Smoking Joe… we need you

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The first round of the SG Ball, Harold Matt’s and Tarsha Gale Cup kicks off next Saturday. We play Wests at Campbelltown.

I understand why you needed to get away from some of the characters around here @Smokin Joe but it would be great to have you back to fill us in on the cattle lining up this season.

I’ll probably be in strife for using that term now that the TG girls are starting up!

Note ... This is written by a Parra bloke for Parra ...

Parramatta Eels Development Squads Matches – January 27, 2023: Eels vs Sea Eagles​

sixtiesJanuary 29, 2023 Junior Reps, Match Review, Opinion 14 Comments

The 2023 Parramatta Eels Junior pathways program continued on Friday night with three Development Squad matches staged under lights at Kellyville Park. Kicking off with an Under 16s game at 5:30, and two Under 15s games thereafter, each clash pitted the Eels against the Sea Eagles.

For those wondering why there were two 15s matches and only one 16s game, there was a 16s clash between the Eels and the Panthers last week at Windsor. The Eels won that game convincingly and those players who didn’t get a run in that win were given their opportunity this week against Manly.

As usual, with so many young players involved, a large crowd of family and friends were in attendance to cheer them on. My congratulations to all those in attendance for the positivity of their support.
C83E6FF8-02B0-401B-91BE-B123FA710CC6-scaled.jpeg

Part of the big roll up

I’ve provided team lists to give acknowledgement to the hard work of all the young players involved. Whether playing or not, they front up in their Eels kit, giving a professional look to the process.

Please remember, I’ve named try scorers and some involved in significant plays, but my report is not meant to be comprehensive. There will be those who played their role to the satisfaction of staff that probably don’t receive the mention in this report that they are due.

My apologies for any names that have been misspelt, as autocorrect was going berserk changing entries it didn’t like. Also, there are probably errors in naming the try scorers. Under the prevailing light conditions, it was extremely difficult to see jersey numbers. There were also some late jersey and team changes which added to the likelihood of mistakes.

Under 16s
Match Variations: Three 25 minute periods, no conversions, no line kicks for penalties (ball advanced 10 metres for any penalty tap restart)

Team List

Dylan Prior
Jordan Vandermade
David Kalati Toleafoa
Andres Johansson
Nathan Howlett
Kingston Cruz-Lake
Raymond Mikhael
Ryan Bath
Hunter Manu’a
Felipe Taufa’ao
Vagas Tuitama
Jacob Khalil
Joseph Flaviano

Replacements
Lachlan Gardiner
Michael Fililava
Leopino Malafu
Kingston Vaitusi
Connor Culnane
Steve Nassif
Jack Green
Jesse Urqueza
Kruger Roache

First Period
This game commenced encouragingly for the Eels when Manly turned over possession deep in their territory. Parra capitalised on this early advantage with runners hitting it up hard and straight. A pno frills charge at the line got the first try of the night and I’m crediting Lachlan Gardiner for that one despite my listing of him starting off the bench. (Again apologies if that was the wrong scorer).
A double from Manly ensued, with their halfback instrumental in both. In the first instance he did it all himself, running on the last and catching the Eels on the back foot. In the second he bounced out of a tackle close to the line, then fed the ball left for their centre to cross.
Parra then produced a big play from the kick off, finding the deal ball line and forcing a line drop out. Multiple charges at the line were frustrated by the Manly defence until big Michael Fililava proved unstoppable from close range.
End of first period – Score: Two tries all

Second Period
Manly edged ahead on the back of repeat sets, and it was again a short range try when they caught the Eels out with a scoot from dummy half.
With his team looking to strike back, a line break and powerful run from winger Jordan Vandermade put the Eels on the front foot. On cue, Michael Fililava tore through the heart of the Manly defence for his second try of the game to level the scores at the end of the period.
End of second period. Score: Eels 3 tries Sea Eagles 3 tries

Third Period
The final 25 minutes was owned by the Sea Eagles as they added four tries in quick succession.
That half back again ripped through the Eels defence for his second, before the fullback and winger crossed. I couldn’t determine who scored their final try. Two of those tries were the direct result of Parra losing the ball in the Manly quarter.
Fortunately Parra finished with the last say, and it should come as no surprise that Michael Fililava was the scorer. His size made him a difficult proposition for the Sea Eagles for the entire match.
Full Time. Score: Sea Eagles 7 tries – Eels 4
82770A45-16ED-4B06-9058-E86127291A66-scaled.jpeg

