So, you still want to sack Barrett?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Hasler and Barrett both coached teams to 13th position in their first year, if winning % alone prove anything why wouldn't both be sacked after their first year? Clearly with both of them at that stage the future is not known so would you sack both of them at the end of year one ?

The comparisons are COMPLETELY different.

Hasler had a roster to play with not too dissimilar to the basket case that is the current Newcastle Knights. Injuries aside, Barrett has had a far superior roster at his disposal.

Barrett elected not to select guys like Symonds and Mateo last season, even when available.

Not sure why I'm arguing this point though, because I'm a Barrett supporter. I want him to succeed. The three weeks play I saw was enough to think his structures & selections are very good - the team just needs to be switched on.

Also, the fact that I'm a Barrett supporter doesn't change that I think Tooves was treated like crap/unfairly from the club.

Bare in mind as well, with a sub-par roster, Hasler was able to get the boys into the 8 season 2. We are in there now, but gee, things are looking shady with The Storm coming in. Stats are stats. I don't make them up. Our performance under Barrett (especially at Brooky has been woeful).

If stats are stats Hasler is 37.5% and Ricky Stewart is 72% as career %, at the end of year 2004 ..................... because if you say anything else you are saying stats are not stats.

End of the day, Hasler is a very successful, quality coach, simple as that.

Barrett is yet (apart from a few games) to prove himself, to me. We miss the finals, he could well be sacked, and may not get another coaching gig for some time.

The one thing I haven't yet seen from Barrett is whether he can maintain discipline in the playing group. Ie, is he capable of being the arsehole boss who players fear if they don't aim up.

He is reasonably young and certainly his persona is young. Mary at Illawarra for example may be a similar age but he comes across as a mean 50 year old.

I think Barrett has the players buying in and he has shown a preparedness to drop players in the past. Respect and discipline can be achieved without the need to rip doors off their hinges or spew out a torrent of Bellamy-style abuse during the run of play. However this may be one area in which Barrett has yet to prove himself.

This week will tell us a bit more about him. I am expecting the players to rip in and give it a real crack for 80 (or more) minutes.

The comparisons are COMPLETELY different.

Hasler had a roster to play with not too dissimilar to the basket case that is the current Newcastle Knights. Injuries aside, Barrett has had a far superior roster at his disposal.

Barrett elected not to select guys like Symonds and Mateo last season, even when available.

Not sure why I'm arguing this point though, because I'm a Barrett supporter. I want him to succeed. The three weeks play I saw was enough to think his structures & selections are very good - the team just needs to be switched on.

Also, the fact that I'm a Barrett supporter doesn't change that I think Tooves was treated like crap/unfairly from the club.

Bare in mind as well, with a sub-par roster, Hasler was able to get the boys into the 8 season 2. We are in there now, but gee, things are looking shady with The Storm coming in. Stats are stats. I don't make them up. Our performance under Barrett (especially at Brooky has been woeful).
As per normal - an insightful and relevant post from you Ryan. Pretty much spot on - I'm not a Barrett fan - he seems deer in the headlights to me in a mighty tough gig plus I wonder if he could discipline the players or rather go to the team BBQ and have a few beers. If you look at a coach like Stuart and I've been critical of him - he seems to have that ability to understand his players needs, praise them and also I reckon give them a good serve when it's needed - they look scared of him in a good way. Hard to really know but I kinda can't see Trent delivering a volley to DCE or any player for that matter.

The one thing I haven't yet seen from Barrett is whether he can maintain discipline in the playing group. Ie, is he capable of being the arsehole boss who players fear if they don't aim up.

He is reasonably young and certainly his persona is young. Mary at Illawarra for example may be a similar age but he comes across as a mean 50 year old.

I think Barrett has the players buying in and he has shown a preparedness to drop players in the past. Respect and discipline can be achieved without the need to rip doors off their hinges or spew out a torrent of Bellamy-style abuse during the run of play. However this may be one area in which Barrett has yet to prove himself.

This week will tell us a bit more about him. I am expecting the players to rip in and give it a real crack for 80 (or more) minutes.
100% SER8 - spot on. See I rate your posts too.

A well known (but difficult to implement tactic) to beat a team with a well constructed defence, is to get as many off-loads as possible. This has the 2nd phase runner attacking a broken line. A quick play the ball then has the defence backing up ... and it's happy days. And also very difficult to counter and re-set when done well.

This is exactly what happened to Manly during the first 30 mins last Sat. and was a deliberate move by Mary, and Saints did it well. In a way it was a compliment to Manly's well structured defence over the past 3 weeks.

This is stupid
Roosters were flat after the War last week and can guarantee will be there when whips are cracking.
Will Manly??
Don't judge on today....my feel is after the MELBOURNE game the fans will be kissing Barrett's Ass
Are you kissing his arse? Not me .....

This is what I wrote on another thread regarding Barrett as our head coach.

"For the life of me I will never understand why Barrett was chosen to be the head coach, he never played for Manly, doesn't know our culture, too soft on our player's, no passion for Manly's history and doesn't even know our team song. "

This is mainly the reason why Barrett will never succeed as Manly coach and was probably the dumbest decision Fulton made when someone with 1st grade experience like Ivan Cleary was available at the time...

"For the life of me I will never understand why Barrett was chosen to be the head coach, he never played for Manly, doesn't know our culture, too soft on our player's, no passion for Manly's history and doesn't even know our team song. "

This is mainly the reason why Barrett will never succeed as Manly coach and was probably the dumbest decision Fulton made when someone with 1st grade experience like Ivan Cleary was available at the time...

Was Cleary available at the time? I think he was still coaching Penrith and it came as a surprise when he was replaced

These reasons for not wanting someone to coach are all idiotic. Three of them are basically the same thing just worded differently!

Maybe you should pull Bozo up at Narrabeen one day and explain to him how stupid he is.

These reasons for not wanting someone to coach are all idiotic. Three of them are basically the same thing just worded differently!

Maybe you should pull Bozo up at Narrabeen one day and explain to him how stupid he is.

Don't need to pull Bozo up because results are telling so far this year. Also no coach who never played for Manly has ever got Manly to a premiership.. ☺

Don't need to pull Bozo up because results are telling so far this year. Also no coach who never played for Manly has ever got Manly to a premiership.. ☺
The coaching field is pretty small as is so you won't get far nowadays limiting yourself to coaches that only played for your club.

Imo there no one else that the issue.
The golden era run of 05 to 15 i would hope a manly fg coaches comes from there.
My thoughts are killer - i know he already got some unofficial invovlement while ox before health issues was running an academy in the coast.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8