Something positive

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Personally, I'm willing to give Cartwright a go.

He may not be an old Manly boy and yes he was average as coach of the Titans.....but the truth is that our roster is stronger than anything he had to work with on the Gold Coast.

Look who he had then compared to now. At the Tits his star players were an aging Scott Prince, Preston Campbell and Matt Rogers who was on a rugby league comeback after spending 5 years playing union, Nate Myles who only ever seemed to try hard when playing for Queensland or Australia, Greg Bird who didn't know if he was a back rower or 5/8....and arguably (at the time), the two fastest wingers in the NRL in Kevin Gordon and David Mead.

He got them to the Semi's in 2009 and the Prelim Final in 2010. Though to be fair they did get the spoon in 2011. But they did improve to 11th and 9th respectively in 2012 and 2013 before he was replaced (by Neil Henry who proceeded to do nothing with them either) midway through 2014.

At Manly he'll have DCE, Tom and Jake Trbojevic, Kane Elgey, Joel Thompson, Curtis Sironen, Api Koroisau, Addin Fonua-Blake, Brian Kelly, and provided that we're being told the truth, Dylan Walker and Martin Taupau. Plus we'll still have Trent Hodkinson. Manese Fainu (court case pending) will be better for his run this year and a solid pre-season, something Moses Suli will also benefit from. And then knocking on the door will be the likes of Brad Parker, Tom Wright, Cade Cust and Jade Anderson. Plus Jorge Taufua should also be somewhere around the place along with Kelepi Tanginoa, Taniela Paseka and Jack Gosiewski.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting miracles (our 9th premiership), though that would be a wonderful surprise. But I do think Cartwright can do a lot more with our current (and future) players than Zoolander ever could.

Last edited:
For mine, this is something like what Cartwright should have to work with in 2019:

FB - Tom Trbojevic
WG -
CE - Dylan Walker
CE - Brian Kelly
WG - Moses Suli
FE - Kane Elgey
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans
PR - Addin Fonua-Blake
HK - Api Koroisau
PR - Martin Trupau
SR - Joel Thompson
SR - Curtis Sironen
LK - Jake Trbojevic

I've left one wing open as I am unsure about the status of Jorge, plus there are others such as Brad Parker, Jade Anderson and even Tom Wright.

The talent alone in that top 13 is top 8 quality. Not 15th out of 16 and definitely not wooden spooners.

For mine, this is something like what Cartwright should have to work with in 2019:

FB - Tom Trbojevic
WG -
CE - Dylan Walker
CE - Brian Kelly
WG - Moses Suli
FE - Kane Elgey
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans
PR - Addin Fonua-Blake
HK - Api Koroisau
PR - Martin Trupau
SR - Joel Thompson
SR - Curtis Sironen
LK - Jake Trbojevic

I've left one wing open as I am unsure about the status of Jorge, plus there are others such as Brad Parker, Jade Anderson and even Tom Wright.

The talent alone in that top 13 is top 8 quality. Not 15th out of 16 and definitely not wooden spooners.

The biggest issue isn’t our top 13 it’s our bench ( poor by other team standards) and when we get injuries.

As St Merge found out, field your top team week in week out and you’ll win many games BUT as soon as you get disruptions week in week out it’s a much harder job!!

For what its worth I am giving Cartwright a go, our main problem this year was attitude and mental toughness (along with no attacking plans and loss of confidence, poor structure and poor position and team selection, and did I mention a poor sooky inexperienced coach and providing uncomfortable chairs that gave the boys piles) I am firmly placing that at the feet of Boo Boo Barrett.

Cartwright may not be the best coach going around realistically we can't afford them, likewise we can't have marquee players in every position but we do have a solid team that with the right attitude can do a great deal better.
I dont agree we need Baloney, DCE needs a stable consistent type 5/8 that can steady the ship as he had with Green, Baloney is a similar player to DCE in that he is up and down, though to be fair he has his moments of wisdom just to many explosions along the way.

For what its worth I am giving Cartwright a go, our main problem this year was attitude and mental toughness (along with no attacking plans and loss of confidence, poor structure and poor position and team selection, and did I mention a poor sooky inexperienced coach and providing uncomfortable chairs that gave the boys piles) I am firmly placing that at the feet of Boo Boo Barrett.

Cartwright may not be the best coach going around realistically we can't afford them, likewise we can't have marquee players in every position but we do have a solid team that with the right attitude can do a great deal better.
I dont agree we need Baloney, DCE needs a stable consistent type 5/8 that can steady the ship as he had with Green, Baloney is a similar player to DCE in that he is up and down, though to be fair he has his moments of wisdom just to many explosions along the way.
The thing is we CAN afford them.

Let’s not forget from 2019 all teams need to work on the same football department Cap , fully funded by the NRL.

Although I’m not sure if we have TPA’s for coaches too!

The biggest issue isn’t our top 13 it’s our bench ( poor by other team standards) and when we get injuries.

As St Merge found out, field your top team week in week out and you’ll win many games BUT as soon as you get disruptions week in week out it’s a much harder job!!
I think Fainu, Paseka, Gosiewski and Tanginoa make a really good bench. The problem is we used Hodkinson, Matt Wright, Parker and a mix of others on the bench this year and proceeded to really only use two of them - leaving the other two with splinters.

Next year this bench (if used well) could be a real strength. Gosiewski is the one who might be the weakest link and could be replaced with Olakauatu later in the year if he can reach his potential.

The thing is we CAN afford them.

Let’s not forget from 2019 all teams need to work on the same football department Cap , fully funded by the NRL.

Although I’m not sure if we have TPA’s for coaches too!

True in an ideal world, but we might have to pay overs to attract them and the money only goes so far..... What more damage can Cartwright do ? If he has the job with hopefully a performance clause give him a go!!