Some Takes
For Parra, there were good moments from individual players, but the team turned over way too much possession. In attack, there was an element of uncertainty on the last tackle. In defence, the communication and line speed went missing at crucial times and they needed to stick better after contact.
Having a squad of nearly 50 for the year gives a large group of local players access to higher level coaching, and for those looking to progress, exposure to the disciple required in higher grades. It also means that district players in that age group don’t slip through without being noticed.
However, it makes it difficult to achieve team cohesion. Half of the squad played last week. The other half today. Next year, those that are selected for Harold Matts will be part of a squad that’s around half that size.
For Manly, I was impressed with their athleticism. Their half and lock both performed very well and should feature in the future junior rep teams.

Under 15s Game 1
Match Variations: Two 30 minute halves, no conversions, no line kicks for penalties (ball advanced 10 metres for the penalty tap restart)

Team List
Darcey Feltham
Zavier Anjoul
Liam Boys
Jias Thomas-Aperhama
Joseph Wesser
Hayden Moynihan
Matthew Fakhr
Jazz Figure
Jireh-Trey Stewart
Jeremiah Kalolo
Zreika Hafez
Thomas Pinder
Stranz Schaumkel

Others Used
Mohamed Hage Obeid
Neston-Tino Edwards
Jack Vugrinec-Maka
Zach Withers
Kaimana Sleiman
George Youssef
Loltai Leatuafi Moli
Isaac Kusto

First Half
The Eels again opened the scoring. Michael Moynihan delivered a superb pass for centre Liam Boys to slice through the Manly defence for a classy try.
From there, momentum was with the visitors who went on a three try run. Finding success in all sectors of the Eels red zone, they crossed from dummy half, then added four pointers on the left wing and the right edge.
Despite Manly’s lead, Thomas Pinder was working hard at lock and pivot Michael Moynihan produced a couple of clever plays.
Half Time. Score: Sea Eagles 3 tries – Eels 1 try

Second Half
The handling from both teams fell away badly in the second half and the standard of the match dropped accordingly.
Isaac Kusto provided a highlight for the home team with a 15 metre weaving solo run out of dummy half to score under the posts.
Unfortunately for the Eels, the match ended on a sour note after a dropped pass around the half way line was scooped up by a Manly player who scooted away for the try. The full time siren rang out immediately after he crossed.
Full time. Score Manly 4 tries – Eels 2 tries
9F3D05E3-CC89-4A47-8F7E-FB8C4EBC234B-scaled.jpeg

Some Takes
Manly were a physically bigger side and unfortunately the Eels didn’t help their cause with their litany of dropped passes.
Much like the earlier 16s game, there were some good individual performances, and even nice second phase play from the forwards.
Stranz Schaumkel and Jack Vugrinec-Maka combined for a couple of highlight moments. Likewise Thomas Pinder and Darcey Feltham linked for a line break.
There were other good offloads throughout the game but unfortunately a subsequent pass was often dropped.
Without sounding repetitive, it’s a big squad divided into two for tonight’s trials. Though they would have trained as these teams, it’s obvious that the players need more familiarisation with each other.

Under 15s Game Two
Match Variations: Two 30 minute halves, no conversions, no line kicks for penalties (ball advanced 10 metres for the penalty tap restart)

Team List
Ali Jida Yacoub
Samuel Bosley
Khaled Kairouz
Aleli Pese
Jacob Saraya
Lachlan Metcalfe
Zain Alameddine
Cruise Puletu
Jonah Dayoub
Mark Peterson
Billy Fanene-Soliola
Michael Nauer
Hayden Bell

Others Used
Christian Mardini
Adam Deykohda
Finn Kusto
Pretorius Wilson
Hunter Mitchell
Jeziah Manu
Samuel Polley
Joshua Vaoga
Riley Davis

First Half
A try to fullback, Ali Jida Yacoub, made it three from three for the Eels for first try scorers tonight. Receiving the ball on the left edge inside the Manly quarter, the Parra custodian cut back sharply and accelerated through the Sea Eagles defence.
Not long after, an Eels error presented Manly with territory and possession and they made the Eels pay with a try from dummy half to level the scores.
The reply from the Eels came through centre Khaled Kairouz who pushed the home team back into the lead following another successful foray down their left edge.
Enter five-eighth Lachlan Metcalfe. In a two minute display of dazzling footwork and acceleration he firstly sliced through the Manly right side for try number one. He then fielded the kick off, beat the Manly chasers, and raced 60 metres for a spectacular solo effort.
Half Time. Score: Eels 4 tries – Sea Eagles 1

