulldogs, but they have to say that. Anyone could see it had affected them - the steam went out of the Sea Eagles as soon as the Bulldogs took the lead - but if the coach and captain start identifying it as an excuse, then other players might start using it as a crutch.

Last week must have been extremely difficult for Hasler and the playing group, trying to prepare for a season-opening game against a background of the police charging star fullback Brett Stewart with sexual assault, and the NRL standing him down from playing in the first four rounds, the league fining Manly $100,000, and second-rower Anthony Watmough being disciplined by the club for getting involved in a physical confrontation with a sponsor.

But, unless there is some other dramatic development attached to what has already gone on, it should be a bit easier for them to concentrate this week. The big problem facing Hasler and the team, though, is how to adapt to Stewart's continued unavailability. They lose a huge amount of thrust when he is not there, because of his great kick returns, the way he chimes into the back line out wide and his support play down the centre of the field.

Strictly speaking, Manly can't cover for Stewart not being there - he's too good. They are going to have to adjust their play and sacrifice using a few options that can really only work when he is there. They are going to have to rely on playing tighter and winning tough, in a bid to stay in the hunt through the early rounds.

fair analysis but honestly i am not too concerned atm considering last year we lost 2 out of our first 3 games of the season. We seem to take a couple of games to gel then after that it will run allot more smoother for us.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6