Maloney is a little champ. I would love him guiding our wayward lost souls around the footy field.
Make it happen Manly

Can't see it, we have bought Elgey to play 5/8 ... would have him though in an instant

Oh I totally agree with you mate. 100% agree. But the top of the class that he'll be working with, provided they stay healthy, is a top 8 quality bunch. But as you say, its always a balance unless you have an unbelievably good run of luck with injuries etc, just like St Merge for the first 2/3's of this year.

Trent Barrett never really found that balance. And McGregor has definitely struggled to find it, especially in Widdop's absence.

And I thought this thread was going to be about one of our latest drug test results.

I've been very critical of his seeming inaction over his tenure here but I'll be backing him all the way.
I just want to see a team that has a go and at least, appears to have some direction.
And some wins...

And I thought this thread was going to be about one of our latest drug test results.

I've been very critical of his seeming inaction over his tenure here but I'll be backing him all the way.
I just want to see a team that has a go and at least, appears to have some direction.
And some wins...

What you have to remember though is that the assistant is just that, the 2IC who isn't really in charge of anything except maybe running a few of the training sessions. They put their input into things like team selection, games plans etc, but ultimately an assistant is just there to make the head coaches life a bit easier.

You'll find that the assistant coaches at most clubs are fairly anonymous when it comes to being in the spotlight, even if they are people like Cartwright who is a name in NRL circles.

Cartwright will probably have his own ideas on how the team should be playing, who should be playing (and in what position), their structures, their plays, their game plans. And they could be totally different to how its been done under Barrett. As to if it works or not remains to be seen.

We can do with any positive news we can get.

It's been that kind of year, and I'm expecting something will happen during Mad Monday that will have us all over the back pages.

Carty is not the bloke I want as the coach but it looks like he will be, I will back him for now and if he can get us in or close to the 8 next year then he has been successful.

I think we have a couple of good bench forwards in Tangles and Paseka (I did read something about attitude problems there though which is a worry). Jetski was disappointing this year because of injury and some stupidity meaning he spent more time off the field then on, but I'm still hopeful a decent run of games will see him show some form. Last bench spot might be worth giving Fainu a shot. I'd be happy with that 17 - there's Sipley, Frankenstein, and maybe Amone can step up from BWSE for further depth. Halves depth an issue and outside backs isn't great - Anderson might be something, but outside of that it's Parker and TGWH

Isn't the opposite also true then? If they had spent more money on backup that the first team would have been weakened so wouldn't have won as many games in the first place

I don't think there is any bench after an injury or two that I can look at and say wow I wish that was ours either.

I don't know where but there is a balance there somewhere.

Agree he has to have at least 4 games , even if we get trashed in round 1.
He was very good at the titans. They went from zero to a quality team real quick. Searle may have played a part in his undoing there I'm backing him. Maybe that smile when we lost to the panthers wasn't about losing to his former club but knowing the team weren't prepared and it was going to happen. Hard to be a robot. I'll give them ten games. The tapou talk is just talk I think we have a good halves procession in metcalfe and cust and I think even if Marty leaves you could find two players for his price and minutes on the field to do a job. The problem is finding them. Like halves proper front rowers have been affected by the Polynesian influx and the bloke who can play eighty minutes like mat prior or Ryan James are like hens teeth. We need a couple of blokes like that. AFB and tangles can do the twenty minute damage spells. Tillman is two years two late and James graham three. I like arrow though.

He was very good at the titans. They went from zero to a quality team real quick. Searle may have played a part in his undoing there I'm backing him. Maybe that smile when we lost to the panthers wasn't about losing to his former club but knowing the team weren't prepared and it was going to happen. Hard to be a robot. I'll give them ten games. The tapou talk is just talk I think we have a good halves procession in metcalfe and cust and I think even if Marty leaves you could find two players for his price and minutes on the field to do a job. The problem is finding them. Like halves proper front rowers have been affected by the Polynesian influx and the bloke who can play eighty minutes like mat prior or Ryan James are like hens teeth. We need a couple of blokes like that. AFB and tangles can do the twenty minute damage spells. Tillman is two years two late and James graham three. I like arrow though.

Yep the Poly boys are big and strong but can’t do 80 mins, Ryan James would be perfect!

Based on what I have seen, granted as an outsider with no real credible information, I wouldn't have chosen him.

But if the club employ him, I'll have no choice but to get behind him.

But if 2019 even half resembles 2018, the way @strone33 went at TBaz will be mild compared to what Horse will cop from me. I can't cope with another season like this one.

What you have to remember though is that the assistant is just that, the 2IC who isn't really in charge of anything except maybe running a few of the training sessions. They put their input into things like team selection, games plans etc, but ultimately an assistant is just there to make the head coaches life a bit easier.

You'll find that the assistant coaches at most clubs are fairly anonymous when it comes to being in the spotlight, even if they are people like Cartwright who is a name in NRL circles.

Cartwright will probably have his own ideas on how the team should be playing, who should be playing (and in what position), their structures, their plays, their game plans. And they could be totally different to how its been done under Barrett. As to if it works or not remains to be seen.
The assistant I want to poach is dave furner. He was at the cowboys as the attacking coach when they won the premiership.

He’s the current attacking coach at souths. Seibold gave him a massive rap on the radio this morning for what he’s done for their attack

Last edited:
The assistant I want to poach is don furner. He was at the cowboys as the attacking coach when they won the premiership.

He’s the current attacking coach at souths. Seibold gave him a massive rap on the radio this morning for what he’s done for their attack

Don Furner huh? The old bloke would be flattered @:D

I think you mean David Furner, the former Raiders back rower :rofl:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10