Second Half
Parra missed a golden opportunity to extend their lead when Christian Mardini nearly produced something out of nothing.
After some confusion about the last tackle option, the ball ended up with Mardini who grubbered the ball into a hole, quickly regathered it, then passed it to a support for the try. In a line ball decision the pass was called forward and Manly stayed in the contest.
It looked to be a crucial call as the Sea Eagles added the next two tries.
Parra gave themselves more breathing space when a good short ball at the line put Samuel Polley over. Manly weren’t to be denied and narrowed the margin to one try after the Eels allowed a kick to bounce.
With the match in the balance, Billy Fanene-Soliola got into open space down the left flank, and as the defence converged he kicked infield, finding Lachlan Metcalfe for the pivot’s third try.
Full Time. Score: Eels 6 tries – Sea Eagles 4 tries

C1E3D572-C252-426B-8AC5-A20A5C386327-scaled.jpeg

Some Takes

The Eels players in this game seemed slightly bigger and faster than the earlier 15s match. More importantly the handling was better which allowed for reasonable completions. Consequently, the Eels attack asked more questions.
Better completions also meant that players had more opportunity as a team, and some individuals were able to showcase their potential. They either looked good themselves or helped to make others good. It’s the expert eyes of coaches and development staff that determine who truly impressed.
These boys are a couple of years away from Matts level so for most there will be another year of Development squad work after this one.

Final Comments

My congratulations to all staff involved in staging this match. It was around 4 hours of football, with many players needing to be organised and given their opportunity.
The young players presented and played in a manner and spirit that was a credit to both clubs.
Eels forever!
Sixties
post-game.png

If you liked this article, you might consider supporting The Cumberland Throw.

Ok Smokin Joe - it's your time to join in mate....
I know for a fact there are many "New" juniors, but I know diddly squat about them, so can you just pop in for an update if possible?

Note ... This is written by a Parra bloke for Parra ...

Parramatta Eels Development Squads Matches – January 27, 2023: Eels vs Sea Eagles​

sixtiesJanuary 29, 2023 Junior Reps, Match Review, Opinion 14 Comments

The 2023 Parramatta Eels Junior pathways program continued on Friday night with three Development Squad matches staged under lights at Kellyville Park. Kicking off with an Under 16s game at 5:30, and two Under 15s games thereafter, each clash pitted the Eels against the Sea Eagles.

For those wondering why there were two 15s matches and only one 16s game, there was a 16s clash between the Eels and the Panthers last week at Windsor. The Eels won that game convincingly and those players who didn’t get a run in that win were given their opportunity this week against Manly.

As usual, with so many young players involved, a large crowd of family and friends were in attendance to cheer them on. My congratulations to all those in attendance for the positivity of their support.
C83E6FF8-02B0-401B-91BE-B123FA710CC6-scaled.jpeg

Part of the big roll up

I’ve provided team lists to give acknowledgement to the hard work of all the young players involved. Whether playing or not, they front up in their Eels kit, giving a professional look to the process.

Please remember, I’ve named try scorers and some involved in significant plays, but my report is not meant to be comprehensive. There will be those who played their role to the satisfaction of staff that probably don’t receive the mention in this report that they are due.

My apologies for any names that have been misspelt, as autocorrect was going berserk changing entries it didn’t like. Also, there are probably errors in naming the try scorers. Under the prevailing light conditions, it was extremely difficult to see jersey numbers. There were also some late jersey and team changes which added to the likelihood of mistakes.

