Something I Have Noticed Recently

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

CBreeagles

Reserve Grader
With how good the team is currently going, I've noticed on social media and even talking to some rugby league fans that we are no longer irrationally hated amongst the rugby league community.
I understand the hatred started back in the day but the 2000's era team was also hated severely. Nowadays talking to other fans they say they love our style of play and they love our new players (the Turbos, Taupau & Uate etc.)
It makes me wonder, will the irrational hatred ever come back? Where did it go? Is it because we haven't been as successful recently? Have we lost the mantra of the 'Silvertails'?

Damn it, you're right.

That has to be a number one priority ... get the hatred back!

Win a GF.
I wouldn't put it entirely down to a lack of success. More so I think, because of the huge player turnover, the Stewarts brothers, Watmough, Lyon and Matai although legends to us were despised by other fans. It's just funny because I used to hear; "Yeah I go for (insert team) and whoever's playing Manly this week." Now however, not so much.

Once we start to dominate again it will resurface.
At the moment we are novelty value to the nuffies.
And they are waiting for us to fail.
I always make sure I remind them of a belting we've inflicted on their sorry teams to give them something to hate in the mean time.
And as I say x it by 15 and you've got a Manly supporter.

The oldies of the sixties/seventies "they stole our top player and bought a premiership" era guys are getting thinner on the ground

I've noticed it to. A big part is the Trbojevics. They are very hard to hate. They are cut from the Steve Menzies mould, just so likeable.

i think the likes of Killer, snake, Gifty, skivvi, choc. Did tend to rub up opposition fans. Some like Choc because of their hardness, others like Jamie and Brett because they broke opposition hearts so often.

It will return. A 10 year period like we've just had and we wontbe popular!

If we pinch A couple of big names and win a comp, it will come flooding back
With all the money we have in the cap it shouldn't be too long for that to happen :)

It will all return as soon as everyone realises we are not a joke, as soon as we prove them wrong.... I feel the hate returning very soon, it also nearly sprung up after that "controversial" Newcastle win.

Success with players Walker, Taupau, Cherry-Evans, Lussick, Sironen and Fonua-Blake will spread irritation around the nrl very quickly

As someone said earlier, the older guys are not around so much these days and they don't use computers. There are also teams like Melbourne with their dirty tactics and Brisbane with their perpetual seven day turnaround that get most of the heat nowadays.

The oldies of the sixties/seventies "they stole our top player and bought a premiership" era guys are getting thinner on the ground

That's what I was thinking.

All the sheep that bought into Roy Masters b/s about the fibro's and the silvertails are thankfully looking for daisies to push up. The fact he freely admits this but the mob still chant 'down with manly' proves there are a lot of opposition fans sharing the same singular brain cell.

Journo's know this sells papers so are happy to perpetuate their misguided tribal allegiances in the hope to sell more future fish and chip paper.

The fact that rich clubs abound and many have received new stadiums is lost of the moronic majority.

Hopefully, the social media savvy generation who actually like to think rather than accept the institutionalised paradigm shall realise just how awesome we are.

- But you (and @TokyoEagle who just posted before me..lol) probably said it better!! :)

As someone said earlier, the older guys are not around so much these days and they don't use computers. There are also teams like Melbourne with their dirty tactics and Brisbane with their perpetual seven day turnaround that get most of the heat nowadays.
Melbourne would be a huge factor, most people hate that team.

It's because we play something akin to Ruud Gullit's sexy football. Impossible to hate...

I have definitely noticed a more favorable and less hostile attitude towards Manly and the Manly brand over the past ten years or so and from the general sporting public. I think that there has always been at least some genuine respect for Manly but probably since the failure of the Northern Eagles experiment , and the fact that the club has been able to re establish into a competitive club again and basically from scratch . More like a begrudging respect in this instance i feel .

Lots of reasons. The next generations are less interested in league anyway apart from a few strongholds

Coaches like des and tooves did not endear manly. tooves is well hated by all but manly. He is the nsw version of the hated whiney arse queenslander too numerous to mention.Manly kept the hate burning as it suited us more than anyone

But the further north you go the more hated we are despite a good following. Most families hand down recipes and traditions but up north hate is handed down in liberal doses. Thats why origin works so well. The tradition of handing down hate is seen as part of the family fabric.

Ive been banging on about this for decades that manly should look to lose the hate tag. Its fun for us supporters, but bad for business. Especially in the business of survival.

A few clubs are falling on there swords atm, taking the heat off manly but if we were not bankrolled it could be different

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4