Under 16s
Match Variations: Three 25 minute periods, no conversions, no line kicks for penalties (ball advanced 10 metres for any penalty tap restart)

Team List
Dylan Prior
Jordan Vandermade
David Kalati Toleafoa
Andres Johansson
Nathan Howlett
Kingston Cruz-Lake
Raymond Mikhael
Ryan Bath
Hunter Manu’a
Felipe Taufa’ao
Vagas Tuitama
Jacob Khalil
Joseph Flaviano

Replacements
Lachlan Gardiner
Michael Fililava
Leopino Malafu
Kingston Vaitusi
Connor Culnane
Steve Nassif
Jack Green
Jesse Urqueza
Kruger Roache

First Period
This game commenced encouragingly for the Eels when Manly turned over possession deep in their territory. Parra capitalised on this early advantage with runners hitting it up hard and straight. A pno frills charge at the line got the first try of the night and I’m crediting Lachlan Gardiner for that one despite my listing of him starting off the bench. (Again apologies if that was the wrong scorer).
A double from Manly ensued, with their halfback instrumental in both. In the first instance he did it all himself, running on the last and catching the Eels on the back foot. In the second he bounced out of a tackle close to the line, then fed the ball left for their centre to cross.
Parra then produced a big play from the kick off, finding the deal ball line and forcing a line drop out. Multiple charges at the line were frustrated by the Manly defence until big Michael Fililava proved unstoppable from close range.
End of first period – Score: Two tries all

Second Period
Manly edged ahead on the back of repeat sets, and it was again a short range try when they caught the Eels out with a scoot from dummy half.
With his team looking to strike back, a line break and powerful run from winger Jordan Vandermade put the Eels on the front foot. On cue, Michael Fililava tore through the heart of the Manly defence for his second try of the game to level the scores at the end of the period.
End of second period. Score: Eels 3 tries Sea Eagles 3 tries

Third Period
The final 25 minutes was owned by the Sea Eagles as they added four tries in quick succession.
That half back again ripped through the Eels defence for his second, before the fullback and winger crossed. I couldn’t determine who scored their final try. Two of those tries were the direct result of Parra losing the ball in the Manly quarter.
Fortunately Parra finished with the last say, and it should come as no surprise that Michael Fililava was the scorer. His size made him a difficult proposition for the Sea Eagles for the entire match.
Full Time. Score: Sea Eagles 7 tries – Eels 4
82770A45-16ED-4B06-9058-E86127291A66-scaled.jpeg

Some Takes
For Parra, there were good moments from individual players, but the team turned over way too much possession. In attack, there was an element of uncertainty on the last tackle. In defence, the communication and line speed went missing at crucial times and they needed to stick better after contact.
Having a squad of nearly 50 for the year gives a large group of local players access to higher level coaching, and for those looking to progress, exposure to the disciple required in higher grades. It also means that district players in that age group don’t slip through without being noticed.
However, it makes it difficult to achieve team cohesion. Half of the squad played last week. The other half today. Next year, those that are selected for Harold Matts will be part of a squad that’s around half that size.
For Manly, I was impressed with their athleticism. Their half and lock both performed very well and should feature in the future junior rep teams.

Under 15s Game 1

Team List
Darcey Feltham
Zavier Anjoul
Liam Boys
Jias Thomas-Aperhama
Joseph Wesser
Hayden Moynihan
Matthew Fakhr
Jazz Figure
Jireh-Trey Stewart
Jeremiah Kalolo
Zreika Hafez
Thomas Pinder
Stranz Schaumkel

Others Used
Mohamed Hage Obeid
Neston-Tino Edwards
Jack Vugrinec-Maka
Zach Withers
Kaimana Sleiman
George Youssef
Loltai Leatuafi Moli
Isaac Kusto

First Half
The Eels again opened the scoring. Michael Moynihan delivered a superb pass for centre Liam Boys to slice through the Manly defence for a classy try.
From there, momentum was with the visitors who went on a three try run. Finding success in all sectors of the Eels red zone, they crossed from dummy half, then added four pointers on the left wing and the right edge.
Despite Manly’s lead, Thomas Pinder was working hard at lock and pivot Michael Moynihan produced a couple of clever plays.
Half Time. Score: Sea Eagles 3 tries – Eels 1 try

Second Half
The handling from both teams fell away badly in the second half and the standard of the match dropped accordingly.
Isaac Kusto provided a highlight for the home team with a 15 metre weaving solo run out of dummy half to score under the posts.
Unfortunately for the Eels, the match ended on a sour note after a dropped pass around the half way line was scooped up by a Manly player who scooted away for the try. The full time siren rang out immediately after he crossed.
Full time. Score Manly 4 tries – Eels 2 tries
9F3D05E3-CC89-4A47-8F7E-FB8C4EBC234B-scaled.jpeg

Some Takes
Manly were a physically bigger side and unfortunately the Eels didn’t help their cause with their litany of dropped passes.
Much like the earlier 16s game, there were some good individual performances, and even nice second phase play from the forwards.
Stranz Schaumkel and Jack Vugrinec-Maka combined for a couple of highlight moments. Likewise Thomas Pinder and Darcey Feltham linked for a line break.
There were other good offloads throughout the game but unfortunately a subsequent pass was often dropped.
Without sounding repetitive, it’s a big squad divided into two for tonight’s trials. Though they would have trained as these teams, it’s obvious that the players need more familiarisation with each other.

Under 15s Game Two

Team List
Ali Jida Yacoub
Samuel Bosley
Khaled Kairouz
Aleli Pese
Jacob Saraya
Lachlan Metcalfe
Zain Alameddine
Cruise Puletu
Jonah Dayoub
Mark Peterson
Billy Fanene-Soliola
Michael Nauer
Hayden Bell

Others Used
Christian Mardini
Adam Deykohda
Finn Kusto
Pretorius Wilson
Hunter Mitchell
Jeziah Manu
Samuel Polley
Joshua Vaoga
Riley Davis

First Half
A try to fullback, Ali Jida Yacoub, made it three from three for the Eels for first try scorers tonight. Receiving the ball on the left edge inside the Manly quarter, the Parra custodian cut back sharply and accelerated through the Sea Eagles defence.
Not long after, an Eels error presented Manly with territory and possession and they made the Eels pay with a try from dummy half to level the scores.
The reply from the Eels came through centre Khaled Kairouz who pushed the home team back into the lead following another successful foray down their left edge.
Enter five-eighth Lachlan Metcalfe. In a two minute display of dazzling footwork and acceleration he firstly sliced through the Manly right side for try number one. He then fielded the kick off, beat the Manly chasers, and raced 60 metres for a spectacular solo effort.
Half Time. Score: Eels 4 tries – Sea Eagles 1

Second Half
Parra missed a golden opportunity to extend their lead when Christian Mardini nearly produced something out of nothing.
After some confusion about the last tackle option, the ball ended up with Mardini who grubbered the ball into a hole, quickly regathered it, then passed it to a support for the try. In a line ball decision the pass was called forward and Manly stayed in the contest.
It looked to be a crucial call as the Sea Eagles added the next two tries.
Parra gave themselves more breathing space when a good short ball at the line put Samuel Polley over. Manly weren’t to be denied and narrowed the margin to one try after the Eels allowed a kick to bounce.
With the match in the balance, Billy Fanene-Soliola got into open space down the left flank, and as the defence converged he kicked infield, finding Lachlan Metcalfe for the pivot’s third try.
Full Time. Score: Eels 6 tries – Sea Eagles 4 tries

C1E3D572-C252-426B-8AC5-A20A5C386327-scaled.jpeg

Some Takes
The Eels players in this game seemed slightly bigger and faster than the earlier 15s match. More importantly the handling was better which allowed for reasonable completions. Consequently, the Eels attack asked more questions.
Better completions also meant that players had more opportunity as a team, and some individuals were able to showcase their potential. They either looked good themselves or helped to make others good. It’s the expert eyes of coaches and development staff that determine who truly impressed.
These boys are a couple of years away from Matts level so for most there will be another year of Development squad work after this one.

Final Comments
My congratulations to all staff involved in staging this match. It was around 4 hours of football, with many players needing to be organised and given their opportunity.
The young players presented and played in a manner and spirit that was a credit to both clubs.
Eels forever!
Sixties
post-game.png

If you liked this article, you might consider supporting The Cumberland Throw.
Top job Woodsie - much appreciated 🤙

Come on ‘Smoking Joe’, come back to the fold. The information you provided was immeasurable and I am sure everyone appreciated it, and I certainly did.

I am sorry you had some issues, or abuse from some of our ‘keyboard warriors’, however, they are a minority of those who love your posts and insights. I never criticise any poster, however, many of my views have been castigated, and that’s fine, it’s just my opinion. I have an arsehole, so I have an opinion!

There are few posters on this site I always read and I won’t name them, however, I always read your posts, as you provided so much insight.

As for your issues with other posters, ‘smoking Joe’, just tell them to get….!

Thats life feathered friends

People come and go

But the legacy they live behind remains

All of the Silvertails have contributed to the forum

Some with knowledge others with controversy and others with humour

They have all inspired us or challenged us in some way

All good things must come to and end and sometimes a change is what we need

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4